• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging in the Delmarva (DE, MD & VA) Peninsula

OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 1999 Corvette Roadster
Occupation
Real Estate
Blink seems to show some chargers in the area, but does seem to be a desert for EVgo and Electrify America
These charging deserts is the major reason why EV sales are tanking.
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
No worries, partner. I greatly appreciate your assistance. You got me pointed in the right direction. I dowloaded both apps as well as the Tesla, EA, Blink, EVgo, & EV Connect apps (had the Ford app of course).

This whole process of just finding a fast charger has turned into a freaking Snipe hunt. Shame on all the EV Charging vendors for their apparent lack of any "give a sh*t" whatsoever, not to mentions their poor maintenance and repair records. AND bad info about whether the chargers actually work or not.

The good news is that after several hours of downloading and searching thru every app I could find, and then confirming the info on all the stations by reading all the reviews and even calling some of the locations, I finally found some fast chargers.

Queenstown, MD on Kent Island at the "Outlets" (Rt 50 and 301) has 4 new 350 Kw EA chargers. There are also some other chargers there.

The Royal Farms in Easton, MD has at least one "Magic Dock" Tesla chargers and 7 or 8 regular Tesla chargers.

First State Chevy in Georgetown, MD has one 120 Kw "EVConnect" charger outside.

Ocean City, MD has two locations with Level 3 (fast) chagers. The 40th St location is in the municipal city parking lot by the Convention Center and has two level 3 chargers and some level 2 chargers (6 chargers total). The 100th St location has two Level 3 stations & some level 2 chargers (6 chargers total). Each charger has two plugs. All the OC chargers are owned by Delaware Electric.

Cambridge, MD has two, 180 Kw Blink chargers at the Royal Farms.

Some of the apps did not show all these chargers. The OC chargers were absent from almost all the apps. However, they are listed on the OC website along with three other level 2 chargers (5 total locations). https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/electric-vehicle-charging-stations/

There may also be other locations. Chargers are being added more and more often these days.

Happy Hunting!
Glad I was able to help and glad you found what you were looking for. It can be kind of challenging at times, but there are many chargers out there you just have to find the right apps and find the right people to help you! Nice find on the Ocean City app would’ve never thought of that. That’s part of what makes these forums great! It would be nice if all chargers were listed on just one app!!! Have a fun and safe trip.!!

OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
I went last year to Rehoboth, from Pittsburgh. Luckily for me my VRBO host was OK with me charging. I only did twice. Once so I could take us and the in-laws to Ocean city for a day and once again for the way back home.

The only CCS chargers are 50kw ones at some dealers in the area. Really hoping I have my adapter by September when I go again.

At the time of my trip last year, the EA at the Queenstown outlets wasn't open yet. The blink or evgo not sure which, at that location, is never open, they always have a bolt and a leaf sitting at them all day every day. It wouldn't have mattered for the way down, because we skipped the bay bridge that trip due to a tropical storm hitting on our way down. This year Queenstown EA will likely be a stop.
How does charging at a house work? For example, do you plug the Ford portable charger into the electric dryer's 240 Vac/30 amp receptacle? Where do you get the adapter for that? Home Depot?
Or, do you just trickle charge using the Ford portable charger in a 120 Vac receptacle?

bananaslug79

First Name
Samas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sparky" 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Self employed
I don't know about that. Public charging is the cherry on top for EV owners when traveling; the biggest advantage is being able to charge normally at home, work, etc. It's really not the same as the old "fill a gas tank" to get around.

Having said that, when you are out and about (especially when traveling) and can't find a convenient, working recharge when needed that sucks the big one.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
How does charging at a house work? For example, do you plug the Ford portable charger into the electric dryer's 240 Vac/30 amp receptacle? Where do you get the adapter for that? Home Depot?
Or, do you just trickle charge using the Ford portable charger in a 120 Vac receptacle?
Luckily there was an exterior normal outlet, and the assigned parking space was right out front. I just trickle charged for a couple days before we took the day trip and again before we left.

Rehoboth is extremely walkable and we otherwise didn't move the truck at all. A place like OC MD or Bethany would probably never work on just trickle charging, with all the driving you gotta do to enjoy the places.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
For example, do you plug the Ford portable charger into the electric dryer's 240 Vac/30 amp receptacle? Where do you get the adapter for that?
You really shouldn't/can't use the 30A Ford Mobile on a 30A circuit even if the circuit breaker at the service panel doesn't trip. Max continuous load on a 30A circuit is 24A (80%) for EV charging. You really need a better, adjustable mobile EVSE than Ford's that allows downrating your charge from Ford's fixed 32A to 24A, 16A, or lower. Especially, dealing with an unknown electrical system at someone else's property. A hidden hot spot in the walls could ruin everybody's day, and more.🔥

There are many different NEMA XX-XXP (Plug) to 14-50R (Receptacle that fits the plug on many EVSE) adapters available on Amazon. I recommend dogbone styles like these two for old and new 30A dryer receptacles. Dogbones allow some flex that alleviates stress on the receptacle.

