Sponsored

Tesla starting to rehire supercharger folk

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
No, it is just a toxic executive who is in a panic because of slightly less than good quarterly results. All he knows to do is layoffs. Tesla would have been fine but he is doing a lot of damage to it now. The fact that we can even consider its financial position when in fact it has a good balance sheet shows just how much harm a bad CEO can cause.

The "Peter" principle applies once again. Seriously, the Robo-Taxi is a bet the company move? I have strong vibes of that time when a company decided to make a small pocket-sized computer with a touch screen and a cellular chip so it could act as a phone. The doubters doubted. The cynics laughed. The engineers worked hard, billions were spent, schedules slipped but they believed and through hard work and sacrifice made the Windows Phone what it is today.

Sponsored

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Just my two cents,
Reading between the lines, Elon feels the competitive advantage Tesla once enjoyed with ev’s is diminished daily, and with all the federal subsidies on the charger network, he likely sees the same. He was quoted the other day as saying it was a mistake to think of Tesla as a car manufacturer. I remember Louis Black had a pretty good comedy routine about that quote as well.
These signs to Tesla point to directing revenue to other areas. Areas that Musk feels they will regain the advantages that Tesla once enjoyed with the automobiles. They simply won’t see the return value per dollar spent as they once did if they continue with cars and charging.
This was dictated with speech to text, so apologies for any strange grammar syntax errors

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Just my two cents,
Reading between the lines, Elon feels the competitive advantage Tesla once enjoyed with ev’s is diminished daily, and with all the federal subsidies on the charger network, he likely sees the same. He was quoted the other day as saying it was a mistake to think of Tesla as a car manufacturer. I remember Louis Black had a pretty good comedy routine about that quote as well.
These signs to Tesla point to directing revenue to other areas. Areas that Musk feels they will regain the advantages that Tesla once enjoyed with the automobiles. They simply won’t see the return value per dollar spent as they once did if they continue with cars and charging.
This was dictated with speech to text, so apologies for any strange grammar syntax errors
Tesla advantage is battery tech and that SC network. I am seeing a selloff of TMC to one of the big three, maybe even Tesla just becoming a battery/SC network supplier.

Just look at their "all-new" vehicles, they are basically the same as the old.

On top of that the regular Joe is buying a Tesla, driving it and not knowing whether the value will go down another $10k that day.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Elon is pillaging the companies assets to fulfill his fantasies of robots, AI and robo taxis. The board should fire him and let him cash out his stock and start that company with the proceeds. Let someone else run Tesla who is able to focus on Tesla. He's no more focused on Tesla now than he is with Twitter.

I would add that he should have to Buy some of that intellectual property from Tesla as he starts that new venture as well since they own it not him.

edcoble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat (ER)
Occupation
Retired/former lawyer/former pastor
After reading the book "Elon Musk" by Walter Isaacson, I am inclined to believe it was a strategic move. He has done this sort of thing before. If he was not satisfied with the performance of the team, or not satisfied with how quickly they were responding to his direction for a drastic change in operation or organization, his method seems to be to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it like he wants it. He was obviously not happy with the way things were going with the Supercharger team.
Haven't read it...but am not a fan of Isaacson. I'd trust the notion of a strategic move if Bob Woodward had been the author who writes without fear of offending the subject.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Watching the Elon defenders come up with theories is like watching the proud parents of a "genius" six-year-old interpreting what the kid's latest drawing means. "It is an ironic take on Cubism". "It is the opening lines (in Sanskrit) of Bhagavad Gita." "It is a circuit diagram for a flux capacitor." "It is the ribosome of the tomato that he just squashed against the wall." "It is just too genius for anybody not on his level to understand."

Then some cynical jerk on the sidelines says "he was trying to draw a picture of the cat."

There is no business case for what he did, and although he has so much money that he can throw it all away if he wants, it is certainly unfair to the investors who he works for.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
No, it is just a toxic executive who is in a panic because of slightly less than good quarterly results. All he knows to do is layoffs. Tesla would have been fine but he is doing a lot of damage to it now. The fact that we can even consider its financial position when in fact it has a good balance sheet shows just how much harm a bad CEO can cause.

The "Peter" principle applies once again. Seriously, the Robo-Taxi is a bet the company move? I have strong vibes of that time when a company decided to make a small pocket-sized computer with a touch screen and a cellular chip so it could act as a phone. The doubters doubted. The cynics laughed. The engineers worked hard, billions were spent, schedules slipped but they believed and through hard work and sacrifice made the Windows Phone what it is today.
Long story short, he liked "Total Recall" and not "The Fifth Element"

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
After reading the book "Elon Musk" by Walter Isaacson, I am inclined to believe it was a strategic move.
"The Walter Isaacson-Kara Swisher Showdown" is an episode from "On", the podcast of long time Silicon Valley reporter Kara Swisher.

She has known Elon Musk since he was just starting out. She calls Isaacson a friend.

She publicly broke with Elon not that long ago as he drifted down into where he is now. She is quite critical of Isaacson's view of Elon. There is a transcript of the podcast on the "NY Intelligencer", subtitled "Kara Swisher grills the author", i.e. Isaacson.

Electric Messiah

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
With all the instability in the corner office, have to wonder at the Tesla charging standard being universally adopted despite its technological advantages.
Sponsored