• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Blended Braking vs Tesla Style Regen from One Pedal Only

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Not being a Tesla owner and only having test driven them on a few occasions, it took me a while to fully grok that Teslas don't do blended braking from their brake pedal. They only regen with one-pedal driving when you lift off the accelerator.

Apparently some other EV's have tried blended braking in the past and it resulted in an unsatisfactory braking experience. But the blended braking experience in the Ford F150 Lightning is so good, I hardly gave it any thought. Never even felt motivated to try out the one-pedal mode which is supposed to feel more like driving a Tesla.

This seems like a feature Ford should be touting to help attract drivers who are new to EVs. No relearning how to drive. Use the brake pedal to brake and you automatically get optimized regen efficiency gains.
Sponsored

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
yes I totally agree. I had a Tesla model s and I like using the blended brake/regen of the ford much better. I like to coast and its hard to do in the Tesla.

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
I tend to like the braking in my Model S better, but that's because I live on a hill and don't need to touch the brakes on the way down. With the Lightning, I'm forced to apply the breaks since it coasts more when off the accelerator.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I tend to like the braking in my Model S better, but that's because I live on a hill and don't need to touch the brakes on the way down. With the Lightning, I'm forced to apply the breaks since it coasts more when off the accelerator.
Brakes...

Turn on Sport mode.

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
Brakes...

Turn on Sport mode.
I should have clarified - I like the regenerative braking in the Model S more since it requires less of me ever having to touch the brake pedal.

Were you saying that turning out Sport mode on the Lightning would increase the regen braking?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I should have clarified - I like the regenerative braking in the Model S more since it requires less of me ever having to touch the brake pedal.

Were you saying that turning out Sport mode on the Lightning would increase the regen braking?
Yes - Sport mode increases the amount of regen in "1-pedal" model.

MyJoule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lightning Platinum
I'm pretty sure one of the more recent software updates added a form of blended braking to the Tesla Model S- At least mine has something now where it will use the friction brakes if there isn't enough regen available when "coasting"

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Way better than the hybrid Camry I drove 15 years ago, you had to hold the gear selector in regen. Great mileage though.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I'm pretty sure one of the more recent software updates added a form of blended braking to the Tesla Model S- At least mine has something now where it will use the friction brakes if there isn't enough regen available when "coasting"
But that friction braking is still controlled by the accelerator pedal.
Teslas never activate regen braking from the brake pedal - the brake pedal on a Tesla can only activate the friction brakes..
The Ford brake pedal always engages regen first (to the extent available) before applying the friction brakes.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Yes - Sport mode increases the amount of regen in "1-pedal" model.
It increases the simulated engine drag in 2-pedal mode as well. Either way, it's what @trailcat should try.

Sponsored

YellowGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Never owned a Tesla and I always assumed Tesla had blended braking. That explains when a friend of mine asked about it. He assumed the truck wasn't regenning because I didn't have one pedal driving on and was using the break pedal constantly. I told him of course it was regenerating with breaking, why wouldn't it? Seemed obvious, but I guess it's not.

Amazed Ford beat them to the punch on that. What a great additional way I'm pleasantly surprised (yet again) with the Lightning.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Do our trucks use blended braking in 1-pedal mode or is it only regen?

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
I think our trucks and Tesla use the friction brakes at the very end to come to a complete stop and to "hold" in 1 -pedal mode.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I drive in normal mode and one pedal and haven't come upon a hill where I've ever had to hit the brakes when going down the hill, no matter how steep it may be.
Sponsored