• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery Storage Tax Credit

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
To qualify for the 30% tax credit, battery storage must be:

-Installed in connection with a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
There was a previous thread on this. I think the consensus was that parking your truck in the garage does not meet the definition of “installed.”

@TaxmanHog ?

BBB

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250, focus, cmax energy.
Occupation
retired
It does say portable batts qualify so why would not a truck?

<<Beginning on January 1, 2023, standalone battery storage (batteries that aren't connected to solar panels) will also qualify for the 30% Residential Clean Energy Credit.

So if you only purchase some batteries for energy backup, don't worry, you also can have opportunity for this apply if meet the requirements that we're going through below.>>>

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
Nope. Guidance on this is clear. Double dipping, plus there's no breakout cost of the battery... even if it *did* somehow qualify, it would be for 30% of the price of the *battery*, not the whole truck.

You *can* do anything you want on a tax return, and the IRS *can* audit you and take that refund money back!

Zap

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'm not an accountant, I was a Revenue Officer aka collector aka leg breaker in mob parlance.

I'd think the portable part is with reference to systems like EcoFlow, which I have.... if it's installed in conjunction with a smart home panel and also has solar feed capability then it would qualify, these units can be made portable and used stand alone, but I think its primary intent is a semi fixed energy storage device.

Extending these concepts to a BEV with a home integration system that has solar inputs might seem to fit, but IMHO it still fails the test, as the solar doesn't directly charge the batteries in a BEV as it would in my EcoFlow system.

I wouldn't take the aggressive tax position that it qualifies, if your accountants thinks it does, be prepared for a challenge.

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
I read they changed the requirement that requires the battery to be charged from solar. That’s why I thought a BEV may qualify if you have the home integration.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I read they changed the requirement that requires the battery to be charged from solar. That’s why I thought a BEV may qualify if you have the home integration.
I don't keep up on these aspects, if you have citations we can read it would help speed up the validation.

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Slightly before January 1, 2023, on August 16, 2022, Congress passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. On page 131 of that Act, Congress added language to the law to give a tax credit to stand-alone batteries and made that amendment effective for January 1, 2023, installations and later (until the tax credit ends).

Here's the law before the battery language got added: https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml...q=granuleid:USC-2016-title26-section25D&num=0

Here's the law after the battery language got added: https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml...q=granuleid:USC-2021-title26-section25D&num=0

Notice that subsection (a)(6) changed from "the qualified biomass fuel property expenditures" to "the qualified battery storage technology expenditures," The details about battery size and location are in the post-amendment version of (d)(6).
Sponsored