• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Air Conditioner Compressor Issues

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat+ Lightning Ordered
My fan is screaming in the driveway when the ac is on and truck not moving, very loud actually
I think (hope) what you're hearing is normal. The cooling fans are loud and it sounds like an ICE truck running when they're on.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Reactions: JMR

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
FYI your compressor noise sounds totally normal for the electric compressors in Lightnings/Mach-Es/etc.

The fact that it ramps up and then shuts down is obviously bad, but the noise is normal. Obviously, the AC system is encountering an error and shutting down the compressor.

I'm surprised a dummy light didn't go on. Did you ever get an OBD error code?

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FYI your compressor noise sounds totally normal for the electric compressors in Lightnings/Mach-Es/etc.

The fact that it ramps up and then shuts down is obviously bad, but the noise is normal. Obviously, the AC system is encountering an error and shutting down the compressor.

I'm surprised a dummy light didn't go on. Did you ever get an OBD error code?
No, the truck is not throwing error codes. I disagree that the noise is normal. This is the third summer I've owned the truck and the noise didn't start until the end of last summer. I took it in to have it looked at when the noise first started but the dealership claimed they couldn't replicate it (it wasn't consistent at first) and, because is was working, there was nothing more they could do.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No, the truck is not throwing error codes. I disagree that the noise is normal. This is the third summer I've owned the truck and the noise didn't start until the end of last summer. I took it in to have it looked at when the noise first started but the dealership claimed they couldn't replicate it (it wasn't consistent at first) and, because is was working, there was nothing more they could do.
From your video, it sounds like every other Lightning/Mach-es I've heard.

But some people have said it gets louder if the refrigerant is low. Did they try adding any? If refrigerant is low, some AC systems will automatically stop the compressor to save it from damage.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From your video, it sounds like every other Lightning/Mach-es I've heard.

But some people have said it gets louder if the refrigerant is low. Did they try adding any? If refrigerant is low, some AC systems will automatically stop the compressor to save it from damage.
It does work continuously as long as the truck is moving which makes me think it's probably not a low refrigerant issue, but maybe it is.

Nothing's been done yet. I goes in on Monday. I'll update once I find out what the problem is.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
My AC compressor is definitely loud and ramps, but I don't think it has ever sounded like that. I hope the dealer is able to pinpoint the issue.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My AC compressor is definitely loud and ramps, but I don't think it has ever sounded like that. I hope the dealer is able to pinpoint the issue.
Hi there, Brandon. This A/C concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Lightning truck. Should you need further assistance, please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I've owned 2 Lightnings. The first one didn't sound like what you posted. The second one does. I'm taking mine in to have it looked at as well.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Hi there, Brandon. This A/C concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Lightning truck. Should you need further assistance, please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".
You miss understood. I don't think anyone will ever say their A/C is not loud, just something we're going to have to live with. It's the particular sound that it's making that is a concern in this thread. Mine sounds like an ICE engine idling. Nothing unusual about it (ignoring the volume of the sound).
Sponsored