Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I'm wondering too - what's available via the rather complex and scary FDRS/Forscan upgrade path is supposed to be BC 1.4, while now what's shipping via OTA is 1.3. what are the differences?

The 1.4 upgrade via FDRS is so resource intensive I question whether it could ever be applied by OTA at least without major, major changes to the behavior of numerous vehicle systems during upgrade. I believe the behavior of running the cooling system during upgrades would probably have to be stopped and/or the DC-DC converter would have to be enabled (I think this means contactors for the HV pack would have to be closed that are now open in "accessory mode" but I'm not sure) to maintain 12V battery condition. They have a real problem there. Maybe 1.3 is different in this regard.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I'm so far behind in updates on my 23. I just received 6.2 last night. It might be the end of year before I see the blue cruise update.
It may be next year before any of us receive BC 1.4. Itā€™s been promised for so long Iā€™ve just about given up on it ever coming to us early adopters (2022).

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I'm wondering too - what's available via the rather complex and scary FDRS/Forscan upgrade path is supposed to be BC 1.4, while now what's shipping via OTA is 1.3. what are the differences?

The 1.4 upgrade via FDRS is so resource intensive I question whether it could ever be applied by OTA at least without major, major changes to the behavior of numerous vehicle systems during upgrade. I believe the behavior of running the cooling system during upgrades would probably have to be stopped and/or the DC-DC converter would have to be enabled (I think this means contactors for the HV pack would have to be closed that are now open in "accessory mode" but I'm not sure) to maintain 12V battery condition. They have a real problem there. Maybe 1.3 is different in this regard.
This was brought up in the Mach E forum yesterday. The answer is: Nobody knows for sure. The IPMA update the Mach E's are getting with this OTA differs from the one in FDRS that has been believed to be part of the BC 1.4 puzzle for many months now. Unlike the 7.0.0 OTA for BC 1.4 that was problematic and was pulled, this BC 1.3 OTA only updates the IPMA where as the BC 1.4 update updated 4 modules with one update.

I learned recently the DC/DC is enabled on the EV's for updates that require the vehicle to be inhibited. This update required the Mach E that I checked to be inhibit for 45 minutes while it installed.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
This was brought up in the Mach E forum yesterday. The answer is: Nobody knows for sure. The IPMA update the Mach E's are getting with this OTA differs from the one in FDRS that has been believed to be part of the BC 1.4 puzzle for many months now. Unlike the 7.0.0 OTA for BC 1.4 that was problematic and was pulled, this BC 1.3 OTA only updates the IPMA where as the BC 1.4 update updated 4 modules with one update.

I learned recently the DC/DC is enabled on the EV's for updates that require the vehicle to be inhibited. This update required the Mach E that I checked to be inhibit for 45 minutes while it installed.
Can you tell if the IPMA update going to these vehicles is newer or older than the one thatā€™s been in FDRS? Has the EA update gone to cars that had previously been brought up to date?

I have been told that at least the PSCM update is a key component in the lane holding improvements associated with the newer BC versions, really interesting that this is purely an IPMA update.

Sponsored

JohnsonEJ23

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Is it really possible to force a module or power update with Forscan? If so, do you know if there are instructions posted somewhere?

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Can you tell if the IPMA update going to these vehicles is newer or older than the one thatā€™s been in FDRS? Has the EA update gone to cars that had previously been brought up to date?

I have been told that at least the PSCM update is a key component in the lane holding improvements associated with the newer BC versions, really interesting that this is purely an IPMA update.
It is newer, but it is being called 1.3 which is confusing, but that's what it is. When updating with FDRS, the PSCM & IPMA updates are tied together and have to done at the same. The one Mach E I checked that got the 1.3 OTA did not show any updates pending in FDRS for the IPMA or PSCM when the OTA installed, but PTS says only the IPMA is updated.

Is it really possible to force a module or power update with Forscan? If so, do you know if there are instructions posted somewhere?
Possible, yes. There are no instructions to do this posted anywhere as far as I know. Even if there were, you would need the files.

JohnsonEJ23

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Possible, yes. There are no instructions to do this posted anywhere as far as I know. Even if there were, you would need the files.
Is anyone aware of where these files could be found?

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Is anyone aware of where these files could be found?
No where that I know of. You'd need to pull them off of another vehicle with FORScan, I guess. It's something I have never messed with because it goes beyond the scope of things I am comfortable doing.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

My notice said 95 minutes. I didn't time it.

Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
My 2022 Mach-E got it. 2022 Lightning has not.
That is correct. My 2021 MachE has 1.4.
Lane centering, Lane change, Lane shift when trucks/buses approach or/and passed, BC stays engaged at speeds 75mph and above.
The Lightning doesnā€™t yet. Iā€™ve been waiting for the update to come, patiently. Since the BC became inoperable couple months ago due to a partial update, I havenā€™t received one OTA update since then.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Lane centering, Lane change, Lane shift when trucks/buses approach or/and passed, BC stays engaged at speeds 75mph and above.
The Lightning doesnā€™t yet. Iā€™ve been waiting for the update to come, patiently. Since the BC became inoperable couple months ago due to a partial update, I havenā€™t received one OTA update since then.
Why do you think you have 1.4?

Also - BC 1.0 works to 80mph.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Our 21 Mach-e and 22 Lightning are both still on BC 1.0. šŸ˜„
Sponsored