Sponsored

Am I charging to the maximum capacity of the battery and using the buffer?

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Avalanche Gray
So I charged to 100% on my 2024 Lariat which reportedly has a usable capacity of 131kWh and supposedly 143 kWh of actual physical capacity. Did the software get glitchy and charge the entire capacity of the battery? My Chargepoint EVSE correlates with the Ford’s readings.

Ford F-150 Lightning Am I charging to the maximum capacity of the battery and using the buffer? IMG_2481
Sponsored

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
No, I’m totally kidding. Nothing has changed whatever your app is showing is incorrect information going from the EVse to the app or vice verse

OP
OP

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
104 kWh delivered per the Chargepoint EVSE. So I’m led to believe that the Ford app is accurate.

The question is why was the Lightning reading 32% state of charge but then allowed the truck to add 111 kWh of capacity?

This suggests that the entire battery is somehow 163 kWh instead of 143?

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
104 kWh delivered per the Chargepoint EVSE. So I’m led to believe that the Ford app is accurate.

The question is why was the Lightning reading 32% state of charge but then allowed the truck to add 111 kWh of capacity?

This suggests that the entire battery is somehow 163 kWh instead of 143?
There seems to be a select few of us that are having a software bug where the bms is not able to properly detect or display the true SOC. Mine is currently showing around 5-8 kWh off of true dSOC. This weekend I am doing the deep cycle bms calibration to see if that helps since I normally don’t go low in the pack thanks to @MickeyAO hard work.

As more and more people are posting about this happening, I suspect we will be hearing more from @Ford Motor Company about another csp….

OP
OP

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There seems to be a select few of us that are having a software bug where the bms is not able to properly detect or display the true SOC. Mine is currently showing around 5-8 kWh off of true dSOC. This weekend I am doing the deep cycle bms calibration to see if that helps since I normally don’t go low in the pack thanks to @MickeyAO hard work.

As more and more people are posting about this happening, I suspect we will be hearing more from @Ford Motor Company about another csp….
When you say deep calibration, you mean go from 100 down to 0?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Did the software get glitchy
YES, I'm not trusting the latest V of FP when it comes to energy statistics.

Others have observed similar, but 20 KWH of overhead is not accurate for the 68% increase in SOC

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Yeah. Tesla’s calibration is into the 10% range so I am targeting that too, but will be using car scanner to monitor try kWH and get to 5-10% to 100% in a single charge so it knows the top and bottom voltage of the back better.

Hope that is all that it needs.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Also understand that reserve and buffer are not necissarily the same construct as capacity.

The lightning battery is nominally 143kwh, but that is at a set voltage per cell (say 4.15v) and a set discharge voltage (say 2.5v). If for the specific use case of the battery Ford decided to trim those numbers to 4.10v and 2.7v then the USABLE capacity will be less than the nominal capacity.

This is NOT a buffer.

Ultimately Ford may limit the max voltage or min voltage for a variety of reasons. It could be warranty. It could be fire risk. It could be Cooling capacity. And it could be because it's sold in Texas and 4.15v in a Texas summer would damage the battery.

I just offer this as caution as the capacity of the battery is whatever Ford decided to set their voltage limits at, not the sticker on the outside. That is also not the same as a buffer

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think there is a difference between what an EVSE tells you has been provided to your vehicle, and the actual amperage that has 'arrived' at your vehicle, or, specifically, the amount that has been transferred successfully and fully to the battery pack, itself - there will always be SOME losses of power/amperage from the outlet to the battery pack, as it passes thru all of the connections, and devices that transform that a/c power to d/c power, etc.

also, if my Pro has a 100kwh battery pack, and Ford limits the 'usable' power output to 98kwh, then the difference is what the truck is reserving for emergency needs, power to keep the 12v battery charged, software/electronics/computer power, etc, or to provide the needed power connection to even CHARGE the truck(inverter, converter enabling, etc).
It does not necessarily mean that Ford is limiting the use of this battery power difference to 'ever' being used, but only that it's not usage that occurs while powering the motors.

I'll bet that even your laptop and your cell phone have 'reserve' battery power that is for the same reasons.

My thought about charging to '100%' is that you are really only topping off the battery, meaning that you already HAVE some power in the battery pack, the 'unusable' portion, at a minimum, even at 0%, and you are simply bring the balance into the equation, which is not different whether you start at 0%, or at 20%, or at 70%, or whether you end at 70%, 90% or 100%. I don't think the battery 'cares' about the percentage, only we humans seem to.
The discussion about the woes of charging 'to 100%' seem to be fraught with assumptions, and, frankly, dissemination of information that is not really set in facts. When someone can take one of these trucks, charge it to 100% at every possible moment, drive it for 100,000 miles in the meantime, and prove that, that action alone, is some type of 'negative' outcome, I'll believe it... maybe.

OP
OP

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry if I’m not writing clearly…

My real question is why am I delivering 111kWh to charge the battery 68% (from 32-100)? That would imply I have a max capacity of 163 kWh. That doesn’t seem likely, so the next most likely problem is my state of charge reading is incorrect when I started at 32%.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER

My real question is why am I delivering 111kWh to charge the battery 68% (from 32-100)? That would imply I have a max capacity of 163 kWh. That doesn’t seem likely, so the next most likely problem is my state of charge reading is incorrect when I started at 32%.
Because the information you are being given is not accurate.

There are quite a few threads on this. I think one guy even had 250kwh delivered to his truck.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner

Because the information you are being given is not accurate.

There are quite a few threads on this. I think one guy even had 250kwh delivered to his truck.
Ford F-150 Lightning Am I charging to the maximum capacity of the battery and using the buffer? IMG_0867

That was me 256 kWh! I said that I must’ve gotten the battery expansion OTA update.
Sometimes there’s just a glitch(or gremlin)!

OP
OP

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very helpful everyone. Thanks.
Sponsored