• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can't DCFC: {fixed post 19}

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
I've had my truck for about 3 months now and have been getting ready for my first road trip. I realized that I had never actually used DCFC with this vehicle (I have had other EVs) so I decided to try a couple to make sure I had accounts set up correctly, etc. I tried connecting to a chargepoint DCFC station and got a charge error, blinking red lights. I decided to leave and try another charger and when I got in, the notice that I needed to service soon popped up. Yellow wrench, I go to the app and it tells me "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power". But the truck drives fine. I go home and have dinner then when I go out to the truck and turn it on, yellow wrench is gone, the app says everythings healthy... so I head out to try an EA DCFC close by. I plug in and get the red flashing lights, charger error... the EA station tries to reconnect multiple times but times out. After trying to plug/unplug, etc I give up. The app still says everything is healthy. But if I can't DCFC, a roadtrip with this truck is out of the question. I searched and have not seen anyone else have this same issue. I also have the latest plug and charge update I received OTA a couple of weeks ago. I should also mention that I cannot charge with Tesla chargers and an A2Z Typoon either (just got the pro today). I think my truck just has a DCFC problem. Thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
yeah thats the plan. I read that thread about the Powertrain Malfunction and bad cells and am hoping I don't end up with my truck in the shop for months.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
There have been several reports of the charge port being defective. It may be that as opposed to a cell failure.

Either way it sucks. Sorry to see you having an issue. Hopefully, they can get it taken care of quickly @Ford Motor Company

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Looking forward to your diagnosis & fixed reports.

Sponsored

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I've had my truck for about 3 months now and have been getting ready for my first road trip. I realized that I had never actually used DCFC with this vehicle (I have had other EVs) so I decided to try a couple to make sure I had accounts set up correctly, etc. I tried connecting to a chargepoint DCFC station and got a charge error, blinking red lights. I decided to leave and try another charger and when I got in, the notice that I needed to service soon popped up. Yellow wrench, I go to the app and it tells me "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power". But the truck drives fine. I go home and have dinner then when I go out to the truck and turn it on, yellow wrench is gone, the app says everythings healthy... so I head out to try an EA DCFC close by. I plug in and get the red flashing lights, charger error... the EA station tries to reconnect multiple times but times out. After trying to plug/unplug, etc I give up. The app still says everything is healthy. But if I can't DCFC, a roadtrip with this truck is out of the question. I searched and have not seen anyone else have this same issue. I also have the latest plug and charge update I received OTA a couple of weeks ago. I should also mention that I cannot charge with Tesla chargers and an A2Z Typoon either (just got the pro today). I think my truck just has a DCFC problem. Thoughts or suggestions?
Very similar thing happened to me.

Known issue - some sort of locking device that is required for DCFC (only) - several people here have posted that theirs were bad. My truck was in the shop for a few days, haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
yeah thats the plan. I read that thread about the Powertrain Malfunction and bad cells and am hoping I don't end up with my truck in the shop for months.
don't panic about the power train malfunction error. I got it twice late last year. in both cases the truck ran with no problems. got it to the dealer a month later for a CSP addressing the issue. haven't seen any errors since. as for the DCFC??? hope the dealer fixes you up

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
This is going to sound silly. I had the same issue on my first DCFC session, I was freaking out. These CCS cables are bulky and heavy. I was being somewhat gentle, my usual self, plugging it into the truck. Make sure you firmly seat the charger all the way into the port. My guess is that the locking pin was not engaging fully, causing the truck to reject the charger and throw a red ring.

Sponsored
OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
This is going to sound silly. I had the same issue on my first DCFC session, I was freaking out. These CCS cables are bulky and heavy. I was being somewhat gentle, my usual self, plugging it into the truck. Make sure you firmly seat the charger all the way into the port. My guess is that the locking pin was not engaging fully, causing the truck to reject the charger and throw a red ring.
Naw this is my 3rd EV so I am quite familiar with DCFC. I am pretty certain it is this charge port actuator thing. When I plug it in I hear some locking mechanism engage and then disengage, then the red lights come.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Moved thread to Issues, this seems like a malfunction.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/tsb-22-2355-pdf.80021/
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Level 3 Charging - Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs
TSB 22-2355, 19 September 2022

Also via NHTSA:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10233580-0001.pdf
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Level 3 Charging, Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs
TSB 23-2014, 01 March 2023
If the charging cord is removed from the charge port without the lock/release button fully pressed, this can damage the charge port locking pin actuator and disable level 3 charging for the next charging session. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace only the charge port lock actuator.
Sponsored