• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro Overheating and restarting issues

dodgedak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2023
I recently had the FCSP installed with a 100 amp breaker and a 25 feet run with the #3 wires by a licensed electrician and it is installed inside the garage.
First day when it started charging it was shutting down and restarting multiple times. I contacted support and they mentioned I had an older firmware .64 and had to have the new .91 firmware installed to avoid the overheating issue and the quickest way to do this was to reset the circuit breaker which I did and was able to get the .91 firmware. After this I thought the problem would go away but it has only reduced the number of restarts, charger charges at 16 or 17Kw rate for approx 50-55 minutes and then it restarts and again ramps up to 17kw. I called the ford BEV support and they say it is operating fine, as long as it does not stop charging ignore the restart messages and it should continue to finish the charge. Also suggested placing a pedestal fan next to charger so that it does not overheat. Which seems preposterous. If temp was the issue i tried charging early morning when the temp was in the 60's and still the same issue. Any thoughts/feedback ?.
I have yet to derate it to 72 or 64 amps by turning the setting from 7 to 6 or 5, will have the try that. But the main purpose of spending money to install this was to get the full rate but Ford is not helping by saying this is a normal behavior.
edited: to update actual breaker amp. It is a 100 amp breaker.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Running at 80-amp max rating requires a 100-amp circuit breaker.

Try reducing the output to 64 amps using the pot inside the EVSE/FCSP

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
If the breaker isn’t tripping, I don’t think that will have any effect on this issue- although 100% it needs to be larger.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
It could be that running 96% of load through the breaker it's not tripping but maybe there is a v-drop or extraneous noise as it's approaching the max rating causing the control circuitry to behave strangely, 64A is the max for an 80A breaker.

My other concern is competency of the license electrician to match up the specified #3 wire to the 80A breaker and NOT derating the FCSP from the get-go!

OP
OP

dodgedak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2023
Running at 80-amp max rating requires a 100-amp circuit breaker.

Try reducing the output to 64 amps using the pot inside the EVSE/FCSP
I misquoted when i said 80 amp breaker, it is a 100 amp breaker.

Sponsored

turbato

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium ER, 2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Security
I recently had the FCSP installed with a 100 amp breaker and a 25 feet run with the #3 wires by a licensed electrician and it is installed inside the garage.
First day when it started charging it was shutting down and restarting multiple times. I contacted support and they mentioned I had an older firmware .64 and had to have the new .91 firmware installed to avoid the overheating issue and the quickest way to do this was to reset the circuit breaker which I did and was able to get the .91 firmware. After this I thought the problem would go away but it has only reduced the number of restarts, charger charges at 16 or 17Kw rate for approx 50-55 minutes and then it restarts and again ramps up to 17kw. I called the ford BEV support and they say it is operating fine, as long as it does not stop charging ignore the restart messages and it should continue to finish the charge. Also suggested placing a pedestal fan next to charger so that it does not overheat. Which seems preposterous. If temp was the issue i tried charging early morning when the temp was in the 60's and still the same issue. Any thoughts/feedback ?.
I have yet to derate it to 72 or 64 amps by turning the setting from 7 to 6 or 5, will have the try that. But the main purpose of spending money to install this was to get the full rate but Ford is not helping by saying this is a normal behavior.
edited: to update actual breaker amp. It is a 100 amp breaker.
Did they run copper or aluminum? #3 needs to be copper or will have issues. If want aluminum need to go bigger.

OP
OP

dodgedak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2023
Did they run copper or aluminum? #3 needs to be copper or will have issues. If want aluminum need to go bigger.
It is Copper #3 and approx 25 feet run.

OP
OP

dodgedak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2023
If the breaker isn’t tripping, I don’t think that will have any effect on this issue- although 100% it needs to be larger.
Misquoted the breaker, it is 100 amp. Looks like more of an issue with the charger than wiring/breaker.

turbato

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium ER, 2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Security
Misquoted the breaker, it is 100 amp. Looks like more of an issue with the charger than wiring/breaker.
Still could be wiring. May want to have your electrician double check everything it torqued correctly.Both under and over torqued connections can cause overheating. If all to spec then I push back on Ford to get a replacement.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Mine does still overheat in the middle of summer when temps are 110F+, I had to dial it back to 60amps in the app. I've been fine with 80amps when under 100F though.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I misquoted when i said 80 amp breaker, it is a 100 amp breaker.
That's a relief to hear, after you have the electrician re-inspect the connections, try dialing it back to 64A anyway, if the start/stop problem persists then it's likely to be a defective FCSP.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
First day when it started charging it was shutting down and restarting multiple times.
Do you have any friends with a Lightning or other BEV's in the area who could try using your FCSP to confirm the problem is with the FCSP?

Try a public level-2 EVSE to confirm the problem isn't with the trucks charge controller.

Delete any limitation schemes (time & SOC limiters) just in case there might be some kind of corruption with it.

Also, maybe do a 12v LVB disconnect at the negative terminal to totally reboot all systems in the truck.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Given all the info in this thread, I’d agree that your FCSP has a problem. Hopefully they’ll replace it for you.

OP
OP

dodgedak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2023
Do you have any friends with a Lightning or other BEV's in the area who could try using your FCSP to confirm the problem is with the FCSP?

Try a public level-2 EVSE to confirm the problem isn't with the trucks charge controller.

Delete any limitation schemes (time & SOC limiters) just in case there might be some kind of corruption with it.

Also, maybe do a 12v LVB disconnect at the negative terminal to totally reboot all systems in the truck.
Good idea, will check. I have a chargestation plus for another EV and it charges properly on that but only at the 8 or 9 kw rate without it overheating . I dont have any time schedule for charging.

OP
OP

dodgedak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2023
Given all the info in this thread, I’d agree that your FCSP has a problem. Hopefully they’ll replace it for you.
Will need to keep calling them I believe. Currently they are saying that overheating is normal.
Sponsored