• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Encourage Software Update?

RickOfNC

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat
Occupation
retired professor
Is there a way to encourage / entice an update OTA? I have it set to update 1 am every day of the week.
I’m only on 6.1.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Unfortunately, there is no way to do so.

fvineyard

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER, 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5
Occupation
IT Manager
Make sure your 12v is charged. And have the battery sensor replaced if you haven't already.
This is all that I do. You will need an ODB2 reader and the Car Scanner app if you want to monitor the 12 volt battery SOC.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Is there a way to encourage / entice an update OTA? I have it set to update 1 am every day of the week.
I’m only on 6.1.
I had to get my LV battery up to over 85% SOC to get one of the OTA updates last summer.
I did it by following the advice found on this forum.

1) plug the lightning in to charge to 90% over night
2) leave it plugged in and turned on, doors locked, lights off
3) come back 8 to 10 hours later in the morning and set up the update to install in the next few minutes

The LV battery will charge up enough to get the OTA update.

Ford told me to drive around for an hours, etc to charge up the LV battery but that never worked.

Not sure if it had any effect, may have helped, but I also had the CSP related to the LV battery sensor (replaced it) done before getting the OTA update (by doing the charging process above - the sensor replacement wasn't enough).

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I've found that giving my truck a pep talk with positive phrases and a little rub on the hood often results in an OTA downloading that very night when I doze off. Best of luck.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
This is all that I do. You will need an ODB2 reader and the Car Scanner app if you want to monitor the 12 volt battery SOC.
I second the recommendation for an OBD-II reader and Car Scanner app. It was well worth the money for me to be able to read the actual 12 volt SOC, which @Ford Motor Company has chosen not to otherwise make visible to us owners. The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you have a strong Wifi connection in the truck.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
why nobody else shared this with you?

owners go months without updates. These are not say like iOS updates where they are significant.

your truck is already awesome, won’t be anymore awesome after update.
none of them make it faster or more efficient (which would be the best update)

but yes an occasional update adds a nicety. For example those with large screen will soon be able to karaoke while parked, especially useful when DCF.

don‘t get to worked up about it. This comes from Someone who was sent home from dealer for 5 months with download error and told it would just clear up - it never did.

ktn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning® LARIAT ER
Also make sure your Truck is not charging while you have it check/update software. That's what the OTA team told me at least...

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you have a strong Wifi connection in the truck.
As noted in the thread below, unfortunately the WiFi signal doesn't matter. If it did, I'd be all set. It would be great if Ford would give us some way to schedule an OTA attempt. For those of us in weak cell coverage areas, that would allow us to schedule time in a strong signal zone. Or use the WIFi connection!!! I was in the strong signal Concord NH area all day yesterday and drove over 3 hours during the day. No joy on any indication of an update attempt.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/software-updates.21269/page-2#post-419178

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
why nobody else shared this with you?

owners go months without updates. These are not say like iOS updates where they are significant.

your truck is already awesome, won’t be anymore awesome after update.
none of them make it faster or more efficient (which would be the best update)

but yes an occasional update adds a nicety. For example those with large screen will soon be able to karaoke while parked, especially useful when DCF.

don‘t get to worked up about it. This comes from Someone who was sent home from dealer for 5 months with download error and told it would just clear up - it never did.
While I do like the positive spin, it’s 2024, and when we buy a car that does OTAs and people are getting those, the consumers expectation should be more than “if they come, they come”. Ford know they need to get better at this and they will be expected to if they want to sell EVs.
Sponsored