• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+]

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So how do you explain the behavior of my '24 Lariat when they had trouble activating the Connected Navigation trial? There was no nav capability and it wasn't just me trying it. The Service Manager came out to look at it and couldn't get it to work either. Nothing but a map.
I have no idea what the issue was with your truck. But built-in navigation stays with the truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
I have no idea what the issue was with your truck. But built-in navigation stays with the truck.
Ok, maybe you can try an experiment. This is what the normal Nav screen in my '24 Lariat looks like with Connected Navigation enabled:

Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723746075604-b9

If I go into settings and disable Connected Navigation, I get this warning:

Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723746143744-5

Then if I go back to the nav screen:

Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723746199409-er

No way to enter an address and if I use the voice command to navigate to a destination it says "Navgation system unavailable". It is nothing but a location map.

This is the exact behavior of my vehicle when I was taking delivery and the Trial was not activated. Of note, the setting for Connected Navigation was on in the settings, but without the active subscription from Ford, it acted like it was disabled.

Does your '22 exhibit the same behavior if you disable Connected Navigation or can you still navigate, just without the live update and etc.?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
On the non-EVs, it is trim-based. Lariat and above get destination navigation. XLTs and lower just get a map.

Just turning off the connection doesn't mimic the built-in navigation.

OP
OP

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
On the non-EVs, it is trim-based. Lariat and above get destination navigation. XLTs and lower just get a map.

Just turning off the connection doesn't mimic the built-in navigation.
But it sure seems to. I turned off Connected Navigation in settings and I lose navigation completely.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
But it sure seems to. I turned off Connected Navigation in settings and I lose navigation completely.
I'm going to agree with you. On my 2022 Lariat ER I am seeing completely different screens than you. Incredible that Ford would do this.

When I click Settings .. Connectivity I see this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723756479909-vr

If I click the "i" icon next to Connected Navigation, I get this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723756549665-1f

If I click Connected Nav to the off position, I get this warning:
Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723756764824-h2

This is a different screen than yours. Just says I won't get Live Traffic and "updates".

I click Continue and the slider is in the off position:
Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723756668440-f8

But I can still search on the main screen:
Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723756705260-bu

When I turn Connected Navigation back on, I get this message:
Ford F-150 Lightning Connected Sync 4 Navigation monthly cost? [2024+] 1723756973751-c1

To close the loop make sure you have the other things checked that are required. I.e., that you have also turned on Vehicle Connectivity, Share Vehicle Location, and Share Vehicle Data. Some people have been turning those off for privacy reasons.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
I'm going to agree with you. On my 2022 Lariat ER I am seeing completely different screens than you. Incredible that Ford would do this.

When I click Settings .. Connectivity I see this:
1723756479909-vr.png

If I click the "i" icon next to Connected Navigation, I get this:
1723756549665-1f.png

If I click Connected Nav to the off position, I get this warning:
1723756764824-h2.png

This is a different screen than yours. Just says I won't get Live Traffic and "updates".

I click Continue and the slider is in the off position:
1723756668440-f8.png

But I can still search on the main screen:
1723756705260-bu.png

When I turn Connected Navigation back on, I get this message:
1723756973751-c1.png

To close the loop make sure you have the other things checked that are required. I.e., that you have also turned on Vehicle Connectivity, Share Vehicle Location, and Share Vehicle Data. Some people have been turning those off for privacy reasons.
...and there it is.

Thank you for testing this. Ford is NOT lying about completely disabling navigation if you do not continue to subscribe and pay for Connected Navigation on 2024 Lariats (and I'm sure Flash and XLTs) after the trial. Is there anyone out there with a 2024 Platinum that can check this?

Congratulations Ford, you are the new BMW charging for seat heaters we already paid for.

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
I got a 24 lariat and turning CN does what yours does but who cares. Ford nav is utter trash compared to google maps or apple maps. Ok you cant pre heat your battery for DCFC with out ford nav “ for now “ At least we got a heat pump 😂🤣

OP
OP

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
I got a 24 lariat and turning CN does what yours does but who cares. Ford nav is utter trash compared to google maps or apple maps. Ok you cant pre heat your battery for DCFC with out ford nav “ for now “ At least we got a heat pump 😂🤣
I care.

Until Android Auto or Carplay can integrate with the onboard systems to understand SOC and provide dynamic routing based on efficiency and become aware of chargers, it's a mess. I also own two Teslas and driving from Denver to Myrtle Beach is no more complex than setting the destination in nav and driving. It plans all of my charging stops and dynamically changes those stops based on efficiency and availability at chargers.

In addition, not being able to precondition before DCFC is a big deal. Not only will it take longer to charge at stops, it is harder on the battery.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Until Android Auto or Carplay can integrate with the onboard systems to understand SOC and provide dynamic routing based on efficiency and become aware of chargers, it's a mess.
Apple Maps can do this. The trick is that in your Maps profile you have to tell it what vehicle you have. Once it knows you drive a Lightning the EV integration is enabled. Maps will know the SOC and efficiency in real-time and route you to chargers as necessary. I know it will determine charger locations and charge times when you set the route; I don't know if it will change them or assign them during the drive if necessary.

