Condition Battery While Traveling - Does it Matter

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
The truck navigation will show Superchargers with built-in CCS adapters that are open to all EVs. No NACS adapter required, which is why they show up in the CCS filter in PlugShare.

Google “magic dock” to learn more. They’ve been around for a couple years.
No, this one in my picture is a "NACS - capable" regular Tesla Supercharger.

There are no Magic Dock Superchargers in my area.
Sponsored

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT
Yes that Two Harbors location is in a hardware store parking lot. If you ever do use that one then take a short hike north on the bike path until you just get to the tree line there. You will find a combo bike/coffee shop that might be worth a try. Full disclosure - I have not ever stopped in there myself.

Spokengear Bike Shop

Cedar Coffee Co
Thank you so much for that!!! I might check that out next week!

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I know how to precondition on a Tesla but not on my Lightning. How do you precondition on a Lightning?

Hi all! I'm about to take my first road trip in my Lightning XLT ER. I've read a lot about battery conditioning, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I know that in hot temperatures, conditioning the battery (by selecting the charging station in the Ford Nav) will engage cooling to get the battery to 90°F for more efficient charging. Is the opposite true? Ambient temperature during my travels will be 50-75°. When I navigate to a charging station, does the battery get warmed, or in cooler temperatures does it matter?

And secondly, in cooler temperatures does it even matter? Will I see significantly time gains in charging by navigating to the charging station with the Ford navigation, or can I ignore that and just keep navigating with ABRP?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I know how to precondition on a Tesla but not on my Lightning. How do you precondition on a Lightning?
Since we do not have a direct button, these are the official indirect methods:

Prior to starting your trip, have the truck plugged into a EVSE, preferably L2 30+ amps
Set a departure time at or about 10 minutes prior to your actual leave time.
The truck will prepare the battery by optimizing it's temp, typically it's warming the battery in cold/freezing conditions, the truck will decide when the battery warming phase will start often it's 30-60 minutes prior to leave time, then five minutes prior to programmed departure time the cabin conditioning will begin to warm the cabin & seats.

While driving enroute to a DCFC stations that was chosen as a destination in Ford Navigation, the truck will begin warming / cooling the battery ~20 min/miles from the station depending on the seasonal conditions.

Unofficial observations, by a few members suggest that setting the truck in tow/haul mode will cause the battery cooling process to become more aggressive, there has been no observations about winter/heating.
Sponsored