• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

12 Inch Versus 15 Inch Screen

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
So I had the 12" for years with a 2021 ICE F150. I was a hater of the 15" screen for a long time. Like a lot of people, we hate on things we haven't personally used to experienced (because it soothes us, right? lol)

I had experience with the big screen in a RAM and I was really disappointed in how it was implemented. For example in the RAM, I felt like half the screen was controls, and the other half was basically a typical screen. Didn't really feel "bigger" when it came to the map and stuff.

After having my Lariat since Feb. I gotta say, my view has completely changed on this. I would prefer the 15" screen now. (That said, I still don't think the difference between the two is enough to cause any heartburn. Its not that big of a factor)

The larger screen just looks and feels more modern and premium. It's the way all vehicles are going nowadays. The maps are larger and easier to see. Cameras and things look very good on it.

I don't find the controls as bad as I thought. The knob has a lot of value in that department. The heated / Cooled seats is annoying.

But when I rode in my FIL truck that has the 12" screen, I couldn't believe how much smaller everything felt to me now. Once you get used to the larger display it's hard to go back.

Last thing I'll add, it's crazy how to many "normies" that's the first thing they notice and they're jealous of. Big screens in vehicles for some dumb reason is a serious selling point. Whenever family see my truck for the first time, it's the first thing they comment on, and they talk about all the time. Mention "I want to get me a vehicle with a big screen."

It's kinda funny that way.
Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I have 15" screen and dash layout envy.

I would have assumed the hardware behind the 15" would be a bit more powerful than the standard 12" SYNC4.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I had the 12 inch screen on my 2021 ICE Lariat. I have the 15 inch on my 2022 Lightning and Mach-E.

The 12 inch screen, coupled with the physical buttons, is hands down the better system. Between the better resolution, landscape orientation, and the physical buttons, the 12 inch is far superior to the lower resolution, laggy, sluggish 15 inch screen that is nothing but a large fingerprint magnet.
The general concensus seems to prefer the landscape-oriented screen (which, though slightly smaller, offers a LARGER Google map view in Carplay). I wonder where Ford got the idea that the 15” portrait-oriented was an upgrade for the Lightning? They needed to ask a few more focus groups!

earlyadopt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance Broker
Have you been a user of both the 12" and 15" screen? If so which do you prefer? I have the 12. My sales guy said he liked the 12 better and I think he was being candid because I wasn't yet committed to the truck I wound up purchasing (XLT). I haven't used the 15. Do you know if Ford plans to continue the 12? Thanks.
I have the 15 inch screen on my MachE and enjoy the screen real estate offered. I agree that the buttons along with the 12 inch screen work well. My only concern is the floating second screen that is on the right hand side. Is there a way to get rid of it? Its blocks some of the map and seems to only be used to show your music selection or the view of the back. I hope this make sense?

For a truck, the 12 works better as it does not take up most of the dash. The screen behind the steering wheel offers info that I appreciate like battery temp. My machE does not offer this and I would appreciate knowing the temp of the battery for charging purposes.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
The general concensus seems to prefer the landscape-oriented screen (which, though slightly smaller, offers a LARGER Google map view in Carplay). I wonder where Ford got the idea that the 15” portrait-oriented was an upgrade for the Lightning? They needed to ask a few more focus groups!

I used to think the map view in the 12" was larger as well. I no longer think that's accurate.

I guess someone could measure them side by side to know for sure, but as someone with the 12" for years, I do not think the map layout is larger.

Going from my 15" to my FIL 12" the map felt noticeably smaller.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Had an MME before this with the 15" screen, specifically waited on an XLT when I could have bought a Lariat off the lot months before. Major reason is I don't have to take my eyes off the road as all the buttons give me tactile sense you just don't get with everything controlled by the screen. I actually miss the stupid games and youtube. Was helpful when waiting in the car with the kids. But I have an iPad that is way more functional than having the big screen.

IMO the 23 XLT is the best option with the smaller screen and ER battery, sucks that they bundled the option for bigger batteries with giving up tactile controls.

Reactions: JRT

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Keep in mind that with an XLT or Pro you'll get the 12" screen but there are a ton of features that are locked into the Lariat and Platinum trims. I like the 12" screen better but I like having BlueCruise, Ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, auto wipers, homelink, seat memory, and leather way more.

Screen size was low on my pros and cons list. You'll spend way more time driving the vehicle than you will messing around with the screen.

Harman023

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
retired HVAC mechanic
I had the 12 inch screen in my Lariat Powerboost and liked it. On the 15 inch I seem to have a real problem hitting the buttons to change the screen view. Half the time I just move the button around on the screen instead of changing to nav, fm or what ever. I spend too much time looking down instead of where I'm going. Could just be an old person thing.

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT w/Max Tow and TT Packs
IMO the 23 XLT is the best option with the smaller screen and ER battery, sucks that they bundled the option for bigger batteries with giving up tactile controls.
Glad bought a 23 XLT ER in April instead of waiting for the 2024s. Not only do I like the screen with knobs/buttons, there is zero chance that I would have gotten a 2024 for $20k below sticker...at least until the 2025s come out.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
My 15"in my Mach-E was great till it wasn't. Then the lack of hvac, and volume controls became a total nightmare when it was constantly rebooting, locking up and would be black for most of my driving. Dealership replaced it, modules, software, and it kept coming back. I bought the xlt specifically to avoid it and this system has been in the ICE F150 and is more reliable.

Sponsored

Ragman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightnings - SR XLT, ER XLT, ER Lariat - 2024
we have two xlts with 12" and a lariat with the 15". Hands down the 12" wins with physical buttons. I think Ford made a major blunder with the Flash/XLT ER coming with 15" - KISS for work trucks.

The 15" has flaked out on me which luckily a hard reset fixed - the 12" no issues as really its only radio and nav (rarely used). If the screen fritzes I like still having climate control...

For the need my toys driver the 15" will fit like a glove - Lariat truly is a nice truck - for people wanting a historic "truck" feel though get the 12".

Note - the quiestest most comfortable of the three trucks we have is the xlt SR with 18" Pro rims. Having 15k miles in both xlt and Lariat the fabric seats are more comfortable then leather and moonroof is surprisingly more wind noise then trucks without it (quite noticeable on hands frew calls). The 18s are also noticeably smoother then the 20s - trucks should not be that smooth... lol

novosilicon

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are more laggy on 15 inch.

I like the look of 15 screen, but 12 has better usability.

I have no explanation, but I like 360 camera layout on 12 inch more than on 15.

But 15 inches has more features

Redwood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT ER
I wanted the 15" but didn't want to fork over the cash for the higher trims. I'm sure it's a great experience if you want to get into the Flash, Lariat, and Platinum trims. I've been exceedingly happy with my 12" screen.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
KISS for work trucks.
Ford doesn't consider the XLT a "work" truck. It's the lowest-end "personal" truck. The evidence is in how they badge the trucks in Mexico. The Pro/XL still carries "F150" badges in Mexico, but the XLT up to the Platinum carry the "Lobo" badges. I want a Lobo tailgate swap for my Lightning!

Billylightning

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, expedition, g8gxp, 04 gto, 73 corvette
Occupation
Director IT
I have a 2022 expedition with the 15 inch and I have the f150 xlt with the 12 inch. I prefer the physical knobs way more than what is offered on the 15 inch screen. My 16 year old son will be driving the lightning f150 to school quite a bit and he is a new driver. there is no way I want him using the setup in the 15 inch screen. thankfully He prefers the 12 inch screen a lot more too.

I intentionally bought the xlt extended range for the 12inch screen. I then added the OEM leather and we love it....
Sponsored