• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cabin Heat issues (Intermittent/not warming) after Battery Module Replacement

Zzebro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
**Update**
Drove around for about an hour with some stops here and there. Tested head occasionally with no improvement. Just got home and checked the coolant… Reservoir is empty again. Added about a liter to get it back to max. Let it sit running with heat on blast for a few minutes. Level did not go down and can’t see any wet spots on ground. Baffling.

2022 Lightning Lariat 511A - 39k miles

Recently had the “power reduced” warning and had to go into the shop for a Battery module replacement. After getting the truck back and heading out to work in the morning the windshield would not de-fog. It was on max defrost and the heat button was on but it didn’t feel like it was getting warm, let alone hot. I tried a few adjustment with the fan speed and different vents and the issue continued. It would blow cool then start to get warm and go right back to cool.

Doing some checks around the truck I noticed the coolant was extremely low. Couldn’t see any in the reservoir. I just filled it up (added 1 liter) with the OEM coolant and still having issues at the moment.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone experienced similar issues with the heat? Notably, after a module replacement.

2. Does coolant drain out during the module replacement process? I am certain the level was not that low when it went to the shop as I checked it when I got the reduced power error. I’m not sure if it was this low when they first gave it back to me but I will be keeping an eye on it. Concerning if that wasn’t something they checked during the process.

I have an appointment set up for next Friday. When I called and told them the issue since the repair they told me to pick any day next week to bring it in and said they thing it might have been a “programming issue” after the module replacement.

TIA for any insight!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’m pretty sure the coolant gets drained when replacing modules. And it’s a bitch to get the airlocks out when refilling.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I’m pretty sure the coolant gets drained when replacing modules. And it’s a bitch to get the airlocks out when refilling.
This even happens with new trucks. The airlocks eventually work themselves out at the expense of the coolant in the overflow tank. Top it up and keep an eye on it for a few days and it should be fine. I had to add coolant once initially when mine was new, but it's been fine ever since. It is a watch item on new trucks and when a battery module needs to be replaced.

Sponsored

NCevGuyF150

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford lightning
Occupation
Repair technician
My understanding is the 22 and 23 is have resistance heat. Something similar to your toaster or your oven. Something that gets hot and air is blown across it to warm the vehicle. The coolant level that you’re speaking of is for keeping the battery pack cool

I understand in 2024 the lightning will become equipped with a heat pump. This will be much more efficient and use much less battery to heat the cabin.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
My understanding is the 22 and 23 is have resistance heat. Something similar to your toaster or your oven. Something that gets hot and air is blown across it to warm the vehicle. The coolant level that you’re speaking of is for keeping the battery pack cool

I understand in 2024 the lightning will become equipped with a heat pump. This will be much more efficient and use much less battery to heat the cabin.
They do, but I wonder if it has both. The heat pump only works up to a certain degrees until it can’t get heat out of the environment anymore. While resistance heating, even though less efficient, can heat to a lot lower outside temperature.

NCevGuyF150

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford lightning
Occupation
Repair technician
They do, but I wonder if it has both. The heat pump only works up to a certain degrees until it can’t get heat out of the environment anymore. While resistance heating, even though less efficient, can heat to a lot lower outside temperature.
I’m not 100% sure of the technology in the Tesla or what’s coming in the lightning. However, inverter technology such as on a mini split are good down to at least five below zero.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Actually the PTC (15) is like a toaster oven element but it does indeed boil the glycol coolant which is sent to the heater core in the HVAC cabinet in the cab of the truck to heat up the air.

This is a MachE system which is exactly like a Lightning without the Max Tow option.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cabin Heat issues (Intermittent/not warming) after Battery Module Replacement 1726063091389-tm
Sponsored