• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CSP 24B14: LVB falls below 9 volts failed Charge Port actuator pin (DCFC)

l!ghtning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Flash
I've had a 24 Flash ER for a little over three months, 2,200 miles, and it's happened to me four different times already.

Try to start the truck but no power from LVB. HVB is always just under 80%. First time it was middle of the week, next two times Sunday morning and last time Saturday night. Last three times were a week apart. Every time it happens, I have to jump start the battery, then it runs fine.

What sucks, obviously with no LVB, is manually opening the door with physical metal key, manually opening frunk by pulling the cables, taking off battery terminal plastic cover, jump starting, then replacing the cover. I've snapped a fastner or two off the terminal cover already.

Not sure what is happening on weekends, I'm confident no lights are left on and it's plugged in charging overnight. I received notice of being affected by CSP 24B14, where if LVB falls below 9 volts, charge port actuator may not fully extend actuator pin, preventing DC charging.

Finally took it in yesterday for the CSP and to report the issue with the LVB, hope to get it back quick and to share the diagnostic and proposed solution. In the mean time dealer let me use a 24 Mach-E Mustang. Not large enough for my day to day work, but this will be a light week and hoping I get the Flash back soon. Not sure if it matters but some options I have that may affect LVB discharge (?) is Max Tow Package.

Have to say I am jealous of the Mach-E being able to close windows from Ford Pass app, seems like something simple to do for Lightnings?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: GDN

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I copied this post from another thread to document CSP 24B14 experiences from other MY24 owners.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP 24B14: LVB falls below 9 volts failed Charge Port actuator pin (DCFC) 1722431113591-ju

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If someone has access to the 24B14 writeup, it would be helpful to post it here.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I've had a 24 Flash ER for a little over three months, 2,200 miles, and it's happened to me four different times already.

Try to start the truck but no power from LVB. HVB is always just under 80%. First time it was middle of the week, next two times Sunday morning and last time Saturday night. Last three times were a week apart. Every time it happens, I have to jump start the battery, then it runs fine.

What sucks, obviously with no LVB, is manually opening the door with physical metal key, manually opening frunk by pulling the cables, taking off battery terminal plastic cover, jump starting, then replacing the cover. I've snapped a fastner or two off the terminal cover already.

Not sure what is happening on weekends, I'm confident no lights are left on and it's plugged in charging overnight. I received notice of being affected by CSP 24B14, where if LVB falls below 9 volts, charge port actuator may not fully extend actuator pin, preventing DC charging.

Finally took it in yesterday for the CSP and to report the issue with the LVB, hope to get it back quick and to share the diagnostic and proposed solution. In the mean time dealer let me use a 24 Mach-E Mustang. Not large enough for my day to day work, but this will be a light week and hoping I get the Flash back soon. Not sure if it matters but some options I have that may affect LVB discharge (?) is Max Tow Package.

Have to say I am jealous of the Mach-E being able to close windows from Ford Pass app, seems like something simple to do for Lightnings?
Wow...so even the Flash is having LV battery issues!?

So many posts about LV battery issues it is crazy they haven't fixed the issues by now in new vehicles.

Some of the posts do one of several things:
1) turn the truck on periodically so the DC-DC operates to charge the LVB with the HVB (including in accessory mode while plugged into the FCSP).
2) put the LVB on a battery maintainer suitable for AGM batteries using the jumper terminals under the passenger side cover inside the Frunk.
3) drive the vehicle or have it on at least a couple hours a day.
4) have the battery replaced under warranty.

My issue has been that the OTA software updates will not install if the LVB is below 85% or so.

The damnest thing is the BMS for the LVB has the option of topping off the LVB before updating, but it seems Ford is sending out the OTA updates WITHOUT that instruction, so I haven't been getting updates - this is a common problem it seems.

I am getting close to step 4 above - replacing the battery.

A real PITA.

OP
OP

l!ghtning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Flash
Here's another interesting data point regarding the LVB. My family drives the truck regularly at least 30 min a day, often more. Really odd that the LVB would be dying. Will have to ask to replace it. Still no word from dealer.

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Is it possible to charge the LVB by connecting directly to the + Positive post and, since we are not to connect directly to the - Negative post & Battery Monitoring Sensor BMS, to instead connect to a frame ground point nearby the LVBattery?
Should keep one of those Lithium portable jumpers in the truck?
And why is the solution of CSP 24B14 to replace the Charging Port Actuator if it is just a low voltage problem?
And like @chl says why does not the 24 Flash have a good BMS on the battery to keep it from going low voltage?
@TaxmanHog @Pioneer74

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
And why is the solution of CSP 24B14 to replace the Charging Port Actuator if it is just a low voltage problem?
And like @chl says why does not the 24 Flash have a good BMS on the battery to keep it from going low voltage?
My hip shot guess would be that an isolated & limited lot of defective parts got assembled into the charge port assembly of some trucks.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP 24B14: LVB falls below 9 volts failed Charge Port actuator pin (DCFC) 1722820138676-5j

Supply of the proper LVB BMS might not have been available for some / many MY24 production at the time the solution was identified.

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is it possible to charge the LVB by connecting directly to the + Positive post and, since we are not to connect directly to the - Negative post & Battery Monitoring Sensor BMS, to instead connect to a frame ground point nearby the LVBattery?
Should keep one of those Lithium portable jumpers in the truck?
@TaxmanHog @Pioneer74
Yes, why indeed.

The way to jump the Lightning, from what people have posted, is to connect to the jump posts under the Frunk on the passenger side under some trim removable with plastic turn lock pins.
See page 424+ of the manual about jump starting and page 351 about removing the cover:

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP 24B14: LVB falls below 9 volts failed Charge Port actuator pin (DCFC) removing passenger side cover

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP 24B14: LVB falls below 9 volts failed Charge Port actuator pin (DCFC) jump start page 425

Be sure the trickle charger maintainer is suitable for AGM batteries - they don't like a large current so they tell me.

I tried using one but it was taking a very long time.

What worked for me was a process I read about in an older post on this forum:
1) plug the vehicle into your Ford Charge Station Pro
2) turn the vehicle on with brake pedal pushed (drive ready mode)
3) turn off the lights, and the Pro Power On-board (menu) and un-plug any after market things (cell phone USB etc)
4) set vehicle to charge to 90% beginning whenever is convenient - I selected 1am when my kWh prices are lower
5) lock truck and wait a few hours

After about 10 hours (10pm to 8am) my truck LVB had charged to over 90% - I did this so I could install an update that hadn't installed due to the LVB being too low (around 50% to 60%).

Good luck!

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably Ford should change to topping off the LVB whenever it falls below 90% while the vehicle is OFF using the DC-DC circuitry and the energy in the HVB. We are talking about a 12V battery with about 420watt-hours

The vehicle has 35 Amp-hour AGM 12V Battery, 35Ah x 12V = 420Watt-hrs

The HVB holds up to 98kWh (SR) or 131kWh(ER) so 0.420kWh is a small drop of energy from the bucket.

The set up for the LVB is when at 40%, charge with 300Wh after 48 hours, when at 30% charge immediately using the DC-DC circuitry if the vehicle is OFF. Driving it for an hour in my case did not add a significant charge to the LVB - probably the battery cooling, lights, etc. ate up a lot of the potential juice.

But letting an AGM battery go below 50% will significantly shorten it's life span, @Ford Motor Company .
Sponsored