Sponsored

Cell and module balancing question

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Anyone have detailed specs on how the BMS performs cell balancing? Current rates, etc.

Same for between modules, assuming it balances between modules. And detailed specs on currents, voltage tolerances, etc.

We have seen that the truck appears to do balancing between 99% and 100% based on variations in charging speed. I'm wondering if that is cell balancing, module balancing, or both.
Sponsored

electricpig

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Y
If balancing happens between 99-100%, should we be charging to 100% occasionally?
I am of the opinion, that charging to 100% occasionally is needed for BMS calibration and leveling. Question is, how often? Idk, but I would not do so more frequently than every 6-9 months in typical use. That typical use to me means level w charging to 80ost of the time, with occasional fast charging for a longer trip. JMO but hopefully someone will have some real data, and not just their perceptions.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
If balancing happens between 99-100%, should we be charging to 100% occasionally?
Yes. I charge to 100% SOC about once per month and SOH is 100% after 20 months and 25k mi. Just don't leave it at 100% for long. I do it just before a trip and adjust my charge rate (with my Emporia EVSE) to get to 100% SOC about an hour before leaving.

Ry2023

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
I’m not sure about the actual percentage where balances…. but once in a while at lower percentages … especially after charging (following the 20/90 rule ) I noticed it adjust itself and one or two percent up down… however I do charge you 100 once or twice a month….. For range purposes…. And never sits at 100 for more than an hour max
Sponsored