• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Canada: Chance to buy new ‘23 Pro ER

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
So I had pretty much given up on the Lightning after last year’s reservation schmozzle and huge price increase. Was thinking about either waiting to buy used, or wait for T3 in a couple of years.

Found a Ford dealer here in Canada who has a fleet order that was cancelled by the customer and they are being sold to retail buyers. This is for the “unicorn” brand new 2023 Pro trim with the ER battery. Selling at Cdn MSRP which is $91k Cdn. (About 68k USD). Of course 15% sales tax on top of that pushes over 100k. Still a fortune for a new toy that is a pretty bare bones truck, but about 10k less than an ER XLT. I don’t mind vinyl, it does have heated seats but not steering wheel, etc.

what to do what to do
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I have a Pro. Like it a lot.
I selected the Pro because I had never driven an EV and figured I did not have much to loose if I did not like it or it was inconvenient to charge.
If I knew I would like the Lightning so much, I would have purchased the XLT.
Up to you to decide if the extra creature comforts are worth the extra $10k

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
I have an Oxford white Pro with an ER battery and I love it! But I got mine when MSRP was 50k. I felt like that was a screaming deal! As a 2022 model year, mine didn’t even have heated seats. But the feature I wish it had was the 360 degree camera associated with the tow technology package.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
To add a bit more to the discussion: I personally like the 18 inch wheels and AT tires better. I like the smaller screen with buttons better. The vinyl is durable and easy to clean. I actually like the matte black plastic accents (grill, bumper, door handles, door frame, etc). Many don’t even like the look of the front and back light bar (I do and this is something else I wish I had). But at the end of the day these are mostly aesthetic things and I didn’t buy the truck for aesthetics.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
To add a bit more to the discussion: I personally like the 18 inch wheels and AT tires better. I like the smaller screen with buttons better. The vinyl is durable and easy to clean. I actually like the matte black plastic accents (grill, bumper, door handles, door frame, etc). Many don’t even like the look of the front and back light bar (I do and this is something else I wish I had). But at the end of the day these are mostly aesthetic things and I didn’t buy the truck for aesthetics.
I love - LOVE - my 2023 Lightning Pro SR. And I agree with everything above. I wanted a real truck and that’s what I got. I carry construction materials - including bulk gravel - and trash in it all the time. It is a beast.

Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I love my pro and wouldn't have gotten a higher spec truck anyway. I'd love to have the ER battery, but everything else that I wanted I've been able to add on after the fact - Adaptive Cruise Control, Passive locking and unlocking, automatic windshield wipers, and pretty much anything else I can think of. Eventually I'll probably replace the vinyl and get heating and cooled katzkin seats, but for now it's fine for me. I did get mine at the original price of 40k though (plus my options and everything), so it's a good deal cheaper for me.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
How are people searching for these? I feel like there are a lot of dealers that still don't list on cars.com or Autotrader.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Does this PRO include the Max Tow and 9.6Kw onboard package?

I would say buy, buy, buy.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I have a 2023 Pro SR with 9.6 Pro Power and Tow Tech. I was lucky to get introductory pricing with all incentives, so it was a no brainer purchase. I like the utility look and feel of the Pro. The vinyl seats are actually quite comfortable. The features I mostly miss are Heated Steering Wheel, ACC, Lane Centering and PAAK. FWIW: I wouldn't be a buyer of my actual truck at prices north of $55k currently due to imminent competition and future changes to the Lightning that include a heat pump and LFP.

Last edited:

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I have a 2023 Pro SR with 9.6 Pro Power and Tow Tech. I was lucky to get introductory pricing with all incentives, so it was a no brainer purchase. I like the utility look and feel of the Pro. The vinyl seats are actually quite comfortable. The features I mostly miss are Heated Steering Wheel, ACC, Lane Centering and PAAK. FWIW: I wouldn't be a buyer of my actual truck at prices north of $55k currently due to imminent competition and future changes to the Lightning that include a heat pump and LFP.
You can add the ACC with lane centering and speed sign recognition! I'm working on the heated steering wheel, just have to figure out the forscan changes necessary. Not sure if PAAK can be added, but you can at least do the passive entry where you just stick your hand in the door handle and it unlocks (as long as you have your key fob on you)

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
$90k for a work truck? no way! I say wait for the next gen lightning. it will most likely be better value for the dollar and it'll come equipped with the Tesla connector.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
You can add the ACC with lane centering and speed sign recognition! I'm working on the heated steering wheel, just have to figure out the forscan changes necessary. Not sure if PAAK can be added, but you can at least do the passive entry where you just stick your hand in the door handle and it unlocks (as long as you have your key fob on you)
I’m ok with minor modifications but taking off the front bumper and tub is not something I will be doing. My local dealership won’t service my lightning for any electrical issues as is, instead referring me to their other location 45 minutes away. The lightning is so new that many dealerships aren’t comfortable or familiar with it. I don’t want to give the dealership/Ford any reason for denying warrantee repairs. BTW: I know about the Magnuson Moss Act. Just last week my truck “freaked out” (25 codes) according to my dealership. I got an error of reduced power, not confidence inspiring to say the least. I shut off the truck and put it back on, and alert was gone. This came days after a OTA software update. Coincidence or not, I’d vote yes! When I first picked up the truck, my modem was malfunctioning for two months due to Ford botching an OTA update to some Lightnings and Broncos. Ford has a long way to go before they have mastered the software defined vehicle. Farley admitted that to Musk on Twitter spaces that software has been the most difficult part.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for all the input here. In the end, I am going to wait. If I’m going to spend that amount of money I wanna get the exact creature comforts that I want without trying to do modifications on my own. I’m looking forward to a future truck with faster charging and maybe the charging infrastructure will be a bit more developed, especially with supercharger access. This was a time sensitive buy, i think these units are selling quite fast and I can see why, but I will sit tight. I enjoy my Honda ridgeline immensely, this was going to be more about a first time EV rather than needing a full-size truck . If any other Canadians are interested, there are a few red ones left at circuit Ford in Montreal

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
Shop used instead; I am finding low mileage extended range Lariats with all the bells and whistles for the same price.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shop used instead; I am finding low mileage extended range Lariats with all the bells and whistles for the same price.
You are right, seeing a couple of ‘22 ER lariats for similar.
Since about 75% of my use is business, I needed to buy brand new to take advantage of the Canadian tax deduction (CCA class 54) which allows a 100% write off in the first year of a new EV up to a certain limit, which for me would mean almost $25k back on my taxes. It is being slowly phased out after 2023.
Sponsored