Sponsored

Frunk envy

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR; 2003 Mercury Marauder (For Sale)
Occupation
Data Wrangler
Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk envy 1000011652

Looks the scout frunk may actually be better than the Lightning's.
Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I'm not envious, it looks only half as deep as what I have today.

That said, I did reserve one. :LOL:

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I looked at reserving one. Then I saw that it's 91.6 inches wide--nearly a foot wider than the LIghtning. And nearly two feet wider than the original Scout. That's not a Scout. That's a Scout and a half smooshed together. No, thanks.

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk envy traveler-dimensions-desktop.BVEC2hc8_fMrU2

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR; 2003 Mercury Marauder (For Sale)
Occupation
Data Wrangler
I looked at reserving one. Then I saw that it's 91.6 inches wide--nearly a foot wider than the LIghtning. And nearly two feet wider than the original Scout. That's not a Scout. That's a Scout and a half smooshed together. No, thanks.

traveler-dimensions-desktop.BVEC2hc8_fMrU2.jpg
I was concerned about that at first but I'm not certain how accurate the diagrams are. From the pictures of the of demo vehicles it appears that the mirrors extend past the body like they do on the Lightning which is 96" including mirrors.

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk envy 1729829443151-ks

Its all hypothetical at this point. Looking forward to sitting in one in a few years :)

Last edited:

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I was concerned about that at first but I'm not certain how accurate the diagrams are. From the pictures of the of demo vehicles it appears that the mirrors extend past the body like they do on the Lightning which is 96" including mirrors.

1729829443151-ks.jpg

Its all hypothetical at this point. Looking forward to sitting in one is few years :)
Sure, it's not at all clear what's real--most of the graphics and videos they have online are clearly computer generated. The reveal had some very weird camera angles and aperture settings. But at one point the presenter stood next to the pickup and the bed was up to his underarms--and to me he looked tall in most of the shots.

Anyway, that diagram on their official page is enough to stop me from putting in a reservation. I'd like to see a 74" or skinnier EV, not a 92" wide vehicle.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I have a hard time believing it is 5" wider than a Raptor.

I put down a deposit. They say 2027 so when it's ready in 2029 I'll be looking to replace my 2022 Lightning.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
There's going to be an EREV version? Wonder what the EV range will be...

EDIT: Just saw the official announcement :D I'm a little slow in the mornings.
Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk envy 1729864345389-2c

Last edited:

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
This Scout is a package of aspirations. If they had one ready to sell in 6 months it would be popular and money maker.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
The Scout is 91.6" wide including mirrors; the Lightning is 96". The body width of the Lightning is 80", which is the limit to avoid clearance lamps. Since the Scout doesn't have those lamps, we know the body itself is not wider than the Lightning. Since the Scout is quite a bit narrower than the Lightning including mirrors, I'm certain the body is narrower. We just don't have all the dimensions yet. The diagram is misleading, it seems to suggest the tires and fenders are about as wide at the mirrors, which cannot be the case since the body would be over 80".

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyway, that diagram on their official page is enough to stop me from putting in a reservation. I'd like to see a 74" or skinnier EV, not a 92" wide vehicle.
Ditto, I was about to put on in myself. EREV with a bench seat for seating 6 would be a fantastic fit for our needs. You could easily do that under 80". What a shame they made it monster.

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Agreed, it looks smaller. I love the fact my Lightning has such a large frunk.
The sad thing is if Ford does a full refresh of the F-150 lightning I'd guess a from-the-ground-up EV would end up with a smaller frunk. This might end up being the biggest frunk to ever exist.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
There's going to be an EREV version? Wonder what the EV range will be...
They said the range extender would allow it to have a smaller battery, so that sounds like electric only range would be less than 350 of the EV only version.

I'm curious if the range extender can provide enough electricity for full power like the Ramcharger (i.e. it can generate enough electricity to keep up with demand), or if it's more like the i3 where it can't keep up. When in use its battery gradually gets depleted and you'd eventually have to charge to keep going.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Scout is 91.6" wide including mirrors;
Do we know that for sure? Everywhere I look when searching car widths, the standard is to quote body width. Kinda weird if they buck the trend on that without specifying.

Given the Ramcharger's capability, they'd be foolish to undersize the engine. It also wouldn't really jive with the image they seem to be going for. I'm holding off on a reservation until I know more. I'm done giving companies a free loan.

And on topic....yeah a bigger frunk is definitely nice. Won't be trading in the Lightning anytime soon. That said, it's bigger than nearly everything else out there. Half the EV's on the road (excluding Tesla) have no frunk!
Sponsored