• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
It’s been great!

We’re about a third of the way through my first boating season with the Lightning, and I’ve been more than impressed. My usual run to the lake is 50-75 miles each way with my 5,500 lb Monterey 224 FS. I tow between 60-70 MPH with my Lightning XLT ER, and my efficiency has settled into about 1.2 mi/kWh. My longest run was 144 miles round-trip, and I ended the day at 9%. I’ve pulled the boat about 800 miles so far.

I monitor my temperatures with an OBD scanner, and I haven’t found a reason to want more cooling. My battery temps stay a few degrees above ambient, and the motor temperatures are consistently between 130-140º F. When I romp on the pedal to accelerate to 70 MPH, they peak around 158-160º and come back down within a few seconds. The temperature sliders on the instrument cluster have never moved, so I’m sure there’s a lot more tolerance.

My truck pulls more confidently than every F150 or diesel Super Duty I’ve owned before, and I think much of that is the tight IRS setup that keeps the rear end solidly planted through every curve. It’s a hekuva lot of fun surprising people at stop lights who don’t expect this boat to accelerate anywhere near this fast. I can see Max Tow being useful for cooling if I were pulling this much on a trip with DCFC sessions, but the standard cooling seems more than adequate for what I’m doing. I haven’t seen any thermal throttling or sign that the truck was getting too warm, and I’m not conservative with the throttle.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_2284

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_2285

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_2034

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! PXL_20240422_162532094_Original

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! PXL_20240519_191404934_Original

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_2067
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
they are a lot more capable trucks than many give credit to them!
AMEN!
Unfortunately, like everything else nowadays it’s become political somehow? One thing I truly miss is being able to agree to disagree and not being hated/maligned/canceled /etc. because we disagree!

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
AMEN!
Unfortunately, like everything else nowadays it’s become political somehow? One thing I truly miss is being able to agree to disagree and not being hated/maligned/canceled /etc. because we disagree!
This forum isn’t as bad as some other forums that share space with super duty trucks. There are hater's that lurk on the EV side and insult posters on every thread that posts positive EV statements.

I love to read positive towing posts. I love seeing the pictures of EVs towing. What a great truck the Lightning is. So much utility.

LSUT1GER

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Engineer
It’s been great!

We’re about a third of the way through my first boating season with the Lightning, and I’ve been more than impressed. My usual run to the lake is 50-75 miles each way with my 5,500 lb Monterey 224 FS. I tow between 60-70 MPH with my Lightning XLT ER, and my efficiency has settled into about 1.2 mi/kWh. My longest run was 144 miles round-trip, and I ended the day at 9%. I’ve pulled the boat about 800 miles so far.

I monitor my temperatures with an OBD scanner, and I haven’t found a reason to want more cooling. My battery temps stay a few degrees above ambient, and the motor temperatures are consistently between 130-140º F. When I romp on the pedal to accelerate to 70 MPH, they peak around 158-160º and come back down within a few seconds. The temperature sliders on the instrument cluster have never moved, so I’m sure there’s a lot more tolerance.

My truck pulls more confidently than every F150 or diesel Super Duty I’ve owned before, and I think much of that is the tight IRS setup that keeps the rear end solidly planted through every curve. It’s a hekuva lot of fun surprising people at stop lights who don’t expect this boat to accelerate anywhere near this fast. I can see Max Tow being useful for cooling if I were pulling this much on a trip with DCFC sessions, but the standard cooling seems more than adequate for what I’m doing. I haven’t seen any thermal throttling or sign that the truck was getting too warm, and I’m not conservative with the throttle.

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2285.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

PXL_20240422_162532094_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240519_191404934_Original.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg
Love the raised white letters on your tires! I didn't know they still made those. I want a set on my Lightning. Are they Firestones? Which Firestone tire is it?

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I love the easy torque when the Lightning just quietly walks up the wet ramp while easily pulling the boat out with no engine rev noises, no wheel spin (locked rear diff.), and no drama whatsoever.

However, the reverse pinging noise is kind of annoying when backing the trailer into the water.

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Love the raised white letters on your tires! I didn't know they still made those. I want a set on my Lightning. Are they Firestones? Which Firestone tire is it?
Yup, these are Firestone Destination A/T2s. I chose them because they carry the 3PMSF snow rating, and they did great last winter.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_1388

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
I love my DEFENDR LTX MS2 tires they have been great also.

lister coggs

First Name
Lister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SR
Do you have an ER or an SR? Because the ER without max tow has a rating of 7700lbs, so you're still well within acceptable rating.

(Edit: Nevermind, just saw your response on my other thread! Maybe Ford just created these ratings to encourage buyers to purchase the higher-end models.)

Last edited:

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_9890
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_9852
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing a 5,500 lbs boat without Max Tow... it's been great! IMG_9849

Ditto on all the towing remarks.

Luvvit !

and the Frunk is a great place to store the boat cover too….
Sponsored