Neither Ford nor Apple navigations have Tesla stations yet. Apple Maps doesn't know that our trucks can charge at any of them so it won't show them. And Maps won't let you change its selected station, but it will let you set which networks you want it to choose from.

One thing that's needed that even Tesla won't let you do is to select a desired SOC on arrival. It assumes you can charge there. And maybe I want to drive around town at my destination before heading to the hotel or wherever I will be charging.

I'm actually taking a trip today. As I did with my last road trip, I used Apple Maps but I chose my charging stations ahead of time using Plugshare/ABRP and calculated how much I need to charge at each. I just navigate to the next charger. Apple Maps will dynamically show the SOC at arrival. In my experience it's very conservative at first and increases as I get closer.

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
I care.

Until Android Auto or Carplay can integrate with the onboard systems to understand SOC and provide dynamic routing based on efficiency and become aware of chargers,
Apple Maps. Does SOC, charger on your route, and shows directions on the screen behind wheel like fords trash nav. It does not pre heat battery yet. I say yet since it’s in the works and prop will be added before your 3 year ford nav expires just says. Enjoy that new truck and that heat pump 😂

Sponsored
OP
OP

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
Apple Maps can do this. The trick is that in your Maps profile you have to tell it what vehicle you have. Once it knows you drive a Lightning the EV integration is enabled. Maps will know the SOC and efficiency in real-time and route you to chargers as necessary. I know it will determine charger locations and charge times when you set the route; I don't know if it will change them or assign them during the drive if necessary.

Neither Ford nor Apple navigations have Tesla stations yet. Apple Maps doesn't know that our trucks can charge at any of them so it won't show them. And Maps won't let you change its selected station, but it will let you set which networks you want it to choose from.

One thing that's needed that even Tesla won't let you do is to select a desired SOC on arrival. It assumes you can charge there. And maybe I want to drive around town at my destination before heading to the hotel or wherever I will be charging.

I'm actually taking a trip today. As I did with my last road trip, I used Apple Maps but I chose my charging stations ahead of time using Plugshare/ABRP and calculated how much I need to charge at each. I just navigate to the next charger. Apple Maps will dynamically show the SOC at arrival. In my experience it's very conservative at first and increases as I get closer.
Thanks for the information. We don't do apple, so I'd never heard that apple maps dynamically reads SOC and efficiency from the vehicle.

As for your trip today, I have zero interest having to find my own charging stations, cross reference them with plugshare, and input them. What do you do if you decide to go off the route to see an attraction or there is a detour that adds 50 miles to your planned route? Do it all over?

I speak an address and put it in drive.

Not sure what utility selecting a SOC at arrival does for you. Teslas absolutely tell you the estimated SOC at arrival and in my experience it involves no guessing and is always dead on If I want to have a specific SOC at an end point, I'll just charge extra at the last charge before my destination. As I charge the vehicle, the nav will tell me the SOC at all following stops so I can manage that without thought.

Preconditioning will continue to be a much larger issue unless Ford allows us to engage it separately.

Last edited:
OP
OP

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
Apple Maps. Does SOC, charger on your route, and shows directions on the screen behind wheel like fords trash nav. It does not pre heat battery yet. I say yet since it’s in the works and prop will be added before your 3 year ford nav expires just says. Enjoy that new truck and that heat pump 😂
Google maps and Waze both do the directions and turns on the screen behind the steering wheel, but so far as I can tell has no awareness of SOC, but maybe I need to dig further.

I'm very happy to have the heat pump on my 24 Lariat. I had it on my 2015 Leaf and do have it on both Teslas.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Just to put a bow on it, up to post #19, everyone was wrong except OP. This came out in the 2025 ICE F-150 Order Guide today:

Navigation services require SYNC®4 and FordPass Connect (optional on
select vehicles), complimentary connect service and the FordPass app
(see FordPass Terms for details). Eligible vehicles receive a
complimentary 1-year trial of navigation services that begins on the new
vehicle warranty start date. Customers must unlock the navigation service
trial by activating the eligible vehicle with a FordPass member account. If

not subscribed by the end of the complimentary period, the connected
navigation service will revert to a moving-map and active routing will no

longer be available.

Compare to the 2024 ICE F-150 Order Guide
Navigation services require SYNC®4 and FordPass Connect (optional on
select vehicles), complimentary connect service and the FordPass app
(see FordPass Terms for details). Eligible vehicles receive a
complimentary 1-year trial of navigation services that begins on the new
vehicle warranty start date. Customers must unlock the navigation service
trial by activating the eligible vehicle with a FordPass member account. If

not subscribed by the end of the complimentary period, the connected
navigation service will terminate, and the system will revert to embedded

offline navigation.

I freely admit I was wrong - Ford is really going backwards here. Farley really wants the ongoing service fees so he is crippling software when it expires.
Sponsored