• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

“NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerbill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2022 Lightning Platinum Plus
Gunnerbill Nightmare Train Horns
M
y adventure with these Train Blaster Train Horns. Train Blasters are by far the best train horns you can get for the bang for the buck. I was going to go to a custom truck company and have then install them, but they wanted $8000 + for just a 4 horn set. They had no idea where to place them, let alone where to place the tank and compressor. I figured I could save 5K easy by doing it myself, all I needed was time and beer. So I decided to do alittle research, think of what I wanted and also install the what if option. 1. I wanted the system to only come on with key. This will prevent battery drainage. (The F150 Lightning when you touch the
handle will give temp accessory power but for only 5 minutes, and haven’t found this to be a problem with power).
2. I wanted a shut off valve of the output of tank to secure air if I need to work on them. I also wanted a easy access kill switch
(toggle switch) for shut off compressor when I don’t want it to run)
3. I wanted a lighted switch to activate horns, so I can see it in the dark.
4. I wanted to place the toggle & push button in an area that was the cheapest parts to replace should I sell or trade in. (Know this, Major dealership wont buy a vehicle with train horn, a liability issue) and
5. MOST IMPORTANT !!! I wanted the horns to get your attention!! I started off with a 6 horn set 8gal tank. Bought 6 horn set WO/Tank/compressor. Bought x2 4Horn sets for the sides. (20 Air Horns!!!)
You want a high end compressor. And you want the compressor well ventilated. I wanted color horn air tubing, not a game changer but looks nice. I wanted a different solenoid output 6way manifold to place less stress on hose. The system comes with 1/2" hose but not enough, If you ask Hornblaster they will help with what you need I length. The system does not come with a 40amp relay, and I feel it is need, so I added it.

With Electric vehicles, there is not a lot of open space around the frame. But, the Ford F-150 EV Lightning Platinum has an area just behind the rear, rear wheel and just under the front doors. There is a Unistrut mounted in the center of that rearwheel, I used 6”x4” Stainless Steel plate and A/C unit rubber mounting shock pads to absorb bumps and vibrations. I attached the pads to the SS Plate and mounted the plate to the Unistrut and mounted my horn assembly to the pads. Because they are mounted behind the rear wheels, to help reduce debris and water from damaging the horns, hours are installed at a 5 degree angle facing down and a barrier wall 3” from the face of the horn. ¼” plexiglass was used to make the barrier to protects the horns from debris.

The Gunner’s Horn mounting plates (Rear & Sides) designed by myself. It is made of 3/8” Clear Acrylic Plexiglass(Scrap material I had). For the Rear horns, 3 horns on top/3 horn on the bottom for each rear side of the truck, and the sides have 2 on top & 2 on the bottom on passenger & driver side. The 12v solenoid is mounted on the inner side of the top, after cutting out my pattern, position horns and install on Plexiglass, Drilled holes for wiring and hoses. Ran 3/8" 9mm Split Wire Loom Conduit Polyethylene Tubing and prewiring for solenoid.

This system setup is “INSANELY LOUD”, and I call it my “IDIOT HORNS”. Stupid drivers doing stupid things get the blast, and in return, they let me know I’m No.1 by flipping me the middle finger. It is so loud that in a parking garage, a short blast will activate car alarms all around me and on most floors in the garage. At first I had just the rear set (12 Horns) I got so much attention that I decided to add 8 more (underside, under driver & passenger front door) for a total of “20 Train horns”. The layout is in the diagram below. I can hit a 6sec blast 4 times before I notice a change in tone.

For the tank and compressor setup, I placed it in the Frunk. I had to be able to dissemble in the event I needed access to battery area of if I took it to the dealership. I made my own base so that the Frunk hood will close. I have a spare port should I want to add an air hose quick adapter.

Installing the sides was very easy. Remove the plastic frame cover under the driver and passenger side, I made a horn base plate the length of these brackets, I have scrap metal bracket (roofing tile support brackets) and used those to secure my horn base plate to those brackets. After mounting your horn plate , hoses and wiring, you can remount that plastic guarding. It will require trimming to fit around the air horn base plate.

