Sponsored

Am I charging to the maximum capacity of the battery and using the buffer?

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
There seems to be a select few of us that are having a software bug where the bms is not able to properly detect or display the true SOC. Mine is currently showing around 5-8 kWh off of true dSOC. This weekend I am doing the deep cycle bms calibration to see if that helps since I normally donā€™t go low in the pack thanks to @MickeyAO hard work.

As more and more people are posting about this happening, I suspect we will be hearing more from @Ford Motor Company about another cspā€¦.
Yes this could be a real problem.. my reported SOC is about 5% MORE than what Car Scanner is reporting.. So i tried to recalibrate charging to 100%, charging completed but car scanner only reported 96% SOC... so then real problem is when I drive it down to 10% coming back from a long trip typically for the last leg where I'll charge at home... I'm actually rolling in at 5% though the truck thinks it's at 10%... I could easily end up stranded on the road...
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Yes this could be a real problem.. my reported SOC is about 5% MORE than what Car Scanner is reporting.. So i tried to recalibrate charging to 100%, charging completed but car scanner only reported 96% SOC... so then real problem is when I drive it down to 10% coming back from a long trip typically for the last leg where I'll charge at home... I'm actually rolling in at 5% though the truck thinks it's at 10%... I could easily end up stranded on the road...
Exactly that is my concern too. We have already seen that situation play out as part of Out of Specā€™s issues with the press fleet lighting thatā€™s BMS got off and caused them to get a tow when they we around d 5% dSOC.

As it just started I am sure it is a bug or us needing to calibrate like Teslas have to keep the BMS balanced. I have faith @Ford Motor Company is aware or will be aware and have a solution

OP
OP

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Avalanche Gray
Iā€™ll hopefully report back in 9 days how the re-calibration goes. I only consume about 10% per day.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Exactly that is my concern too. We have already seen that situation play out as part of Out of Specā€™s issues with the press fleet lighting thatā€™s BMS got off and caused them to get a tow when they we around d 5% dSOC.

As it just started I am sure it is a bug or us needing to calibrate like Teslas have to keep the BMS balanced. I have faith @Ford Motor Company is aware or will be aware and have a solution
I have tried to recalibrate three tumes, ran down to 25% once and about 15% another time then charged to 100% immediatly after... I also was at about 70% and charged to 100% (Helene was heading to Fl) and so far no difference.. always 4% to almost 5% reported SOC to high... I will say that after the 2nd recal when I got down to below 39% it seemed to be off only 2 to 3% to high reporting in the truck... I havnt been that low again and will be charging up to 100% again for Milton that is more of a threat this to us than Helene.... just wish my HIS was working šŸ˜ž

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
So I charged to 100% on my 2024 Lariat which reportedly has a usable capacity of 131kWh and supposedly 143 kWh of actual physical capacity. Did the software get glitchy and charge the entire capacity of the battery? My Chargepoint EVSE correlates with the Fordā€™s readings.
<sigh> Batteries are not gas tanks. Let me repeat that: BATTERIES ARE NOT GAS TANKS. In essence, they are quantum devices. There is NO direct way to know with certainty their exact state of charge; the display on the dash (or communicated to the Ford Pass app) is the truck's best estimation of the charge level based voltage and other metrics, run through an algorithm or two. Maybe one day there will be a better way to calculate the SOC, but for now, it is simply a good guess. So, in short, your obsessing over these numbers is absolutely pointless.

OP
OP

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Avalanche Gray
<sigh> Batteries are not gas tanks. Let me repeat that: BATTERIES ARE NOT GAS TANKS. In essence, they are quantum devices. There is NO direct way to know with certainty their exact state of charge; the display on the dash (or communicated to the Ford Pass app) is the truck's best estimation of the charge level based voltage and other metrics, run through an algorithm or two. Maybe one day there will be a better way to calculate the SOC, but for now, it is simply a good guess. So, in short, your obsessing over these numbers is absolutely pointless.
I respectfully disagree. It's an NMC battery and so the delta in voltage readings should be good enough to be within +/- 5%.

10% inaccuracy seems excessive because in the case of this vehicle, it can be the difference between being towed and not towed.

But most importantly, posting this question has educated me on the inherent inaccuracy associated with state of charge readings as I often relied on the percentage and my miles/kwh to calculate remaining range.
Sponsored