• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

“NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
This sort of post is absolutely hilarious and a big reason I joined this forum at all. When I was driving my grandfather's old truck in the early 00's I always dreamt about doing mods like these.

We need a video filmed from the side, of you driving down a road honking it.

Also how do you like the cap on the back? Did you notice any hit to your range with it on?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gunnerbill

Gunnerbill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2022 Lightning Platinum Plus
I got the ARE camper shell (A.R.E. Model: Z2), when they are ordered, they are custom made to match the color of your truck. I like the cap alot. The wife and I even did a 1 night camping in it, super cool. The front window sides open and can open completely lift upwards. the side windows tilt out or pop open. You can get the LED interior lighting but I did mine myself to save some cash. I like the fact that it came matched to my vehicle color. Besides the air horns, That cap was the best investment IMO. As for mileage, I didn't go that far, I wanted it so I got it, you would think it would make a difference for the better. I like the fact that what I have in the back is secured and keeps the honest people honest. I got the remote open option that when I lock the vehicle, the cap windows lock.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes sir... That's the great thing about the west, here in Nevada, everyone carries guns, and yes, it's legal.

But why should this be a problem. If we all followed the rules of the road and not feel like we are entitled, it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't assume you are the bad driver, so it has to be you would be concerned for all the other idiot driver around you. Roll up your windows, think happy thought
No, it's not legal.

2022 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 484D - Equipment, Inspections and Size, Weight and Load of Vehicles
NRS 484D.400 - Horns and other warning devices.
Universal Citation: NV Rev Stat § 484D.400 (2022)
1. Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway must be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but the horn or other warning device must not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

https://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/2022/chapter-484d/statute-484d-400/

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I was going to do something much more basic...and gave up before turning a screw.
Nice detailed work.
I had someone berate me on another forum about my desire to have a really loud horn.
Danger is in the eye (ear?) of the beholder.
If my super loud horn breaks one out of the trance they are in staring at their phone while driving...good.
If it startles the person who was going to hit me, and now instead they hit a tree...or a different car...well....
Sure it may be illegal in some states, but so is texting and driving.

Sponsored

Aminorjourney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vehicles that go
Just be careful where you use it. This could literally kill me. (look up long qt) ;)

Great power, great responsibility!

Electric Messiah

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Train horns are a step in the right direction. But, to prove real manhood and to truly bring godly retribution to the unwashed drivers of Las Vegas, I suggest replacing your choo-choo blasts with horns that reproduce the noise of a gas leaf blower at full throttle. That would really humble them.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I admire everything about the commitment with this project. The willingness to give up the frunk space for a loud a$$ horn setup deserves a salute.

Not everything that we do with an electric truck needs to be socially responsible or to the benefit of society as a whole. The pearl clutching over the OP's horn setup is fascinating -- like you've never experienced anything anti-social before.

If ICE trucks have their straight pipes and "rolling coal", EV trucks can have train horns. I wouldn't do it to my own truck, but I respect that this is exists.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Guess you are making sure there are no babies in strollers nearby or otherwise innocent bystanders when you are 'blastin' crackheads' in the street? I am all for 'to each their own' but you just can't control this in a responsible way. Gonna give some poor grandma a heart attack when you 'punish' a bad driver out there...

Last edited:

Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
No, it's not legal.

2022 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 484D - Equipment, Inspections and Size, Weight and Load of Vehicles
NRS 484D.400 - Horns and other warning devices.
Universal Citation: NV Rev Stat § 484D.400 (2022)
1. Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway must be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but the horn or other warning device must not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

How loud can a horn legally be?

Ford F-150 Lightning “NIGHTMARE EDITION TRAIN HORN” Setup- 147.7 dB for the F150 Lightning ANd9GcSXcQSSln1bbqm7hiLNfXotG3K3QgJ2OZ3o4xPVhmm8&s

If you're in the U.S., the maximum decibel level for a car horn is 100–110 decibels. Anything above that would not comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and would likely be prohibited by your State law.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm all for a train horn, but that's a bit excessive. I'd be curious to know if you could do a dB test at say, 10-15ft away from the truck. Knew a guy that had one in the early 2000's, only heard him blast it twice and yeah, it was loud and and startling. But I'd put it on par with driving near a train track and suddenly hearing the train blast its horn. I'm cool with that.

According to the Federal Railroad Administration, the max level for a train horn is 110dB. If yours is 147dB, that's greater than 1000 times the limit for a train. I believe that qualifies as excessive. Again, I think train horns are neat and am completely ok with putting them in the truck. That's why I was wondering what the dB level is at a reasonable distance.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Some of the comments are interesting. Supporting this while also acknowledging that it’s illegal and anti-social.

I don’t think you guys have a clue how loud 150 dB is, or how different environments could amplify it further.

How would you feel if the OP (who has already acknowledged firing this in a parking garage where it set off all the car alarms) blew out a child’s ear drums?

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Folks, your making this worse than it needs to be. Look at the price of these truck. You not going to get a teenager driving these around, Were all adults. We act like adults. Your not using the horns a a main horn. Only when a situation awards the occasion.

This post isn't to be a debate, I will defend it. but it is just info for those who are looking information.
Full-size truck owners have a certain negative stereotype and this is the epitome of it.

Before the Lightning existed, I would have never even considered owning a truck. Now that I do, I've found the worst part of truck ownership is having to be associated with this sort of behavior.

This is anti-social, immature, and irresponsible. Full Stop. You say that we're all adults and we act like adults but your actions clearly state otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.