• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Ford Charge Pro Faster than ChargePoint HomeFlex?

Michael Levy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F160 Lightning XLT
I have seen threads comparing the ChargePoint Homeflex chargers vs the Forge Charger Pro, but what I don’t understand is they both claim to deliver 19kwh, while using different amperage. The home flex utilizes a 60 amp circuit while the Ford Pro utilizes a 100 amp circuit. Do they both charge at the same rate?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have seen threads comparing the ChargePoint Homeflex chargers vs the Forge Charger Pro, but what I don’t understand is they both claim to deliver 19kwh, while using different amperage. The home flex utilizes a 60 amp circuit while the Ford Pro utilizes a 100 amp circuit. Do they both charge at the same rate?
No, they don't charge at the same rate.

The ChargePoint HomeFlex has a max charge rate of 50amps, which is why it's on a 60amp circuit. The Ford Charge Station Pro has a max charge rate of 80amps, which is why it's on a 100amp circuit.

80 x 240 x 90% (assumes 10% loss) = 17.3kW

50 x 240 x 90% = 10.8kW.

So the Ford Charge Station Pro is 60% faster, which may or may not matter to you. Normal daily usage of battery times battery size, divided by charge rate = time to charge. You may also have a lower electricity rate overnight, which may limit your charge window if you're trying to keep the cost down.

Also, keep in mind that all SR Lightnings have a max AC charge rate of 48amps. And that the 2024 Lightnings have the same limit (unless it's a Fleet ordered vehicle with 80amps specified).

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I have both. The CPHF charges the Mustang and all other EVs at about 11 kW when wired for and set at 50A (60A circuit). The FCSP, when wired for and set at 80A (100A circuit), charges the Lightning at about 19 kW and other EVs at about 11 kW.

OP
OP

Michael Levy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F160 Lightning XLT
No, they don't charge at the same rate.

The ChargePoint HomeFlex has a max charge rate of 50amps, which is why it's on a 60amp circuit. The Ford Charge Station Pro has a max charge rate of 80amps, which is why it's on a 100amp circuit.

80 x 240 x 90% (assumes 10% loss) = 17.3kW

50 x 240 x 90% = 10.8kW.

So the Ford Charge Station Pro is 60% faster, which may or may not matter to you. Normal daily usage of battery times battery size, divided by charge rate = time to charge. You may also have a lower electricity rate overnight, which may limit your charge window if you're trying to keep the cost down.

Also, keep in mind that all SR Lightnings have a max AC charge rate of 48amps. And that the 2024 Lightnings have the same limit (unless it's a Fleet ordered vehicle with 80amps specified).
So are you saying that I would not be able to charge my lightning xlt at 19kwh anyway?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So are you saying that I would not be able to charge my lightning xlt at 19kwh anyway?
What is your trucks model year and battery capacity SR or ER?

Ford F-150 Lightning Is Ford Charge Pro Faster than ChargePoint HomeFlex? 1722356673274-o2

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP

Michael Levy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F160 Lightning XLT
The FCSP is a wasted resource for your truck, get the 50amp from Ford or any reliable manufacturer
Thank you. On a different note, what about using the Tesla supercharger stations with appropriate adapter. Am I able to get the full benefit from those?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thank you. On a different note, what about using the Tesla supercharger stations with appropriate adapter. Am I able to get the full benefit from those?
Your DCFC session is not impacted by the 48 amp AC/DC limitations on SR trucks and majority of 2024 Lightnings

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To take advantage of the fastest Level 2 (240 volts AC) charge rate of the FCSP, you need two things:

1. An extended range Lightning from 2023 or before. This vehicle has two AC chargers built in and can take advantage of the 80A current provided by the FCSP if...
  2. The FCSP is wired and configured to provide 80A current, which requires a 100A circuit and for the hardware to be configured to provide 80A current.

The DC Fast Charging is independent of the Level 2 charging rate.

Your Standard Range Lightning will charge at an ever-so-slightly lower power than the Extended Range Lightning because of the need to keep the average charge rate below a battery size to power ratio. Screen grab from this video by @tommolog

Ford F-150 Lightning Is Ford Charge Pro Faster than ChargePoint HomeFlex? Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 10.26.23 AM

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
As noted by others, the Ford one charges significantly faster on an ER battery **if** you pay the big bucks to hook up a 100 amp circuit. But chances are you don't need it. I am charging at 32 amps (~7 kW) which is 6% per hour on my ER. Typical daily usage recharges in 2-3 hours tops. Unless you have really unusually high daily usage and a short time to recharge, I'd keep it simple.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As noted by others, the Ford one charges significantly faster on an ER battery **if** you pay the big bucks to hook up a 100 amp circuit. But chances are you don't need it. I am charging at 32 amps (~7 kW) which is 6% per hour on my ER. Typical daily usage recharges in 2-3 hours tops. Unless you have really unusually high daily usage and a short time to recharge, I'd keep it simple.
Agreed. We installed the FCSP on 100A because we were building a new workshop/garage and the local code requires a minimum of 50A EV service installation on new builds, so we installed the 100A circuit directly behind the new panel (less than a meter of length), so the overall cost for 100A vs 50A was negligible.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
so the overall cost for 100A vs 50A was negligible.
It was for your install but varies for each person and their place. New is always cheaper than a retro also.

For many they may not have the capacity for their main, for some the utility may not have the capacity sweep in old homes….

So yes I agree the overall cost of it is just the wire for a short run and the breaker is not a huge difference, it is the possibility of upgrading your service that could be the limiting factor, plus just your bus size. Do you have room for that one extra double pole🤷‍♂️

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X