mattskr

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I just did a Walmart pickup and the associate was wanting to take pictures of the frunk as she has never seen one! I think it made her day.

Loaded up about 6 packs of soda and couple of jugs of water. Putting those in the bed would require a bed divider otherwise they'd be all over the place. The frunk is perfect.
Sponsored

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
i use my trunk everyday. gym bag, work bag, kids book bags. i love it

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Best view of the tiny frunk yet. About all that fits is the portable battery pack they have in there. Which I guess you’ll need because I don’t see any electrical outlets in the frunk.

1693528011111.jpeg

This is why they haven’t released any info…there’s nothing impressive about this thing. The backseat looks tiny too but not a good shot of it.

More pics here: https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ated-seats-steering-wheel-vin-8-31-pics.9154/

UPDATE:

New Pic of Frunk with Liner Installed:

1693600850039.png
Geez, looks like you could cut yourself on the quarter panels!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Use cases are different for different folks and even the same folks with different vehicles. I almost never use the frunk in my Mach-E, but find it indispensable in my Lightning. I carry a full toolbox, tow rope, hitch drawbar, paper towels, grease wipes, my hearing protection, etc. in the Lightning frunk for use on my farm. Having all of that crap in the backseat area full-time would be a mess.
Same between our Mach-e and Lightning, it is just so much harder to use on the Mach-e. I hope Ford learned this lesson and takes the Lightning approach with all future EVs.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Use cases are different for different folks and even the same folks with different vehicles. I almost never use the frunk in my Mach-E, but find it indispensable in my Lightning. I carry a full toolbox, tow rope, hitch drawbar, paper towels, grease wipes, my hearing protection, etc. in the Lightning frunk for use on my farm. Having all of that crap in the backseat area full-time would be a mess.

Its also nice when picking up takeout food to avoid getting those lingering smells in the cab!
Typically, I buy food that I enjoy the odor so that is not an issue. I have never heard that argument until this forum. I pity all the poor fools with no frunk that must deal with smelling their food but with that being said I delivered pizza in my youth and never noticed my car had an everlasting smell of pizza and wings.
I keep small stuff in the under-seat storage but totally agree if you need to carry a toolbox constantly then the frunk is a better option.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Typically, I buy food that I enjoy the odor so that is not an issue. I have never heard that argument until this forum. I pity all the poor fools with no frunk that must deal with smelling their food but with that being said I delivered pizza in my youth and never noticed my car had an everlasting smell of pizza and wings.
I keep small stuff in the under-seat storage but totally agree if you need to carry a toolbox constantly then the frunk is a better option.
I don’t mind the smell of good food when it’s fresh. What I don’t like is getting in the truck the next morning and the smell of stale curry lingers on. 😀

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Current pickup owners. But I’ve seen how many new pickup owners Rivian has attracted, and it still baffles me how many buy a Model Y..I wouldn’t be surprised at this point if everyone who owns a Y upgrades to a CT
The Lightning is my first pickup. I had no interest in having a pickup until it was an EV. I don't believe CT is targeting traditional truck buyers. The design is so outlandish that it will attract buyers a variety of buyers. With Tesla’s excellent hardware and software, CT will likely set the bar for efficiency, performance, reliability, and software integration right out of the box. Most question the use of stainless steel, panel gaps, windshield, but not much is debated about performance and durability. Most of the CT technology is already being used in current products. Tesla has the manufacturing capability and can scale. In my opinion the adventure EV vehicle/pickup is Tesla’s market to lose.

Model Y was based on the Model 3 which was already the benchmark for EVs. It wasn’t hard to imagine a bigger “SUV version” not selling well. Elon was correct predicting the Model Y would become the world’s best selling vehicle. He thinks the CT is Tesla’s best vehicle to date. Interesting times ahead…..

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Geez, looks like you could cut yourself on the quarter panels!
If not cut, you might at least get a very uncomfortable jab in the ribs if you lean over. It's a little less vicious when the proper cover is put in place, but still has potential.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Tesla has announced they will attend the Detroit auto show next week for a reveal, but they won't say if it will just be the highlander or more. It would be just like Elon to try and overshadow the whole show with a cyber-truck presentation.

OP
OP
mattskr

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
Tesla has announced they will attend the Detroit auto show next week for a reveal, but they won't say if it will just be the highlander or more. It would be just like Elon to try and overshadow the whole show with a cyber-truck presentation.
He might have a model there as a tease but at this point he knows the Cybertruck reveal event has about as much hype as when Steve Jobs used to announce the latest iPhones. I'm betting he'll do it in Austin.

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
People will buy it for sure but if you read some posts over there on that forum some truly believe that the Cybertruck is so good that it’ll outsell Ford in 3 years. They are delusional and ignore all of its flaws.

The Rivian is a great truck but 3x as many Titans were sold last quarter than R1T and Nissan is throwing in the towel after decades of trying.

Elon doesn’t have the patience to wait decades and will find out first hand how difficult the American truck market is to crack.
the cybertruck is a fashion statement. the F150 was meant to get #@$@ done!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
the huge windshields will attract high-velocity rocks that will crack them left and right
I have to say, that windshield will definitely cost more to replace than Lightning's but even if high velocity rocks did change their trajectory to seek out that windshield, I wonder where they come from? If they are in fact High Velocity, it will likely be traveling on a highway. That means their trajectory will be more horizontal than vertical relative to the moving windshield. So the rock may see just as much of a windshield as it would have seeing a Lightning windshield (The rock view is shown bellow). The difference it this windshield has a much shallower slope which means less of a normal impact so less likely to crack the windshield. The crack above is most likely due to your other point (The frame around the windshield moving and having fit issues. The windshield will likely let in more heat in summer but it probably help reduce drag coefficient and may require less energy driving through rain.

Ford F-150 Lightning The Tiny Cybertruck Frunk 1694298614293

I agree with your general point. Model 3 is just starting to mature. Cyber truck will take at least that long to adjust to real world feedback. Pros of my Pro will likely be a much longer list than cons compare to Cybertruck.
  • Although CT's frunk seem to be able to fit longer items, it seems less functional.
  • It does not seem to have a spare.
  • Backseat window and back seat space look smaller.
  • Not a big fan of glass roofs
  • The initial "Look at me" design is not something I want to deal with. I could probably live with it after 3-5 years of production.
  • I have heard Phantom drain on Tesla's are generally closer to Rivian and not as good as Lightning. Parking the truck and loosing power would bug the crap out of me.
All that said if Tesla comes out with a fast charging 500 mile truck (not Tesla 500 but real 500) at less than $60K, I think many people will start overlooking a lot of flaws. I know it will likely be a cold day in hell before that happen but it may given manufacturing efficiency seem to be a top priority for them.

I am glad they are building it. It is a big gamble that will have some payoffs for the industry in general. I think it will force other companies to go with Giga casting and 24V architecture. I am not sure if Giga casting will translate to higher insurance for owners or not but 24V after dust settles, will be a good thing.

I pointed at the Model X frunk in the show room and said "that's not a real frunk" I opened my frunk up and said now that's a frunk!

Reactions: cal

BuildBackBadder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500 F150
That gigantic single windshield wiper is going to be an issue in Winter months. The wiper motor will have to be pretty stout too.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I just do not get it. Who would want that thing. Not for me For sure. But they have a zillion reservations, right?
Sponsored