• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2024 DC Fast Charging Speed Limited to 120kW at EA?

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’ve gotten as high as 167 as well on my 2023 Pro SR, but not on an EA charger. I think my best on EA is 162.
You were almost certainly pulling 500A, in both cases (162kW vs 167kW was probably due to two slightly different battery pack voltages during the max charging power part of the charge curve). Only with 500A are you going to see 160kW+ charge rates; it’s all about the current!
Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hey I had no idea there was a difference until I read these forums. If I weren't a forum-reading kind of person I would just pull up and charge at an open bay without a second thought. EVs unfortunately don't come with a DCFC instruction manual, and the only etiquette hint is the idle fee.

I've had my truck less than a month but already learned the hard way about broken EA stations and Bolts camping at a charger. :ROFLMAO:
There’s a bit of a learning curve, especially for people who avoided high school physics and never learned basics like watts=volts x amps, or that kW is a measure of power, while kWh are the units of stored/consumed electricity (kW and kWh are not interchangeable).
However, EV drivers shouldn’t be required to pass a test in thermodynamics- driving EVs should be, and is for, everyone. I think that the more new EV owners invest in some basic knowledge about power and electrical energy conversion, the more they will understand -and enjoy- their vehicles. Having said that, a bit of patience, courtesy, and respect is also very beneficial from those who understand these things, toward those who simply do not. They often mean no discourtesy by occupying a high-current charger in a vehicle incapable of receiving it, or by charging to a higher SOC than a more experienced EV driver might. Basic Golden Rule!

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There’s a bit of a learning curve, especially for people who avoided high school physics and never learned basics like watts=volts x amps, or that kW is a measure of power, while kWh are the units of stored/consumed electricity (kW and kWh are not interchangeable).
However, EV drivers shouldn’t be required to pass a test in thermodynamics- driving EVs should be, and is for, everyone. I think that the more new EV owners invest in some basic knowledge about power and electrical energy conversion, the more they will understand -and enjoy- their vehicles. Having said that, a bit of patience, courtesy, and respect is also very beneficial from those who understand these things, toward those who simply do not. They often mean no discourtesy by occupying a high-current charger in a vehicle incapable of receiving it, or by charging to a higher SOC than a more experienced EV driver might. Basic Golden Rule!
I've been driving EVs for 2.5 years. I'd say about 25% of the drivers charging at a 350 with a BOLT to 100% do in fact mean to be discourteous. The other 75%, when explained they can't charge more than around 45kW, appreciate the knowledge. Like the guy with his girlfriend renting one and she said "ooh, we should move to the Hyper-Fast!". I explained that they shouldn't, and why, and they were very appreciative. But the Uber/Lyft drivers charging to 100%, no matter what vehicle they are in, don't give a rat's ass.

tehviking

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I hit 195kw yesterday at the EA station in Indiana....right before the truck was like "nope" and shut it down.

Longest sustainable rate I have ever had was 182-185kw at the new EA stations at Meijer's in Kankakee IL and Sams Club in Rockford IL.

Typically, I am low 170s like other on here. I have a 2022 ER.

20240214_072226.jpg
The same thing happened to us last night in our 2023 ER lariat, 194kw for several minutes. Freaked me the hell out and I stopped the charging station and switched chargers, which then started at 180kw and tapered to 125 or so. I called EA support and they were typically no help, “oh that sounds perfectly normal to me, the truck won’t take more power than it can handle”

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
The same thing happened to us last night in our 2023 ER lariat, 194kw for several minutes. Freaked me the hell out and I stopped the charging station and switched chargers, which then started at 180kw and tapered to 125 or so. I called EA support and they were typically no help, “oh that sounds perfectly normal to me, the truck won’t take more power than it can handle”
Yeah, right, I would not believe EA on that one! My truck also freaked out like you did and cut it off ASAP! I would say it was a minute or less for my truck.

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've been driving EVs for 2.5 years. I'd say about 25% of the drivers charging at a 350 with a BOLT to 100% do in fact mean to be discourteous. The other 75%, when explained they can't charge more than around 45kW, appreciate the knowledge. Like the guy with his girlfriend renting one and she said "ooh, we should move to the Hyper-Fast!". I explained that they shouldn't, and why, and they were very appreciative. But the Uber/Lyft drivers charging to 100%, no matter what vehicle they are in, don't give a rat's ass.
I would have expected that Uber/Lyft drivers, of all people, would know what their $time is worth, unplug when they see charging slow down to a glacial pace, and go grab another fare….instead of sitting there in top-charge Purgatory.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Chargepoint is installing Mercedes Benz branded chargers at Bucees. These are rated at 400KW. Theoretically, will the ER trucks see peaks of 210KW before being thermally throttled?
I don’t see how- 210kW would require like 600+amps, and there isn’t a known DCFC, including the new Mercedes units, that outputs over 500amps (charger cables can’t handle more than that, typically). Since the new Mercedes 400kW chargers are apparently limited to 500A, so it will be just like charging at an EA 350kW (500A output). Our trucks throttle down the current as the pack charges up, but maximum charge rates on Lightnings depend on only one thing: the current output from the charger. 400kW would be possible only with 800V battery architecture, if current is limited to 500A (would never happen on a mid-300V Lightning). Power ratings on chargers are pretty much irrelevant for charging Lightnings; it’s all about the current (amps), with 500A being the highest presently available (EA 350s, Mercedes 400s, and Superchargers- though it remains to be seen whether non-Teslas will be allowed to receive that much current).

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I would have expected that Uber/Lyft drivers, of all people, would know what their $time is worth, unplug when they see charging slow down to a glacial pace, and go grab another fare….instead of sitting there in top-charge Purgatory.
They recline their seats and sleep, or watch videos.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Many Lyft / Uber drivers simply don't care. And yes, most Bolt drivers have no clue, I've spoken to quite a few.
I should have purchased Uber stock last year when I noticed a huge influx of ride sharing BEVs😩. Stock up 116% past year. Uber needs their own charging hubs at this point.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I have been creating a "cheat sheet" for my Lightning SR with all of the relevant information that I might need some day. When looking up the maximum charging level, I came across this on the Ford site:

Can I charge at a 350-kilowatt (kW) charge station?

Yes you can.
When using Electrify America (EA) Direct Current (DC) fast chargers, be aware of the following:
  • Some EA DC fast chargers can deliver up to 350kW of power.
  • Your 2024 F-150 Lightning will accept up to 120kW.
  • The 2023 and prior model year F-150 Lightning trucks accept up to 150kW.

Does anybody know what is up with this? That is a fairly significant limitation given that the one real weakness of the Ford compared to other modern EVs is the charging speed, but the strength is that it holds relatively high charging speeds over time. The only thing that would ever make me consider trading in my SR Lariat is a SR Lariat that charged as quickly as my Kia EV6 (350 KW). I can't believe that this is only an EA issue.

Does this have to do with a change in battery chemistry, or are they limiting the charging to preserve battery life, in which case I'd want to know. @Ford Motor Company , whats up?

Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Timely catch to this thread. Still debating whether replacing the LER, but sent a VIN for a 2024 LER to the dealer as an option to replace mine. I'm not going to go for slower charging. There's still new 2023's out there with retractable steps and 3 years of free Blue Cruise along with a higher charging speed.

This doesn't make sense, in what world does Ford think it will sell more Lightning's if they diminish one of the most important things of EV ownership, which is charging speed.

PoCoRichard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning
The best I've seen on my 2024 lightning XLT is 175kW at a Tesla charger.