• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Boat Launches

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Honda Accord Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Semi retired truck driver
Any issues with boat launches, being electric motors back there, as sometimes, especially shallow ramps, I have to back in reasonably far.
My current vehicle is a Ram 1500, and I have had to occasionally back in until about 70% of the rear tires are in the water. Is that doable without any problems?
Sponsored

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Any issues with boat launches, being electric motors back there, as sometimes, especially shallow ramps, I have to back in reasonably far.
My current vehicle is a Ram 1500, and I have had to occasionally back in until about 70% of the rear tires are in the water. Is that doable without any problems?
Having occasionally been involved in boat launches, I was wondering that myself...

I guess the real question is "For how many instances of partial submergence are the electric system seals reasonably expected to hold?"

A propos of nothing at all yet it's kind of related: last weekend I sprayed the bejeezus out of my underbody with Amsoil MP HD. Took 3.5 cans' worth. I figure "can't hurt, might help" and all that, as Winter salt and rains are a'coming.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Honda Accord Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Semi retired truck driver
This video says not to drive in water deaper than the center of the wheel hubs but it doesn't say why. That's the same guidance they give for ICE trucks. Maybe there's a vent for the differential you wouldn't want to submerge? I don't think electrical connections are a huge concern.
At most launches I put my rear tires in 20%-40%, but have had to occasionally back in till about 70% is under water. I change the rear diff oil in my ram every 2nd year, approximately 30,000 to 40,000 kms, and never had water contamination in it.

The lightning doesn't have a diff, so that won't be an issue.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
The lightning doesn't have a diff, so that won't be an issue.
The Lightning has a differential. If it didn't the wheels would squeal and hop around corners. There's a button in the settings menu to lock it. I don't know if it's vented.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
From the manual...

LAUNCHING OR RETRIEVING A BOAT OR PERSONAL WATERCRAFT

When backing down a ramp during boat launching or retrieval:
• Do not allow the static water level to rise above the bottom edge of the rear bumper.
• Do not allow waves to break higher than 6 in (15 cm) above the bottom
edge of the rear bumper.
Exceeding 6 in (15 cm) could allow water to enter vehicle components, causing internal damage to the components and affecting driveability, emissions and reliability.
Note: Disconnect the trailer wiring connector before backing the trailer into the water.
Note: Reconnect the trailer wiring connector after removing the trailer from
the water

Ltron

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER , 24 Lyriq AWD Lux1
Occupation
Ret
I have no problems @ 1/2 wheel depth with 6500# boat trailer tows great for about 1/2 rated range.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
From the manual...

LAUNCHING OR RETRIEVING A BOAT OR PERSONAL WATERCRAFT

When backing down a ramp during boat launching or retrieval:
• Do not allow the static water level to rise above the bottom edge of the rear bumper.
• Do not allow waves to break higher than 6 in (15 cm) above the bottom
edge of the rear bumper.
Exceeding 6 in (15 cm) could allow water to enter vehicle components, causing internal damage to the components and affecting driveability, emissions and reliability.
Note: Disconnect the trailer wiring connector before backing the trailer into the water.
Note: Reconnect the trailer wiring connector after removing the trailer from
the water
Disconnect the trailer wiring connector? I admit I have never heard of that.
So let the wiring connector dangle in the water as you back down the ramp LOL.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I think the concern is the same with an ICE truck. Bearings and gearcases aren’t built for being submerged in water, so there’s a risk of water intrusion.

The electrical components are completely sealed for safety. Water intrusion into the HV components could present a shock risk, so that shouldn’t be a problem for a boat launch. All of the ramps I use are deep enough that the motor never touches the water.

Ford F-150 Lightning Boat Launches PXL_20240519_191404934_Original

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Disconnect the trailer wiring connector? I admit I have never heard of that.
So let the wiring connector dangle in the water as you back down the ramp LOL.
This is so that the trailer bulbs don't short out. LED lights are not supposed to have this issue.

Sponsored

Ltron

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER , 24 Lyriq AWD Lux1
Occupation
Ret
Salt water is evil. A rinse cant hurt. Leds are low draw so they need good connections to work well.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I kinda of assumed that....but I don't think I have ever seen anyone disconnect their dongle BEFORE backing into the water.
I’ve heard the recommendation and seen it done, but I’ve never disconnected it myself. I sometimes get a “Trailer Wiring Fault” message when going in the water, but that’s he extent of it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I kinda of assumed that....but I don't think I have ever seen anyone disconnect their dongle BEFORE backing into the water.
I’ve trailered boats off and on for almost 60 years. The one time I forgot to unplug, both (incandescent) bulbs were hot enough that they broke when water hit them. The lamp housings are supposed to be watertight, but mine were old and apparently leaky. I always remembered to unplug after that.

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I too always try to unplug the trailer wiring harness right before dunking, but have forgotten a few times. It needs to stay plugged in until the trailer is "pulling" on the truck if you have surge breaks, otherwise the reverse inhibit won't be powered.

I've had my truck in up to the center of the wheel hub, so far no issue. But I will admit it gives me pause submerging the motor housing. It's the whole motor, not just some gears!!

Thanks for posting the portion from the manual, @RickLightning! Seems like we can go deeper than expected into the water if needed.
Sponsored