Sponsored

Have you noticed... (lesser known features of our trucks)

Max Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Thought I'd start a thread for features of our trucks that don't get a lot of attention, and may even go unnoticed, but are interesting nonetheless.

The one I noticed recently is that the speed limit sign/icon on the driver's display screen momentarily brightens when the speed limit changes. It seems to be about a 4 second duration before returning back to normal. I tried to take a video of it this morning, but that proved rather tricky while driving.

Anyone notice any other things like this?
Sponsored

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Something that not even the sales people knew about.

The tailgate pull out step has 2 pockets that hinges that allow a bar clamp to be inserted and then clamp your materials down to the the tailgate.

If you look close enough you can see the graphics that show the clamps.

Rick

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR; 2003 Mercury Marauder (For Sale)
Occupation
Data Wrangler

The tailgate pull out step has 2 pockets that hinges that allow a bar clamp to be inserted and then clamp your materials down to the the tailgate.

Rick
My experience is that there wasn't anything about the truck that the salesman knew anything about. Could be worse, the person at the Chevy booth at the MN state fair this summer said that Chevy doesn't have an EV truck...

Note the I have used the clamp points several times :)

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Depending on your trim, when you fold the driver's side part of the rear seat back down, there can be quite a bit of room back there, much of it behind the fuzzy wall covering stuff. I guess higher trim models have audio gear and such there?

I'm considering cleaning the grease in the area and replacing or modifying the fuzzy stuff so as to mount some sort of cargo net there....maybe sew a big panel with lots of mesh pockets for emergency or other infrequently used stuff.

It would seem logical that short range models have some empty space where the long range trucks hold their extra battery cells, but perhaps that's inside the sealed battery box?

Sponsored

JoshuaF

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Professor
The one I noticed recently is that the speed limit sign/icon on the driver's display screen momentarily brightens when the speed limit changes. It seems to be about a 4 second duration before returning back to normal. I tried to take a video of it this morning, but that proved rather tricky while driving.
As a followup to this observation, weight limit signs, such as those that occur just before bridges, are interpreted as speed limits. These signs in Florida have black text on a white background just like speed limit signs. On my commute the truck reads a 60 ton weight limit as 60 mph speed limit in a section of road that is 20 mph!

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
Depending on your trim, when you fold the driver's side part of the rear seat back down, there can be quite a bit of room back there, much of it behind the fuzzy wall covering stuff. I guess higher trim models have audio gear and such there?

I'm considering cleaning the grease in the area and replacing or modifying the fuzzy stuff so as to mount some sort of cargo net there....maybe sew a big panel with lots of mesh pockets for emergency or other infrequently used stuff.

It would seem logical that short range models have some empty space where the long range trucks hold their extra battery cells, but perhaps that's inside the sealed battery box?
BuiltRight Industries makes a pull strap to easily access that spot. It is one of the things I am going to get. They also make a Velcro MOLLE panel that you can attach there and add MOLLE pouches for storing stuff.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR

Rick
There was a post a few weeks ago about how these are great at catching cats

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
This isn't necessarily a good feature (more like a quirk), but on XLT and Pro trims the frunk can't be opened or closed via the button on the frunk if the truck is locked even partly.
  • Locked? No frunk button operation
  • Driver side open but other doors locked? See above.
  • Unlocked? Frunk button opens & closes the frunk.

Sponsored

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Here's a good feature: our trucks cool the motors and battery more aggressively when set to Tow/Haul mode. Doesn't matter if you have tow package or not.

It comes at the expense of more energy usage, obviously. But good to know if you're in a bind.

On the flip side, I've seen videos of owners hauling something heavy and overheat. Switching to Tow/Haul solved their issue, but it seems like Normal mode caps the cooling even if you're running too hot. Unless something has changed in software since then, that is.

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
BuiltRight Industries makes a pull strap to easily access that spot. It is one of the things I am going to get. They also make a Velcro MOLLE panel that you can attach there and add MOLLE pouches for storing stuff.
It works well, and the device is very simple, but by all means watch the installation video that’s accessible via QR code in the packaging. There are a couple of important steps to follow that aren’t explained in the packaging materials.

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
It works well, and the device is very simple, but by all means watch the installation video that’s accessible via QR code in the packaging. There are a couple of important steps to follow that aren’t explained in the packaging materials.
Yea I have watched the video on the website. I know it can be a little tricky to install.

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum
I just noticed this yesterday. If you stop and leave the truck in drive and then turn off the truck, the gear selector automatically changes to park.
I found that too. Completely by accident. Drove home one day and shut the truck off after I pulled into the driveway. Noticed some motion and sat the shifter move itself into park.

republicoftexas1836

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lariat ER, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
My experience is that there wasn't anything about the truck that the salesman knew anything about. Could be worse, the person at the Chevy booth at the MN state fair this summer said that Chevy doesn't have an EV truck...

Note the I have used the clamp points several times :)
Can you post a pic of the clamp you used?
Sponsored