• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone have any tips reversing smoothly into a garage?

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
It's frustrating trying to reverse the Lightning into my garage.

There's a small rise at the lip of the garage entrance and getting over that is difficult for the front wheels because the truck constantly cuts the power and puts on the brakes because it thinks there are obstacles.

The truck will rock back and then roll forwards due it's weight and the slight grade. Then when the truck finally decides to give you a little power you have to be ready to slam on the brakes. It's not smooth and it's making me sea sick!

I'm hoping someone has figured out a workaround. I tried turning off the reverse braking assist feature - but it didn't make a difference.
Sponsored

Jaime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
You should be able to temporarily disable the sensors. I would disable one pedal driving and Auto-Brake.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

There's a small rise at the lip of the garage entrance and getting over that is difficult for the front wheels because the truck constantly cuts the power and puts on the brakes because it thinks there are obstacles.

The truck will rock back and then roll forwards due it's weight and the slight grade. Then when the truck finally decides to give you a little power you have to be ready to slam on the brakes. It's not smooth and it's making me sea sick!

I'm hoping someone has figured out a workaround. I tried turning off the reverse braking assist feature - but it didn't make a difference.
I have a garage that is also difficult. Same issues with lip, slow speeds, etc. As much as I would like to use/try one pedal and auto hold those make it much more frustrating. So if you’re using either one of those, turn them off. I’m able to pull in easily old style.

ambosway

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I disabled auto brake and hung a tennis ball from a string to hit the back windshield when my distance is perfect - analog sensor that my grandpa used. Have it lined up dead center with the rear headrest and works great in a tight garage. Cheers!

Sponsored

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
As much as I would like to use/try one pedal and auto hold those make it much more frustrating. So if you’re using either one of those, turn them off.
Absolutely agree, 1 pedal and auto hold made tight maneuvering nearly impossible. I had to have looked like a drunk the first time I tried to use a Tesla SC with those enabled.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Turn off Reverse Braking Assist.

Steven Walsh

First Name
Ateven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-159 Lightning SR 2022
Occupation
Architect

Get yourself some concrete patching compound and sculpt little micro ramps about 16” wide and 12” long where your wheels contact the lip.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-1-Qt-Concrete-Patching-Compound-8650-35/202092184

BarryGoyette

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Photographer

I had issues in my driveway, which is a curved, steep AF, skinny obstacle course. I started switching to off road mode which seemed to even out all the scary stuff. Not sure how it would work in reverse. (Over time I’ve just gotten better, less freaked out by the truck’s characteristics, so I keep it in normal mode now).

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Get yourself some concrete patching compound and sculpt little micro ramps about 16” wide and 12” long where your wheels contact the lip.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-1-Qt-Concrete-Patching-Compound-8650-35/202092184
Great idea!

I had to replace a ramped edge into my garage recently. I have a friend who works for Quikrete and he recommended the Polymer Modified Structural Concrete Repair. Here is a link ...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikret...d-Structural-Concrete-Repair-124125/207102852

If you want a permanent repair, you should scarify the concrete surface to which the Quikrete product will bond. I used the stone mason's tool in the following link. The Quikrete sets fairly quickly, so have all the prep work done in advance. The Quikrete has worked very well with no cracking or loosening of the new edge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AECB8NM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I park head-on into garage, and the following two items make it a breeze. The distance metering devices use "sonar." The curb stops work well without being bolted to the floor although they may move slowly over time.
My truck fits in my garage with about 10 inches to spare. But two parking aids other forum members mentioned make it a breeze. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHDGN5K/ and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VX8RJ8/. My garage is low enough that I had to remove the standard F-150 antenna. I replaced it with the following: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDKNQWM/, again another forum member's suggestion, IIRC.
Edit_Update: Also, in 2PD mode with AutoHold turned off, you can easily "creep," the same as if you were driving an ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/do-you-guys-like-“creep”-mode.11701/post-374387

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
After driving my lighting for 5 months, I learned how much juice to give it so when I do hit the garage floor lip it's enough to get me over that edge. Then I creep in the rest of the way. Practice.

OP
OP

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Excellent suggestions everyone. This is a great community!

I just tried combinations of turning off auto hold/reverse braking assist/cross traffic/sensors off/1pd off/ etc. and in my case it didn't help. Truck seems to get confused trying to clear the front wheels over that garage lip when I ease it back.

The most recent suggestion above seems to work best for now - carry a little momentum to get over that floor lip.

Longer term I'll use the patching compound suggested to create micro ramps.

Thanks All !!!
Sponsored