Link for the complete doc for installing :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...ouid=111998093908389179246&rtpof=true&sd=true

Link for all the Pictures:

Link of video:

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Air horn Battry wirin

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Air horn switches steu

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Tank air shut off valve

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Tank wood Base 1

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Tank wood Base 2

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Tank wood Base 3

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Tank wood Base back View

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Tank wood Base Wiring Terminal

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Tank wood Base

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear Base mount shock pads

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear debris guard

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear mounting plate 1

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear mounting plate 4

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear mounting plate 5

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear mounting plate 6

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear mounting plate rear bracket

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on rear mounting plate

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side frame cover

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting backet 1

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting backet 2

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting backet

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting plate 1

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting plate 2

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting plate 3

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting plate 5

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting plate 6

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting plate layout

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side Mounting plate

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning Train Horn on side
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
In many states, that's illegal. If you use them to send your annoyance to another driver, and someone as a result loses control and crashes, you're fully liable.

Last edited:

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
150 dB from a horn is beyond inappropriate for vehicle use. Use of this could cause instant hearing damage for pedestrians, cyclists, or people with their windows down. Not to mention how the shock could cause other vehicles to crash.

This is just unhinged.

I hope you reconsider this and remove it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gunnerbill

Gunnerbill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something about Illegal, your right, some states don't like it. Others not a problem. The simple fact is safety. Your are allowed to say or communicate a safety condition. There is no difference between a train horn on a car or truck or a Semi. Or a train for that matter. The volume maybe higher with my train horns than to a semi, but the fact remains both are loud. Mine are just ear level. I am careful as how I use them, I don't go around golf courses blowing them off. But if you are the type of idiot who likes to exit the freeway from the far left lane with heavy traffic, "YOU GET THE IDIOT HORN".... When they hear the horns, they know what they did.... From that point their pride kicks in. But they know. Maybe I saved a life, maybe they wont do that again.

But think of this. Im in Vegas, It happens everywhere!!! People walk around with a phone in their face, Headphone, mopeds driving on car lanes, the list goes on. When they try to cross the street against the walk light, those are idiot events waiting to happen.

In the end of it all, I really don't care, I use them when needed, I added them because I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunnerbill

Gunnerbill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Replika, Thanks for your approval. Well, I guess I'm ok then, If 150db is bad, I'm only at 147.7db. I guess I can add more horns. People here in Vegas dont normally drive with the window down, to "HOT' or to cold.

Here is the facts folks, its not Illegal. Im not trying to start anything or any problems. I started a post what of upgrades added, and I got a few replies on how to do the train horns. If you don't like it, sorry. Ignore it

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
The neighbor on the highway may very well have a 45 caliber noise maker that would solve this issue.

OP
OP
Gunnerbill

Gunnerbill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes sir... That's the great thing about the west, here in Nevada, everyone carries guns, and yes, it's legal.

But why should this be a problem. If we all followed the rules of the road and not feel like we are entitled, it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't assume you are the bad driver, so it has to be you would be concerned for all the other idiot driver around you. Roll up your windows, think happy thought

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gunnerbill

Gunnerbill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Folks, your making this worse than it needs to be. Look at the price of these truck. You not going to get a teenager driving these around, Were all adults. We act like adults. Your not using the horns a a main horn. Only when a situation awards the occasion.

This post isn't to be a debate, I will defend it. but it is just info for those who are looking information.

OP
OP
Gunnerbill

Gunnerbill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@ HaroldCal, then you know exactly what I mean, if it's not the crackheads walking in the middle of the street, or the person exiting the freeway from the far left lane, or the drunks that can't decide what lane he wants or cant stay in his lane, How about the people on there cell phone, or the lady putting on her make-up driving 65 driving in 2 lanes. Yah, this could go on forever. OMG!!! Hell, I might think of upgrading to a 20gal air tank

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
100% man, for sure. Absolute 'tards on the highways in this town. I have wanted proper train horns on my truck since I bought my F350 back in 05. I have had the tank and VIAIR compressor sitting on a shelf for 18 years, as I just never made it happen. But you've inspired me to get off my ass. Hopefully. :)

@ HaroldCal, then you know exactly what I mean, if it's not the crackheads walking in the middle of the street, or the person exiting the freeway from the far left lane, or the drunks that can't decide what lane he wants or cant stay in his lane, How about the people on there cell phone, or the lady putting on her make-up driving 65 driving in 2 lanes. Yah, this could go on forever. OMG!!! Hell, I might think of upgrading to a 20gal air tank

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
Absolutely mad, lad, Not for me but glad people are pushing limits and testing what sorts of mods can be done. I hope I never piss you off enough to hear em but I, for one, support your right to bear train horns.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.