• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

40amp or 48amp charging on a Charger Station Pro

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
I have my ford charge station pro set to use 40 amps by setting the dial inside the unit. i have a 6-50 receptacle hard wired with 6 gauge copper wire to a 50 amp breaker in my electrical panel. I then plug the FCSP into the receptacle using a 3 foot 8/3 SOOW cable with a 6-50 plug on 1 end and the other end is connected inside the FCSP. Note that i am using only brand name products in my set up.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It should be noted that the installation instructions for the FCSP only specify hardwiring. Installing with a cord and plug is a violation of NEC section 110.3(B).

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
You are going to need to talk to a certified electrician and your local building code official since the install may likely require a building/electrical permit and inspection.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
You should find out how much it really saves you to go for the smaller wire. Note that only the portion from the emergency cut off / sub panel needs to be copper. The run from the main house panels can be aluminum providing it is rated at 100 amps.

I have a really long run - about 90 feet of aluminum to a sub panel in the garage, then ~50 feet of copper outside in a trench to the charger.

Why do you want to limit the charger to 40-48 amps? I don't think it really increases battery life a great deal. What you want is to limit charging to stop at 70-80% unless you are doing a long road trip.

Also, when your dealer submits your name to Ford you should get an email inviting you to apply on line for the charger. (Better do it soon, I hear there is a time limit.) On-line you can choose between the $1300 Pro or another $799 lower power charger, I think 48 amp. You could just go for the lower power charger, but why limit yourself?

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
If you are doing a new install and new line, I'd do the 100amp circuit and enjoy the 80amp setting. I had a NEMI 14-50 outlet installed in 2021 for my Mach-E portable charger, when I went to my Lightning, it made sense to just add an RV 14-50, extension cord to the charger and set it for 40amps.

Sponsored

Ltron

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER , 24 Lyriq AWD Lux1
Occupation
Ret
I put a pigtail on the Pro, plugged into my 50 amp 14-50 with dip set back to 40 amp, works great.

Reactions: JRT

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I don’t disagree….but there may be even worse rules in the NEC. Not worth going there in a car forum. 😂

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Magnetewan River near Georgian Bay Ontario, Canada
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Ice Blue, 2023 Lightning Star White
Occupation
Retired
Just set mine up 100amp breaker, 3AWG, dialed down to 48amp charging Mach E and Lightning. don't need full 80 but its there if I want to dial up. Works great so far and I think the lower charge is better for the battery.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Just set mine up 100amp breaker, 3AWG, dialed down to 48amp charging Mach E and Lightning. don't need full 80 but its there if I want to dial up. Works great so far and I think the lower charge is better for the battery.
Level 2 charging is such a low C rating for the size of the battery that it's not a significant impact on the battery. Depth of charge will have significantly more impact.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
makes sense. is the

hmm. would a certified electrician do that, given whats in the manual? i haven't compared cost of 3awg copper vs 4 awg for 60 amps vs 6awg for 50 amps, might be worth a look.
The cost difference is minimal. I paid $55 for a 100amp breaker and $30-40 for all the wire. If your panel will support it, there's no down side to wiring for 80 amps except the cost of a few cups of coffee. You can always de-rate it internally or through the app.
If you are intent of wiring it for 48 amps, you should de-rate it internally, to ensure that it meets code and so that someone doesn't accidentally up-rate it through the app and start a fire.
Sponsored