• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Almost "Found On Road Dead" due to mobile charger problem

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I've had the truck 2 months.

First it was the one fast charger between me and a job site 108 miles away was not working, with my 324 mile battery getting only about 124 miles in -20F. I literally crawled into a slow charger the next morning, instead of sleeping. Since then I charge more at home with the Ford Mobile Power Cord charger that came with my Lariat ER. Until the last few days.

NOW, with my 2 month old (3 months if you consider manufacture date of 10/30/22 for my MY 22)

- Truck shows the charging screen, but says "Plugged in, not charging. Cannot find charging station"

FYI, and if anyone knows of a fix, I'd be happy to hear of it. I have Ford Pass and Settings set to Charge when Plugged In, not by times. And the charger glows blue, which means it is supposed to be ready to charge. The truck makes the charger warm-up whirring. Then the white ring lights go off and the message comes up on the screen.

I am waiting for SunBadger (Wisconsin's SunRun partner) to install the Ford Charge Station Pro. In the meantime, plugging into the RV pedestal 50A plug we have for family visiting in their RVs. I also tried the 50A plug in our pole barn. No amber or red lights, just the blue "all is well" light on the charger. When it first did this a few days ago, after the 3.5.4 OTA update, I thought it might just be a fluke. Today, I really needed to charge, and it ain't a fluke. It is a f... well another colorful adjective, accurately applied when it is only 2 months old and not working. I tried 120 and 240 plugs, in the charger, and it doesn't charge with either now, despite glowing the blue "ready to charge" glow.

With 9 miles of range left, I drove into town, and plugged a 6.6kw Charge Point station in (as we have no Fast Chargers within 50 miles). It charged no problems, to 30 miles in about 4.5 hrs. But it goes from $1.50 to $5 an hour after 5 hrs there, for squat range. And I can't stay there all night when I am supposed to be flying to a conference in the morning. Good thing we still have a Subaru. This is the second time in a month that winter range decrease has left me in trouble. Definitely if you get one of these, have a regular gas vehicle for backup!

Ford was less than helpful. Instead of offering to Fedex out a replacement, when it is obviously the charger that is SNAFU, they said to take it in to the dealer, and IF the dealer finds a problem, then they could put in a warranty claim for replacement. As if there is no rush in the world, because everyone knows how good the public non-Tesla charging infrastructure in this country is NOT.

Fortunately, I can afford to order an AmpRoad charger that others on this forum are using, and it will be here in a couple days, so my wife can charge the truck up while I am gone.

But what if we were a young or elderly couple just scraping by, living in the country here in cold winter Wisconsin? I would say DON'T get this truck, unless you can afford a spare charger for it or have a gas vehicle as backup.

Which is a shame, because I love driving this truck. But if you can't depend on the range AND on the charger to replenish range, then it slips into the "luxury" fun-to-tinker withcategory, NOT the "Ford Tough" category.

Very disappointed Ford. That is twice you've almost made me Found On Road Dead, in just 2 months!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
"Plugged in, not charging. Cannot find charging station" - is that the exact message?

I would delete the location in the TRUCK, then plug in the charger, and see what happens. If it charges, then the issue you had was with the location. Unplug, then save the location and settings again.

OP
OP
RedLightning86

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Plugged in, not charging. Cannot find charging station" - is that the exact message?

I would delete the location in the TRUCK, then plug in the charger, and see what happens. If it charges, then the issue you had was with the location. Unplug, then save the location and settings again.
thanks, but I think did all that. I know I deleted all the schedules and had chosen the “charge when plugged in” option, before I started deleting locations. No change. I think the only site I left was work, where a free non-network destination 7kw charger works just fine. Now sitting in an airport, won’t be home till mid next week.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
After you get home, bring the FMC into the house to allow it to come to room temp.
Curious if it will resume working, others have report malfunctions of the FMC when used in extreme cold regardless of the rated low operational value not being breached, issues have occured.

OP
OP
RedLightning86

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thanks - will try

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Could the FMC possibly devoting its energy (7.2 kW or less) to condition the cabin or battery before it can start charging in those low temps?

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I am waiting for SunBadger (Wisconsin's SunRun partner) to install the Ford Charge Station Pro.
I would not wait for SunBadger. Just get a local electrician to install it. As long as you're not one of the brave (probably crazy) people spending Thousands to get the Carnival trick that an functioning HIS setup installed. Your enjoyment level will be a lot higher once you have a proper Wall charger. That said, I just switched to the AMProad from a Tesla mobile charger. I never touched my Ford mobile charger.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Since then I charge more at home with the Ford Mobile Power Cord charger that came with my Lariat ER. Until the last few days.

NOW, with my 2 month old (3 months if you consider manufacture date of 10/30/22 for my MY 22)

- Truck shows the charging screen, but says "Plugged in, not charging. Cannot find charging station"

FYI, and if anyone knows of a fix, I'd be happy to hear of it. I
What was the final word on the mobile charger?
Sponsored