Center Jumpseat and console to column shifter swap

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
I'm hoping to swap the center console for a jumpseat from an ICE F-150 and also swap the console gear shifter to a column shifter, or worse case, just mount the console shifter to the floor in front of the jump seat. I would really like to have six seats. Do you guys think the floor and the mount points in the lightning will be the same as an ICE model? I found this photo of a preproduction lightning on the assembly line.
Ford F-150 Lightning Center Jumpseat and console to column shifter swap lightning floor
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I can't imagine how you will swap shifters from an EV F-150 to an ICE F-150.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3! (F-150 Lightning soon)
Is the shifter even connected to anything? It's just a giant multi-position switch. I imagine an electronics whiz could quite easily replace that entire mechanism with a small knob.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Most transmissions are all electrically controlled now that there is no mechanical linkage to deal with.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Is the shifter even connected to anything? It's just a giant multi-position switch. I imagine an electronics whiz could quite easily replace that entire mechanism with a small knob.
Exactly. Any shifter should do:
Ford F-150 Lightning Center Jumpseat and console to column shifter swap 1646783718861

No different, we just have bigger ones.

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Messing with the steering column seems like an added level of complexity that is not really needed to achieve the desired result.

Moving the existing console-mounted shifter from the center console to mounting it on/in the dash to the right of the steering wheel might be a more viable option. If you don't need the smart-trailer controls and trailer brake controls, that might be a good location to put the shifter.

As an example, look at where the dash-mounted shifter in the E-Transit van is located..

Fabricating something to relocate the existing shifter switch on/in the dash and simply re-routing the wiring connections seems like a viable. path forward.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
The front middle passenger: no front and overhead airbags, no shoulder belt, no headrest, just a screen to smash your head into assuming you get a high quality seat belt.

Watch a crash:

infinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Sorry to bump an old thread but I firmly believe this is possible depending on the level of work you want to invest. I think the Lightning is the only EV a 6 seater will be possible in since Tesla decided to ditch the seat and the Rivian is too small. Not sure about the Silverado.

Firstly the console and the jump seat brackets seem to be the same part numbers. see the bottom of the post.

The user above mentioned the screen and seatbelt but the seatbelt is mounted to the seat and also looking at the part numbers the airbags seem to be the same on both center seat and lightning models.

The trickier bit is the column shifter. you would have to swap out the steering column as the Lightning does not have it since the bracket is welded on. One alternative to that is to get the rotary shifter from other Fords as that has been shown to be compatible. I'd think the rotary shifter plus some type of 3D printed bracket. It looks like for sells an auxiliary cup holder designed for the jump seat. I think I'd sacrifice one of those and mount the knob there or fab something else in the same area. Overall I think the level of work effort is less than that of the column shifter. The infotainent.com mod for column to console, and the rotary shifter mod as well as other F150 conversions make me fairly confident this can be done.

cup holder:
Ford F-150 Lightning Center Jumpseat and console to column shifter swap _holder_3_a4bf2a8b4c6b3747e5170f8f4e0317f830931e98

ICE F150 vin with bench:
Console Bracket. Seat Frame Bracket - Front.
Seat Track Bracket.
Part #: FL3Z96625A80B
Usage: FRONT, 07/22/2021, F150, With Split Bench Front Seat;FRONT, 10/12/2020, F150, With Split Bench Front Seat
Section: Front Seat Base

Lightning vin:
Console Bracket. Seat Frame Bracket - Front.
Seat Track Bracket.
Part #: FL3Z96625A80B
Usage: FRONT, 07/22/2021, F150, Console Mounted E-Shift Linkage;FRONT, 10/12/2020, F150, Console Mounted E-Shift Linkage
Section: Console - Floor
Sponsored