Class Action Lawsuit - Home Integration System

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Too many cooks in the kitchen. The engineering teams got it working but there's no single overarching owner to the process. Of course the engineers got it work on Version 12.2 but Sunrun updated their hardware and firmware and Ford moved to Olympus Version 6.8 that no longer supports widget level macros and changed the IR Protocol to the newest AEII 11.2 standard etc etc etc ... too many moving parts and no owner

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
Too many cooks in the kitchen. The engineering teams got it working but there's no single overarching owner to the process. Of course the engineers got it work on Version 12.2 but Sunrun updated their hardware and firmware and Ford moved to Olympus Version 6.8 that no longer supports widget level macros and changed the IR Protocol to the newest AEII 11.2 standard etc etc etc ... too many moving parts and no owner
I think this sums up the issue well. I have avoided the home integration system and will continue to do so until another solution arrives. CA is already getting ready to mandate EVs are bidirectional so it seems inevitable that other hardware solutions have to be on the horizon. But it’s anyone’s guess if Ford will make these work with the current gen Lightning. I really hope they do.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I think this sums up the issue well. I have avoided the home integration system and will continue to do so until another solution arrives. CA is already getting ready to mandate EVs are bidirectional so it seems inevitable that other hardware solutions have to be on the horizon. But it’s anyone’s guess if Ford will make these work with the current gen Lightning. I really hope they do.
I'm hoping Massachusetts follow suit and guessing they will soon. Luckily, I'd assume (danger!) that "a battery is a battery" so it won't be up to Ford to decide if the Lighning will work with a V2G integration.

Sponsored

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum, Ford F250, Rivian R1S
My Lightning is supposed to go in tomorrow for service and receive some updates per the service tech, including the gateway module which @Jim Lewis mentioned being part of the HIS fix. I asked them to perform the TSB related to the HIS but I do not know if they will (I'll ask them again tomorrow). If you pull up my thread on this TSB, I explained how the system was acting in my most recent test and have not tried any tests since.

In my 2 years with the truck, and 1.5 with the HIS, my experience has been unsatisfactory, while it physically can work, it never has as advertised. I have never had an actual automatic transfer during a real outage. I've had to manually fiddle with the truck or the FCSP in some way to get it to transfer during outage, and one time i was unable to get it to transfer at all. This has caused me to not trust the system and test it monthly by shutting the main breaker to the house. A few times it has worked during testing, but usually something is hung up with the FCSP and it needs to be rebooted in order to function as required for the transfer. This is disappointing since it does not help with my intended use of reliable power for my wife and kids at home when I am at work during storms.

This and the frunk were the main reasons I considered the Lightning, having never been a pickup truck driver in the past i figured this would fit the bill and could replace a propane generator at home. Those systems are fool proof so i figured they'd be able to make this at least WORK. But here we are, and things are getting worse not better.

Another thing we were promised that has not come to be is app based control and monitoring. They actually removed the function from the app, and i have yet to see any ability to enable or disable the backup power function as advertised in the promotional materials.

I've had a good amount of correspondence with Ford and Sunrun since the system was installed. I've had to replace the FCSP once due to the network/Bluetooth module dying. The new unit still requires frequent reboots to keep online (a complex task with the HIS dark start battery), I've had Sunrun out multiple times, I have multiple e-mail threads with Ford BEV support and Sunrun, and have gotten the same "an update is coming someday soon" messaging.

With my most recent issue, calling into Ford BEV and explaining the problem, the CSR hung up on me and when I called back immediately, it went right to voicemail like they just punched out. If this week doesn't turn things around i'll be a willing participant and hopefully can provide some useful documentation to the lack of engineering assistance we have gotten as customers.

I can't be the only one that has gone thru all this, there must be others on here with similar stories. Maybe airing them out will get us some results from Ford.
You know the most amazing thing is that Ford monitors our forum. And if you posted how good your truck tows, or how you did an amazing camping trip they would responds within minutes to the post. But if you have a problem with the HIS system you get crickets.

And yet they still advertise powering your home with HIS. They still advertise truck to grid, and all we get is crickets.

Last edited by a moderator:

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
The Ford Home Integration System for the Ford Lightning has been oversold as a game-changing feature, but in reality, it’s more of a novelty than a necessity for most owners. While the idea of using the truck as a backup power source for your home is intriguing, the actual practical use of it falls short. For most people, the system is more about the “cool factor” than true utility. Between the high installation costs and the fact that home battery backups or generators offer more reliable and cost-effective solutions, it’s clear that this setup is not something the average Lightning owner will ever truly need or get their money’s worth from. But, kudos to those who actually have a lot of use for it and made the effort to get and keep it working.
Forums have been buzzing with negative feedback, as many users have found that the complexity and expense of the system far outweigh its benefits. Enjoy your Lightning for the powerful and versatile vehicle it is, but avoid turning it into a headache by investing in this overpriced home integration feature. It’s simply not worth the hassle for most owners, especially when other energy backup options are more accessible and affordable.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I never installed the HIS, first due to cost but then later watching this dumpster fire burn and all the complaints. My FCSP still sits in its unopened original box and I almost sold it a couple times. But then didn’t because it would be really nice if I had the backup power. We’ve had more power outages this past year than we’ve had the entire previous 17 years combined, since living here, so would be nice…

I hope you guys find a resolution and Ford gets this figured out, even if it does take legal action to do it.

OP
OP

nulafed

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford lightning platinum
It’s not, at this point about if there will be legal action, it’s about who wants to join and how many are having issues and want to join. I’m 100% of litigation simply out of principle at this point. I have 5-6 law firm here in D.C. wanting to jump on this ASAP, but I’m filtering it down to the best viable and capable firm. I appreciate the thoughts of others without the system, but the focus here is for those with the system that do not work or do not work as advertised.
For the comment about the guy that got his truck bought by Ford, I’d love more information and their contact info as that’s interesting to me.

Thanks All!
Sponsored