• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper?

fvineyard

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER, 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5
Occupation
IT Manager
Curious if anyone has added a grill mesh and is using the Snap Plate tag holder. I am planning to add this and have concerns that the two may not allow enough clearance...

Thanks!

fvineyard

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER, 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5
Occupation
IT Manager
I like it!

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Just did it with the expanded aluminum mesh, which is conveniently now on sale for Prime Day for just $12. Came out pretty well for just a few bucks. Sized at 21.5x8" with slight reliefs on the bottom corners, slotted into the surrounding bezel so it's quite rigid all around. Just make sure you put the zip ties through the grill first otherwise you'll be fishing the tails out through the holes with a dental pick.

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding grill mesh ahead of active shutters in bumper? 1721173669976-qz

Sponsored

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Just did it with the expanded aluminum mesh, which is conveniently now on sale for Prime Day for just $12. Came out pretty well for just a few bucks. Sized at 21.5x8" with slight reliefs on the bottom corners, slotted into the surrounding bezel so it's quite rigid all around. Just make sure you put the zip ties through the grill first otherwise you'll be fishing the tails out through the holes with a dental pick.

1721173669976-qz.png
Ya, I removed the whole section that covers up that intake. just half a dozen clips to pop, then tailored fit the piece to fit, w/o any zip ties,,,, peace of mind,,,,

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
So a while ago I got some mesh online, I liked it but now I think I can be that cheesy guy that makes a custom one. May do some resizing and playing with the size but I think I have maxed out my work laptop for its memory.

20240113_132739.jpg

20240611_190831.jpg
Post the file, please, if you want to share.

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
Mesh sounds like a good idea. Yesterday, I started the AC using Ford Pass and when I was walking towards the truck I noticed something white on the drivers side of the radiator/heat exchanger, turns out it was a 5x5 plastic coated paper stuck to the heat exchanger blocking air flow. So my next project is going to be installing grill mesh. Sorry no picture.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
I just added the grill to mine. I ended up picking one of the plastic ones from Amazon for $36. It is 47"x16" overall with a 11mmx30mm honeycomb . I trimmed it to 21.5"x8" and clipped the bottom corners some. Used 4 zip ties and it fit right in there. I like the look of the plastic honeycomb pattern because it matches the patterns in the lightning grill. You can get the same plastic ones off of eBay for around $28 if you want to save a little. Based on the overall dimensions, you could make 4 grills out of it. If you have any local lightning buddies, you could split the cost. FYI, these are not ABS according to the reviews regardless of the advertising. However, they are more flexible than ABS which makes them easier to maneuver into place.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B28636PY

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I wonder if all this modification would be needed if we realize that the shutters are actually always CLOSED while driving... but, yes, if you just like the 'look', that's a different story.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I wonder if all this modification would be needed if we realize that the shutters are actually always CLOSED while driving... but, yes, if you just like the 'look', that's a different story.
But are they always closed? What would the utility be to install louvres that are open only when parked/off? On the ICE F-150s these are open to allow for more airflow when needed.

Open or closed, a good bit of debris can whack the hell out of the louvres causing fire flow issues.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the louvers/shutters on our EV Trucks are for a very DIFFERENT purpose than that of even the 'sister' gas/hybrid versions of the same F150:

Gas vehicles need it to provide COOL AIR to lower the temperature of the running engine, when driving, or even when just idling...

EV vehicles DON'T need any air when moving, but ONLY to bring in cooler air when CHARGING, where the battery is getting VERY HOT... quite the opposite.

I tested this with a camera attached to my front louver/bumper area, where you can see the shutters OPEN when I started the trip, out my driveway, after charging, but they quickly CLOSE when getting up to speed. This is for AERO purposes.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
the louvers/shutters on our EV Trucks are for a very DIFFERENT purpose than that of even the 'sister' gas/hybrid versions of the same F150:

Gas vehicles need it to provide COOL AIR to lower the temperature of the running engine, when driving, or even when just idling...

EV vehicles DON'T need any air when moving, but ONLY to bring in cooler air when CHARGING, where the battery is getting VERY HOT... quite the opposite.

I tested this with a camera attached to my front louver/bumper area, where you can see the shutters OPEN when I started the trip, out my driveway, after charging, but they quickly CLOSE when getting up to speed. This is for AERO purposes.
And if they are open, then there is a pathway for debris to enter into the area. My point remains.

On longer trips to cool the battery do the louvers open?

In either event, you don't want it you don't have to buy it. Many of us do, and we'd prefer to protect the intakes if possible. Sh!t happens.