Sponsored

Another power train reduced power case

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
2022 lariat ER, one of the first delivered from my dealer. Had no issues until now (besides recalls). Went to Start it today and got power train warning reduced power. Power meter stuck at 54% usable. Took it to dealership and was first told that's just the normal maintenance reminder. I pointed out the reduced power and showed them the Ford pass app showing the error. These dealerships have no idea about these EVs. They also said they would charge a $400 diagnostics fee if they can't find a part to replace as Ford won't cover warranty for diagnostics. Even if the fix is resetting the 12 volt system, they will still charge me because Ford won't cover that. They told me it's only waved if there is a part that needs replaced. Such BS.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
2022 lariat ER, one of the first delivered from my dealer. Had no issues until now (besides recalls). Went to Start it today and got power train warning reduced power. Power meter stuck at 54% usable. Took it to dealership and was first told that's just the normal maintenance reminder. I pointed out the reduced power and showed them the Ford pass app showing the error. These dealerships have no idea about these EVs. They also said they would charge a $400 diagnostics fee if they can't find a part to replace as Ford won't cover warranty for diagnostics. Even if the fix is resetting the 12 volt system, they will still charge me because Ford won't cover that. They told me it's only waved if there is a part that needs replaced. Such BS.
You have failed array(s). They need to run a pinpoint test.

No charge.

Reactions: chl

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I think @Ford Motor Company may want to have a chat with the dealer involved...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
What happened to 36 mos "BUMPER TO BUMPER" coverage?
Seems like fraud to me.

Sponsored

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
As stated above - this sounds like a dealer issue - I would pursue directly with @Ford Motor Company - they watch this forum and respond when they are tagged - I am confident they can coordinate with the dealer to get you diagnosed and fixed.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Your dealer is incompetent and full of bologna.

These dealerships have no idea about these EVs
No, it's your dealer. I doubt being ev has anything to do with it either, they'd most likely rip you off with any vehicle you brought there.

Name and shame, at least save someone else the hassle of visiting them.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer, and I’ll look into this powertrain reduced power concern.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
the name and location of your Ford dealer
@Mirus Inquiring minds want to know who this dealer is for adding to a possible blacklist. Maybe they are burned by the recent hack and taking it out on the customers? What is your build date and mileage? I am guessing June, 2022?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
@Mirus Inquiring minds want to know who this dealer is for adding to a possible blacklist. Maybe they are burned by the recent hack and taking it out on the customers? What is your build date and mileage? I am guessing June, 2022?
Week 1 of July 2022. 10k miles on it. The dealer can still do the right thing by fixing and not charging me, so I'll refrain from naming them until the final results.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What happened to 36 mos "BUMPER TO BUMPER" coverage?
Seems like fraud to me.
You don't understand how warranty works.

If the dealership explores your complaint, and finds it results from a non-warranty issue, you have to pay a diagnostic fee. That's always the case. SOME dealers may not do that during the 36 month warranty, but I guarantee you that ALL dealerships will do it outside the 36 month warranty unless it's a BLATANT thing.

This battery issue REQUIRES that the vehicle be hooked up and a Pinpoint test be run to see what is wrong with the battery. Then, when that tests shows them what needs to be replaced, no diagnostic fee will be assessed, and the necessary parts will be ordered.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bumper-to-bumper has always meant almost anything and everything between the front and rear bumpers (new cars generally also include separate powertrain, drivetrain, corrosion and rust warranties) that is not the result of an accident or misuse by the owner, and excludes 'wear and tear.'

Besides, the owner got a "power train warning reduced power. Power meter stuck at 54% usable."

That sounds like "electric vehicle component" or "powertrain" coverage.

Ford says the Lightning has:
----
Our New Vehicle Limited Warranty will help give you peace of mind with the following:
  • Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: Eight years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period
  • Powertrain Coverage: Five years/60,000 miles
  • Bumper to Bumper Coverage: Three years/36,000 miles
  • Safety Restraint System Coverage: 5 years/60,000 miles
  • Corrosion Coverage (perforation only): 5 years/unlimited miles
  • Electric Vehicle Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years/60,000 miles
----
Diagnostics charges are NOT COVERED only if the warranty claim is not covered, according to Ford.

Charging them up front when they amount to $400 is onerous, although permitted, however they should be refunded when the claim is resolved in his favor.

The problem is the Dealership is going to have his $400 for who knows how long.

BESIDES, the diagnostics have already been done by the vehicle reporting!

The process of hooking the vehicle "up and a Pinpoint test be run to see what is wrong with the battery" is not diagnostics per se, it is a necessary part of the repair identifying which modules need replacing, as you said it "shows them what needs to be replaced."

The truck has already done the diagnostics.

-----
Maybe the truck diagnostics are "wrong?"

Looking a bit deeper, it seems this warning has been very common among Lightnings according to posts on another site:

https://www.ford-lightning.com/threads/powertrain-malfunction.797/

But that it clears itself.
-----
My Ford App on my phone declared that there has been a Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power. The warning illuminates when the system has detected a powertrain or a four-wheel drive fault which means I need to contact the dealer ASAP.

This happened to mine and mine also cleared on it’s own - I made an appointment with dealer anyway and they advised there was a Ford Power Up that was in the process of installing and that was the likely cause.

The fault cleared overnight. I still took it into the Ford dealer where I bought it. They reported a number of other alarms in the system, test drove it for 30 miles for two days. Fault did not return and they declared that it was good to go.

Looks like consumers are testing Ford's hardware and software. Hopefully this will not happen again.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see that this is a very common problem reported on a number of F-150 Lightning forums.
----

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PS: According to Ford: waiving the diagnostic is only "customary" - that is, NOT mandated.
---
Under most state laws, a dealership's service department is entitled to ask for payment of a diagnostic fee which covers the labor cost to determine the cause of a vehicle's concern.

Upon diagnosis, if the repair is covered under an applicable warranty, extended service plan, recall, or customer satisfaction program, it is customary for the diagnostic fee to be waived.

If a repair is not covered under an applicable program, the diagnostic becomes part of the repair cost which is paid for by the customer. These charges are not determined by Ford Motor Company and must be negotiated between the dealer and the customer.
---
So suppose the diagnostic fee is $400 but the repair only costs $100?
Can you say "I've been ripped off!"

Another reason NOT to go to a Ford dealership with a repair issue unless absolutely necessary?
With new tech like the Lightning, probably almost no choice.
Sponsored