• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to navigate to Tesla Chargers?

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Hi all, yesterday I received my Ford NACS adapter (order placed on Feb 29) and went to the local Tesla store to try it out. It worked fine, no issues at all. Plug and charge worked right off the bat.

But if I wanted to precondition before charging, I don't understand how to locate or navigate to Tesla chargers. If it matters I have an 2023 XLT Lightning with the 12" display. I went to Nav - Where To - Explore - Chargers - Ultra Fast Chargers. I was presented with a long list of local charging spots but none were Tesla.

So how is this done? I understand I can manually enter the street address for a Tesla charger but that won't start preconditioning.

Thanks for any pointers,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You CANNOT precondition for a Tesla Supercharger at this point. Discussed many times.

You CANNOT navigation to a Tesla Supercharger, they don't yet show in the app. Also discussed many times.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
If you search for "Tesla near" and scroll down until you get to "Places" they will populate and appear as a charger on the nav screen, just won't display the percentages that you'd need to charge to, so that would need to be referenced via ABRP. It'll then navigate you to the next one on your list as you go along.

I was searching for them under Chargers until I noticed they'll show up under Places. You can manually "precondition" by throwing it in tow/haul mode 10-15 minutes out of the charger if your battery is a bit toasty from a previous charge otherwise you won't notice much of a difference.

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
I can locate and navigate to Tesla superchargers using Ford Pass and Apple maps in car play. It didn't precondition my hvb as far as I know.

SpacemanSpiff

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
If you search for "Tesla near" and scroll down until you get to "Places" they will populate and appear as a charger on the nav screen, just won't display the percentages that you'd need to charge to, so that would need to be referenced via ABRP. It'll then navigate you to the next one on your list as you go along.

I was searching for them under Chargers until I noticed they'll show up under Places. You can manually "precondition" by throwing it in tow/haul mode 10-15 minutes out of the charger if your battery is a bit toasty from a previous charge otherwise you won't notice much of a difference.
That's a slick little hack (manual precondition via tow mode) I wish I had known for my summer trips. Do you know if this is this true for all vehicles, or maybe just those with max tow package?

Last edited:

Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
That's a slick little hack I wish I had known for my summer trips. Do you know if this is this true for all vehicles, or maybe just those with max tow package?
Not sure to be honest, I saw someone posted a video on either Reddit or FB about it and showed their Car Scanner app jumping up to drawing a large number of amps to cool the battery down; I had tried it on the last 1500 mile round-trip I took to Maine last month. I would assume Tow/Haul would kick in the same regardless of the package but may just take a bit longer to cool it down.

I watched it bring it back down to the middle line on the battery temp gauge and I think it targeted 95* when it had been well over 120* after a deep charge where it stayed the entire time between stops.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Use the Charge Assist app in the truck. It will identify nearby Tesla chargers and let you navigate to them as usual, but I do not know if it does any preconditioning.
It does not. Nor, does using Charge Assist precondition to any other chargers.

StaggerLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023
It does not. Nor, does using Charge Assist precondition to any other chargers.
I used it this morning to navigate to a supercharger 7 miles away. Clicking on the button that said something like "7.1 miles" opened up the Ford Navigation app and took me there.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I used it this morning to navigate to a supercharger 7 miles away. Clicking on the button that said something like "7.1 miles" opened up the Ford Navigation app and took me there.
Yes, you navigated to a SuperCharger (Magic Dock, right?). NO, it did not, and will not precondition for that. And, it won't precondition for any other fast chargers if you use Charge Assist to get to it.

Sponsored

StaggerLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023
Yes, you navigated to a SuperCharger (Magic Dock, right?). NO, it did not, and will not precondition for that. And, it won't precondition for any other fast chargers if you use Charge Assist to get to it.
Nope, no Magic Dock at that location. Used my NACS adapter. If you re-read my earlier post I think you'll see that I said, "... but I do not know if it does any preconditioning," so I'm a little confused about what you're trying to correct me on.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nope, no Magic Dock at that location. Used my NACS adapter. If you re-read my earlier post I think you'll see that I said, "... but I do not know if it does any preconditioning," so I'm a little confused about what you're trying to correct me on.
You said "I do not know". I'm telling you it doesn't, so now you know. :wink:

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I just want to know why you shot Billy? You shot that poor boy so bad.
Or is that song too old for you (and most others)

StaggerLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023
You said "I do not know". I'm telling you it doesn't, so now you know. :wink:
Thanks. :) So, my recollection is there is no positive indicator of whether preconditioning is active even when navigating to a regular charger through the Navigation app, aside from observing charging kW during cold weather. Is that still true, and if so, how do we know we're not preconditioning? Screenshots below show me selecting the Tesla Supercharger, then Navigation opens and it clearly knows we're going to a charger. Not doubting you, just asking how do you know?

Ford F-150 Lightning How to navigate to Tesla Chargers? 1000043103
Ford F-150 Lightning How to navigate to Tesla Chargers? 1000043105

StaggerLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023
I just want to know why you shot Billy? You shot that poor boy so bad.
Or is that song too old for you (and most others)
It took me a minute, but are you referring to the song Stagger Lee? It has many renditions, by many artists. I'm a huge Nick Cave fan and yes, that's the inspiration for my profile name. I don't recognize the specific lyric you quoted - which singer / version? Or am I totally off-base?
Sponsored