• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Anybody Happy With Their Lightning?

fvineyard

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER, 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5
Occupation
IT Manager
I love my Lightning. Very happy with my purchase decision and it suits my use needs well.
Sponsored

Zed

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum Rapid Red
Add me to the list of those happy with their LIghtning. I agree with what many of the other replies have said - this is my favorite vehicle so far, and I have had MANY. Just bear in mind your use case and understand the limitations of this generation of EVs (no matter which brand you buy...) such as range hit in cold weather, and reduced range when towing if that's something you plan to do. The public charging infrastructure is still far from mature, and is awful in some areas. I was able to install the FCSP that came with my truck and only use public charging on those occasions when I travel. Home charging is incredibly convenient!

I did a lot of research before buying mine and had to learn a lot before I was even close to buying any EV. This forum has been incredibly helpful to me both before and after I purchased the Lightning. Knowledge is power....

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Add me to the list of those happy with their LIghtning. I agree with what many of the other replies have said - this is my favorite vehicle so far, and I have had MANY. Just bear in mind your use case and understand the limitations of this generation of EVs (no matter which brand you buy...) such as range hit in cold weather, and reduced range when towing if that's something you plan to do. The public charging infrastructure is still far from mature, and is awful in some areas. I was able to install the FCSP that came with my truck and only use public charging on those occasions when I travel. Home charging is incredibly convenient!

I did a lot of research before buying mine and had to learn a lot before I was even close to buying any EV. This forum has been incredibly helpful to me both before and after I purchased the Lightning. Knowledge is power....
We're so glad to hear that, Chuck! Thank you for being part of the Ford Family.

Sponsored

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
Back in 2020 when I made up my mind to buy an EV. I strated looking at what was out there.
Why I bought the F-150 lighting
#1 Pro power on board VTH back up power to my home.
#2 I save $4,000.00 a year on gas.
#3 full size truck my family is safer in this rig.
#4 full size spare not to be under rated.
#5 lots of room in the cab great for long trips.
#6 just the best all around vehicle for any home tasks.
Bottom line yes I'm very happy with my Lightning
^^^ THIS!

I've had a Model 3 and Model S. Traded in my Tacoma because the kids were getting bigger and we still needed a truck. The Lightning is the most practical vehicle I've ever owned. It checks so many boxes as @Galactus55 mentioned. I'll add more likes to get us to 10:

#7 FRUNK
No longer do I need to pop the tailgate open on Costco trips. The frunk fits and secures all our items.

#8 Comfortable ride
It's not like other trucks where you feel the harsh bumps. Instead it's like floating on a cloud. Go test drive the Maverick then hop in the Lightning to feel the difference.

#9 Quiet
When we moved from the Model 3 to the Model S I was impressed how much quieter Tesla got the Model S to be. Well, the Lightning beat the Model S. Super quiet ride.

#10 Speed
Not that I need to go that fast in a truck, but it's nice to have that option on the highways to pass someone up safely. In my Tacoma, it took a few seconds to get the acceleration going, especially when going uphill. In the Lightning, you just smile as it accelerates instantly.

# Bonus - NEVER GOING TO A GAS STATION!!!

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
^^^ THIS!

I've had a Model 3 and Model S. Traded in my Tacoma because the kids were getting bigger and we still needed a truck. The Lightning is the most practical vehicle I've ever owned. It checks so many boxes as @Galactus55 mentioned. I'll add more likes to get us to 10:

#7 FRUNK
No longer do I need to pop the tailgate open on Costco trips. The frunk fits and secures all our items.

#8 Comfortable ride
It's not like other trucks where you feel the harsh bumps. Instead it's like floating on a cloud. Go test drive the Maverick then hop in the Lightning to feel the difference.

#9 Quiet
When we moved from the Model 3 to the Model S I was impressed how much quieter Tesla got the Model S to be. Well, the Lightning beat the Model S. Super quiet ride.

#10 Speed
Not that I need to go that fast in a truck, but it's nice to have that option on the highways to pass someone up safely. In my Tacoma, it took a few seconds to get the acceleration going, especially when going uphill. In the Lightning, you just smile as it accelerates instantly.

# Bonus - NEVER GOING TO A GAS STATION!!!
We're glad to hear the F-150 Lightning is checking all your boxes! Feel free so share some pictures. :)

KrazyEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME RWD SB, 2018 Zero FXS, 2014 Zero S
Occupation
Taxi Driver
The ICE F150 has always been good for universal purposes. Folks buy a Lightning expecting the same and some are disappointed, almost always because they didn't look exactly at how they were going to use it.
In my case I can charge at home most of the time, I can live with 85% of its rated range each day and still charge at home most of the time, and I think it is the greatest pickup I ever drove. I charge away from home perhaps once per month.
You need to test drive it to see if the size will be an issue. Try parking it a couple of times, ...

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
I have absolutely loved the Lightning...but...you must look at your use scenario and location. Purchased vehicle in March. I live in Montana where DCFCs can be few and far between. Interstate winter range loss and headwind reduction are real (in 20 degree weather with head wind, driving 68 mph we got 1.6 miles/kwh...unfortunately in Montana it is not uncommon to be doing interstate driving in 0 to negative 15 degree weather with significant winds)...we won't be taking the truck on any road trips between December and March...absolutely loved the summer road trips with wife and kids, the frunk is incredible for storage. Truck is used primarily as a hardware store runner and commuter. Range always comes up...interstate driving during spring/summer/early fall "nets" about 230 miles (driving 75mph in 55-95 degree temps, I put "nets" in quotations because I try not to dip below 15%). In town driving typically gets slightly above 3 miles/kwh (so approximately 400 miles of "range"). Majority of our charging (90% or more) is done at home. I would have second thoughts if I was NOT able to charge nightly at home (ie live in an apartment/condo without overnight charging access) or if the truck was our primary year round road trip vehicle. The truck is our first EV, I can't wait to go full EV, but with winter driving and the distance between DCFC at 150 miles for a stretch, can't justify it....yet

Last edited:

leonbell

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Lariat 2023
2023 Lariat Extended Range- I have had it for 13 months.
Absolutely delighted with my truck.
I have no problem towing my ski boat as if it were not there. I do not tow hundreds of miles so the decrease in range from towing is not an issue.
It is a joy to drive long distances, particularly quiet and smooth and BlueCruise works well on the interstate.
I have had zero problems with truck and it just works.
The power on board function is useful as I power my boathouse with the truck during construction of the main house since we do not yet have power to boathouse.
In the year that I've owned it several more high speed charging sites have been installed in the regions where I go and require them.
Now that I have the Tesla adapter my options for high speed charging on the road have just about doubled.
Looking at plugshare app I can see that several more chargers are planned or under construction.
95 % of the time I am local and charge at home (charging at home is critical if you are considering an EV).
Be advised, it is a full sized truck and tight parking lots are less fun.
My other car is a Miata, so I feel this more acutely than some.
On the other hand, my Miata gets 39mpg burning premium grade, and as a result my Lightning fuel costs are 1/2 those of the Miata.
Sponsored