Let’s All Try Not to Be ‘That Guy.’

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
That's what it used to be like in the early days with Tesla drivers. Everywhere you went, all the charging station were taken up by Teslas, despite them having huge batteries compared to anything else at the time. Also, they never checked in on plug share. I kind of feel like we're getting a little retribution now that Superchargers are open to non-Teslas and they now have to wait for us. :D Obviously, I get it. There's no reason to blame all current Tesla owners for the bad etiquette of a few owners 10 years ago.

InTheCloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
This article is stupid, and emboldens folks to attack those of us who have a legitimate need to charge to a higher percentage. To wit, if you are an EA subscriber leaving L.A., and traveling I5, you are putting a lot of trust in the EA service in Bakersfield being operational; if not, you are going over 100 miles at 70+ mph to get to the next EA charger. Similar issues exist between Paso Robles Monterey Bay, should Soledad be out of order. And That's when range anxiety starts to set in.

EA is deflecting the blame for their slow rollout and poor uptime performance.

Honestly on the next long trek, I'd rather wait the 45 minutes to get from 80% to 100%, rather than "charger hop" and to have to wait in line for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to even get on a charger at the next stop.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
The problem is that in those 45 minutes, two and a half EV6s could charge from 10% to 80%. It is really inconsiderate to make them wait while you charge at L1 speeds.

A better strategy would be to charge to 80% and then find a L2 charger to complete your charge at.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
The problem is that in those 45 minutes, two and a half EV6s could charge from 10% to 80%. It is really inconsiderate to make them wait while you charge at L1 speeds.

A better strategy would be to charge to 80% and then find a L2 charger to complete your charge at.
There's an Ikea, Costco and several other stores in a strip mall in El Cajon, CA. They have an EVGO station that is cool except the highest speed is 50 kW. It's got 2 "DCFC" cabinets, and a J1772 cable. Perfect for moving once you hit a slow speed.

There's also a bank of Tesla SCs and ChargePoint L2 chargers in the parking lot. Great place to go for many options :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Apparently EA can.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
This thread is clickbait... would be nice if the post included a TLDR or some mention of what the link was about

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
This thread is clickbait... would be nice if the post included a TLDR or some mention of what the link was about
To add it now, it's a rehash of a story that was posted in a thread already that EA is testing killing charging at 80% SOC at inner city chargers (not road trip chargers) and I guess immediately going into "idle fees"
I think because it's part of the communications protocols of CCS, so in this case both the truck and charger are just following the standard. It is kind of nice to see what SOC people are at while charging, but that's very much "nosy neighbor" activity. Ideally I would think it's so you can see your SOC from a distance, like from the store or restaurant window, but every EA screen around here is so sunburned I can't read it even up close.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
😎. Made you look.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
"Inner City chargers" is probably the key here. NYC has huge incentives for taxi and app car drivers to switch to EVs, which are mostly Model Ys, and Tesla recently pulled out of a plan to actually provide adequate charging for them in several convenient locations in the city and at the airports. The result is that every fast charger within about 10 miles of the city limits, regardless of network, is totally overrun with charging taxis. Tesla put in a $1/minute fee past 80% to discourage this, and it made things very slightly better at the Superchargers but resulted in the nearby EA and EVgo locations, which have many less chargers, becoming basically unusable. Taxi drivers are very price sensitive and also definitely won't take a side trip out of the city to charge more than once per shift if there's any way they can avoid it. This will push the ones using other networks back to Tesla unless Musk does the same thing.

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I kind of agree with both sides of this! If you are in a city, there are generally more charging options available however, if you are on a road trip there are generally not as many options. This should improve as EV adoption is still growing, (although at a slower rate than it was) so they are building more chargers, which will help all of us and the need to “top off“ will become less of a necessity.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Hopefully in the future all 'topping off' will be by level 2 charging all over the place while people sleep.
Sponsored