Newer style 30A dryer receptacle (NEMA 14-30):

https://www.amazon.com/EVMaster-Charger-Adapter-Convert-Charging/dp/B0CLGSYB5W/

For old three prong 30A dryer receptacle (NEMA 10-30):

https://www.amazon.com/IRON-FORGE-CABLE-Charger-Adapter/dp/B09QFHG4LH

OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
You really shouldn't/can't use the 30A Ford Mobile on a 30A circuit even if the circuit breaker at the service panel doesn't trip. Max continuous load on a 30A circuit is 24A (80%) for EV charging. You really need a better, adjustable mobile EVSE than Ford's that allows downrating your charge from Ford's fixed 32A to 24A, 16A, or lower. Especially, dealing with an unknown electrical system at someone else's property. A hidden hot spot in the walls could ruin everybody's day, and more.🔥

There are many different NEMA XX-XXP (Plug) to 14-50R (Receptacle that fits the plug on many EVSE) adapters available on Amazon. I recommend dogbone styles like these two for old and new 30A dryer receptacles. Dogbones allow some flex that alleviates stress on the receptacle.

Newer style 30A dryer receptacle (NEMA 14-30):

https://www.amazon.com/EVMaster-Charger-Adapter-Convert-Charging/dp/B0CLGSYB5W/

For old three prong 30A dryer receptacle (NEMA 10-30):

https://www.amazon.com/IRON-FORGE-CABLE-Charger-Adapter/dp/B09QFHG4LH
Thanks Amps!
That is a great primer for charging at these different types of receptacles.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Gas Stations don't 'pool' their locations, either, so having to use different resources to find DC Fast Charging is the same... you must do your own research, via their specific apps, Google maps, sometimes, and even PlugShare and the like...

Your own truck's on-screen CHARGE app, though, and your Ford Pass App, will already help you, even without all of that 'searching', as it can find 'BlueOval' Network chargers, as well as any other options... at least ones in their database.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
You should not use the Ford portable charger in a 30 amp (dryer outlet). I use the SplitVolt charger for traveling - most rental houses have 30 amp dryer outlets- Outer banks houses usually have the dryer on the ground level. So with a 50 foot 10 awg extension cord and my Splitvolt 24Amp charger I can get a full charge overnight. I usually check the cord temperature after five minutes to be sure that the dryer outlet is OK.

OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
You should not use the Ford portable charger in a 30 amp (dryer outlet). I use the SplitVolt charger for traveling - most rental houses have 30 amp dryer outlets- Outer banks houses usually have the dryer on the ground level. So with a 50 foot 10 awg extension cord and my Splitvolt 24Amp charger I can get a full charge overnight. I usually check the cord temperature after five minutes to be sure that the dryer outlet is OK.
Very helpful, thx Roger!

Sponsored

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Do not rely on the OC “fast” chargers or otherwise. In 2 years of driving down there, I’ve never been able to successfully charge there - most due to the machines being down. To be perfectly honest, without an adapter, it is very difficult. The new EA at the outlets are up and running and the Magic Dock Tesla adapters work in Easton of course. But that leaves you well stranded once you get to the beaches.

OC convention center I believe has relatively slow L2 chargers in a row by the road. You can just leave your truck all day and charge there if the spot is open (and pay for parking…I think).

Also, there is a hotel that has a number of Tesla destination chargers if you have the L2 Tesla adapter. You can pay to park and charge as well. Can’t remember which one that is but it is noted on PlugShare.

Otherwise, the Tesla superchargers with a compatible adapter are game changers down there.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I think the Royal Farms along the way down Rt1 and Rt113 have finally been turned back on as of last fall, but not sure that helps you out on the direction you'd be traveling from. I used an EVGo at Upper Marlboro two weeks ago when coming home from North Beach MD, but if you're taking 50 over then it could be tricky.

sandwichpiccolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
I'll be traveling to the Delaware Beach resorts this summer from the Washington DC area without the Tesla adapter and can't seem to find more than two fast charging stations on the Delmarva Peninsula. This route and destinations are hugely popular almost year-round now, so I was more than a little surprised at how few fast charging stations are there.

Am I searching wrong or is it the charging desert it appears to be? Anyone have any recommendations or know of any good charging locations?
I have the Standard Range battery and have made only one short trip so far so I am a bit concerned. I'm a senior citizen and would rather not have to push the truck too far.
Traveling without a Tesla adapter can be a bit tricky, especially in areas with fewer charging options. Unfortunately, the Delmarva Peninsula is a bit of a charging desert.

I’d recommend planning your trip with a tool like PlugShare or ChargePoint to find all possible charging locations along your route. Some hotels and resorts might have slower chargers, so maybe give them a call to check.

Also, consider taking some breaks to charge at the stations you do find to ensure you have enough juice.
Sponsored