• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging stop button on truck exposed to everyone while charging.

Viewpapa

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning
Occupation
Retired
While charging my truck, I got a message on my phone that the vehicle had stopped the charge. I was a short distance away having coffee so I returned to the charger, restarted and went to finish my coffee. I looked back and saw kids running away and the got the same message. Not sure why this button is so readily available when charging, but is there any workaround?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Viewpapa

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning
Occupation
Retired
I guess I didn't state the issue clearly. Kids were pushing this button, stopping the charging process when I was trying to charge my truck. I don't want to have to sit at my truck while it's charging, but anyone walking by can stop the charge by pushing the button, which is exactly what these kids were doing.
Thanks for the response. I guess there's not much can be done other than staying by the vehicle.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Working as designed. They can also stop it on the EVSE screen.

OP
OP

Viewpapa

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning
Occupation
Retired
Apparently vigilance is the only option, thanks.

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
This is a form of range anxiety. Also one of the biggest reasons people will not buy ev.
While charging you become a target. Instead of kids laughing in the shrubs, think of adults with their not so cute ideas.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Kids will be Kids, watch your truck if this a recurring stop.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I guess I didn't state the issue clearly. Kids were pushing this button, stopping the charging process when I was trying to charge my truck. I don't want to have to sit at my truck while it's charging, but anyone walking by can stop the charge by pushing the button, which is exactly what these kids were doing.
Thanks for the response. I guess there's not much can be done other than staying by the vehicle.
Working as designed. They can also stop it on the EVSE screen.
Apparently vigilance is the only option, thanks.
I had somebody ask me about this on my YouTube video review because he was worried about vandals unplugging cars without consent and returning to an uncharged vehicle.

My answer is that the App gives you an alert so you can plug it back in, and now that I think about it, that's probably best that they don't change anything.

For the same reason that shutoff buttons are not locked on escalators, elevators and gas station pumps, we should not have locks on chargers that are running. If there's some sort of emergency, such as smoke coming from a vehicle or charging station, it's safer to let anyone stop the charge before it causes a bigger problem.

Our primary protection is the notifications on our Apps to let us know the charge was interrupted, and perhaps some sort of Sentry Mode where it can save videos from the cameras while parked.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Gotta hide that button somehow...

Somebody could invent a lock that will prevent handle removal, like a gas cap lock, but then there is the screen shut off, so software modification would be needed as well...of course in case of emergency those could be a problem for say the fire dept.

Someone could also come along an unplug the cable as well.
Tesla has a method of locking the cable to the car, but that won't help with a stop button and only works with Tesla charging stations.

https://www.greencarfuture.com/electric/ev-charging-stop-others-unplugging-you

People/kids/vandals will walk off with adapters/EV cables as well. Thieves will even take them for the copper in the cables!

Perhaps a sign that says "DANGER: HIGH VOLTAGE - DO NOT TOUCH - DANGER OF ELECTROCUTION" or some such warning would deter some tomfoolery by kids?

A Dash Cam and/or warning could also help. Motion detection alarm?

This was an issue with the Leaf back when they first arrived and there were a lot of posts about it with proposed solutions.

A link to an article with suggestions to deter EV cable theft.
https://wepoweryourcar.com/how-do-i-protect-my-ev-charging-cable-from-theft/

Somebody always ruins things for the rest of us, eh?

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
As CHRIS mentioned, with a Tesla, the AC home charger and the Tesla DC Supercharger can only be unplugged if the car is unlocked. I own both a Lightning and a Lightning. I am looking forward to being able to use the Superchargers with the Lightning.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
he AC home charger and the Tesla DC Supercharger can only be unplugged if the car is unlocked.
Removing the plug isn't the problem, stopping a fast charge is. I thought a Supercharger would stop charging if the button on the NACS handle is pushed (same as pressing the locking latch on a CCS1 connector)?

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
This is a form of range anxiety. Also one of the biggest reasons people will not buy ev.
While charging you become a target. Instead of kids laughing in the shrubs, think of adults with their not so cute ideas.
I hate the term range anxiety. It’s dismissing people and telling them their problem is in their head

This is something that actually happened to the OP. Not something he's just idly worried about.

And the people who ask what happens if they don't have enough charge to get there don't have a dismissable non-concern ("anxiety"). Lack of destination charging really does mean that range has a significant impact on the amount of time you get to spend doing the thing you want to do vs. figuring out how to leave your car somewhere with a plug for an extended time.

You might not like that these situations are reality. But they are. So don't disrespect the people who have these ideas or experiences. Even if it means that reality is EVs aren't right for some people yet, and maybe won't be in the foreseeable future. They very much aren't. That's just how it is.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I hate the term range anxiety. It’s dismissing people and telling them their problem is in their head

This is something that actually happened to the OP. Not something he's just idly worried about.

And the people who ask what happens if they don't have enough charge to get there don't have a dismissable non-concern ("anxiety"). Lack of destination charging really does mean that range has a significant impact on the amount of time you get to spend doing the thing you want to do vs. figuring out how to leave your car somewhere with a plug for an extended time.

You might not like that these situations are reality. But they are. So don't disrespect the people who have these ideas or experiences. Even if it means that reality is EVs aren't right for some people yet, and maybe won't be in the foreseeable future. They very much aren't. That's just how it is.
I disrespected no one. Sorry you don't like the term range anxiety, it is very widely used on these forums. Most seem to think it is just how far the ev will go between charges.
Sitting and charging an ev is only a reality to those who own or drive an ev.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I disrespected no one.
I disagree. It's the combination of the standard implication that a mental health disorder is just "in your head" combined with the implication that OP had such an issue. It's carefully crafted and spun dismissive language that happens to be pretty offensive if you drill down a little.

it is very widely used on these forums.
Yes, I agree. But multiple wrongs don't make a right. And if you were the only person doing it I'd just ignore it and move on. It's the fact that it's a widely spread problematic position that makes it worth addressing.

Anyway, I've now said literally all I have to say about the matter.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Part of the problem is that people still think of EVs as a novelty instead of treating them as they would any other vehicle. Every gas station has a button that will shut down all of the pumps. If a group of kids were to push that button as a prank there would probably be 10 cop cars there within 5 minutes and dogs searching the woods around the station. If you call the police and tell them a kid shut down a charger there’s almost no chance they’ll send an officer to the site. Same with parking. If you park your EV at a gas pump and walk across the street and have dinner at a restaurant I’ll guarantee it will be towed away but people do that to chargers every day.
Sponsored