• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buying a mannequin demo Lightning - any reservations?

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Is the 42,000 mile warranty showing in your Ford account? We were told we also get the 42,000 which is standard with the mannequins. Online, it still shows 36,000 miles and the date the dealer received the truck.
Mine has told me the same thing and it still shows the same 36k.
today he said it was escalated at Ford but they are not in the office til after the 1st. The people at Ford who do that sort of thing.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
So the dealer had to deal directly with Ford about this? We bought out of state without a relationship with them so there is always a delay with the dealer doing anything.

jlwillia6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜14 Silverado, ā€˜23 Lightning Lariat ER (ordered)
I just had a dealer tell me that in Pennsylvania the demo units are considered used vehicles. Can anyone confirm this?
Iā€™d really like to know what others say about this too. Iā€™m worried my dealership will tell me it will be sold as new and I file for the full $7500 tax credit and find out months later when the IRS audits me that it wasnā€™t eligible.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Iā€™d really like to know what others say about this too. Iā€™m worried my dealership will tell me it will be sold as new and I file for the full $7500 tax credit and find out months later when the IRS audits me that it wasnā€™t eligible.
It will be clearly stated as ā€œnewā€ on the sale documents. I donā€™t know how this could be ineligible in that case.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
It will be clearly stated as ā€œnewā€ on the sale documents. I donā€™t know how this could be ineligible in that case.
Depends upon the state and whether the vehicle was tagged and titled. In Virginia, Iā€™ve seen it as a mixed bag. The two dealers by my house did not tag the their demos. However, I have been to other dealers in Virginia where the mannequin had regular Virginia license plates on it. My expectation is that trucks that had been previously tagged and titled will be sold as used while those that were not can be sold as new. But again, state law will control.

Sponsored

TexasGardeningGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT
Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a long time. Anyway, I bought a mannequin and it's turning into a bit of an ordeal. The dealership was not up front about how long it would be before I could take delivery. They implied it would be in a few weeks, for sure by years end for the tax credit. "Have ways to make it work", they said. They have two, maybe three test-drive Lightnings. It's not like they need another mannequin. One of those test-drive vehicles is a platinum with all the trimmings and it had less than 150 miles on it when I test drove it, they could put that in the showroom. We didn't do a deposit to hold the showroom truck I bought, but rather a full sale, where I financed most of it. My first payment is due now in 3 weeks. Now I'm being told that since the truck just came in last month, I can't have it until May! This did not set right with me. They were full on dishonest.

I contacted Ford and started a case with them. My challenge to them was that the dealership needs to release the truck to me now that they have actually sold it. It no longer meets the criteria for a demo or mannequin. They can no longer use it for test drives, it had less than 50 miles on it to begin with and better still be under 50 when I take delivery. And if it's in the showroom, they can't be letting people climb through it. My insurance has looked at the paperwork and asks how I can't have it... No agreement with the dealership allowing them to withhold it. They won't place it on my policy like my other vehicles until I take possession. If they insure it under the current situation, I'll be insuring it as if it's placed on display, like a car museum or a shopping mall. And they want an agreement from the dealership with terms and dates and insurance cert from them. Dealership is not being cooperative on that, telling me insurance is all my responsibility now that I own it. Which is great they put that in an email, which I also sent to Ford.

The Ford representative who is handling my case says that after my paperwork is reviewed, if they find I have met all the criteria to meet my end of the sale, they will have the dealership release the truck to me. Which I have. It's now in the hands of the dealership to give me the truck with temp registration/tags. Everything is done up to the point where they submit the sale paperwork to Ford for them to release the MSO/ title kit. I'm thinking the dealership might have to eat the pre-sale penalty on this one. That's their problem, not mine. I don't know how long Ford will take to review.

My insurance agent and my accountant both think I should start invoicing the dealership for the days they hold my truck, since I own it but can't use it. I know they won't pay it, but I'll send an invoice just because. Charge them fair market value for truck rental and let a few invoices pile up then send them to collections. If Ford rules they made a complete sale and have to hand over the truck, then I have more leverage on the invoicing.

So watch out, shady dealerships trying to game the system. Now they've already been paid *in full* for a truck that is supposed to sit there and not be sold for the next 4~5+ months. Helps them on year-end sales numbers I guess. And I've got nothing to show for it but a huge blemish on my credit score and a payment due for a truck I can't park in my driveway.

I'm not sure how ugly this might get or how much I should post online just yet, but needed to vent.
can you report it stolen and call the police? they are keeping it against the law

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
So the dealer had to deal directly with Ford about this? We bought out of state without a relationship with them so there is always a delay with the dealer doing anything.
Yes they are. I bought out of state as well, but our salesman has been very responsive and is taking care of it. so farā€¦

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
I just had a dealer tell me that in Pennsylvania the demo units are considered used vehicles. Can anyone confirm this?
These are still new vehicles. I have purchased two of them.
They were never registered so they are new vehicles and you are entitled to the $7500 tax credit
the warranty should start at the day of sale and 36,000 miles on top of the mileage at Delivery. Or in some cases, they are adding the 42 month 42,000 mile warranty from the beginning of the delivery to the dealer.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Our warranty still shows this. Guess I will need to try and get in touch with Ford after the holidays and hope someone there will know how to resolve it.
Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a mannequin demo Lightning - any reservations? warranty.PNG

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
In the app, mine shows the Warranty as 3 yrs / 36,000 with a start date in June (I bought it in December).
So will be contacting the dealer to see if they can update either the start date or add 6 more months.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
My brother just bought a mannequin in PA. It was titled new because the dealer never titled it. If the dealer had titled the vehicle, then it would be used. This depends on what your dealer decided to do prior to you buying it and it should be clear in the paperwork.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
They do if they have a non-mannequin Lightning to swap into the demo program (FCTP) to replace the mannequin you bought.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...early-or-face-25k-fine-other-penalties.10295/
Of course, but these guys had no intention of working with me in any way. The deal is effectively dead after the lender suspended the funding. Ford is reviewing the whole ordeal, but I won't have anything from them for another week or so, since all the necessary people at Ford are on holiday. Dealership outright lied to my lender, lied to Ford, lied to me. All so they could game the system and take my money now. I've had to start the process of suing them to get my down-payment back. This dealership is a complete circus. Have filed official complaints with the state auto dealership board and the state attorney general. Auto dealers board has an active and ongoing case regarding this dealership and has been actively communicating with my attorney and I. They're probably going to be losing their dealership license, or at the very least having it suspended until several cases, not just mine, are resolved.

I could go on, but the TL;DR version of this is that the dealership is completely 100% f*cked if they stay on their present course.

On the bright side, On Friday I get to pick up the '23 Lariat ER I ordered and have it just in time for the fed tax credit.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
On Friday I get to pick up the '23 Lariat ER I ordered and have it just in time for the fed tax credit.
Angry for the dealer shenanigans, happy for your Lariat. (y) I hope the dealer pays dearly for their douchebaggery.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Our warranty still shows this. Guess I will need to try and get in touch with Ford after the holidays and hope someone there will know how to resolve it.
warranty.PNG
Did you ever get an update on this? I spent over an hour on the phone today to be told NO. Since it was put in service as a Demo at the dealer, the warranty starts the day they got it. SO I am out 6 months of coverage on all warranty levels. Now if I add a Ford ESP, it will also start at that date. So if I by an 8 year plan, it will still start the date delivered to the dealer and not when I bought it. :mad: What can @FORD do about this??
Sponsored