• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed to charge on scheduled preferred times

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
In the past, deleting your charge location and setting it back up has corrected issues with charge scheduling. I've done this once or twice in the past 11 months of ownership. Usually more of a problem after certain OTA updates but it might reset whatever bug you've encountered as well.
Sponsored

Lightning_GA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Automotive Eng
I have had a similar problem occur 2 times. Have used the scheduled charging and departure times exclusively for the last 1 year. I spoke to Ford and they were aware of the problem and said it would be corrected in a future software update.

What I found was that the missed charging would occur after a recent software update on the truck. If you delete your location and scheduled charge times after the problem occurs and re-create the new location and charge times it solves the problem completely. A little bit of a hassle as you have to charge 1 time and leave before you can create the location and name it in the software but it has not happened again during the latest software updates on my truck to 6.5.

Good luck as the preffered charge and departure times are quite useful especially in the winter.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Scheduled charging has always worked well for me. But a slightly different problem cropped up for me. My FCSP is on a dedicated 100-amp line hardware set to deliver 80 amps. In FordPass, I've set it to deliver 48 amps (~10 kW). In December, after 6.4, 6.5, and 6.8, the FCSP started delivering 5 kW, and I can no longer specify and save a new amp delivery rate in FordPass (it's still "set" at 48 amps). Ford Customer Assistance speculated that one of the above Power Up updates wasn't completed successfully, and I will need to take my truck to a dealer...

Updates screwing a vehicle and Ford not being able to issue OTA fixes, requiring you to go to the dealer to get straightened out, is the pits. I made a request yesterday with my dealer for Mobile Service via phone message and web form and haven't heard back yet.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I have found that updates (both minor and major) can sometimes cause glitches in the charge profiles.
  • In one case, I had to delete my profiles completely and add new ones similar to @Zprime29 (early last year)
  • Recent updates (6.8) seem to have caused my EVSE (Grizzl-e Duo) to go into error mode multiple times due to an over-current situation and subsequently fail the update. I think the update caused the charger modules to ask for more than the EVSE can provide. This has happened about a dozen times through December. 6.8 has still not been installed in my truck successfully yet. It appears Ford has delayed this update for my batch probably due to errors like above.
  • Several times, I've had to unplug/replug the cable on the truck due to an error indicated in the charge banner in FordPass.
For the most part, charging works well, and no issues. I have learned recently (since the attempts to update to 6.8) to check regularly when charging time starts to verify it is charging successfully.
I hope problems like this will be less frequent going forward.
Growing Pains.

Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Did you check the clock in the truck?
My truck started to lose time (wildly) by about 4 to 7 hours….randomly (Although it seemed to happen mostly when I remote started). That was wreaking havoc with the charging. Had to reset the clock a dozen times or so. One time I accidentally was off by 12 hours (AM/PM flip) and didn’t catch it for a while. I was so puzzled why it wasn’t charging. The quick glance at the clock in the truck seemed fine. For a week I was denied charging on preferred times. Then I finally caught the AM/PM error and everything has been fine since.
As a side note, I find it interesting that the displayed time is the actual clock that the truck uses to effect the charging. I figured there would be a hidden clock in UTC (Universal Time) somewhere in the hardware/software.
Hope this helps (someone).

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you check the clock in the truck?
My truck started to lose time (wildly) by about 4 to 7 hours….randomly (Although it seemed to happen mostly when I remote started). That was wreaking havoc with the charging. Had to reset the clock a dozen times or so. One time I accidentally was off by 12 hours (AM/PM flip) and didn’t catch it for a while. I was so puzzled why it wasn’t charging. The quick glance at the clock in the truck seemed fine. For a week I was denied charging on preferred times. Then I finally caught the AM/PM error and everything has been fine since.
As a side note, I find it interesting that the displayed time is the actual clock that the truck uses to effect the charging. I figured there would be a hidden clock in UTC (Universal Time) somewhere in the hardware/software.
Hope this helps (someone).
Your automatic time update setting probably got turned off by an update. I’ve had that happen.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Your automatic time update setting probably got turned off by an update. I’ve had that happen.
Yep. First thing I thought to check. Automatic time update was ON. However, I was getting inaccurate display. The minutes were always right, it was the hour that was off. Like the truck thought I was in Vegas or Hawaii or Timbucktwo (that’s in Canada, right?). Wierd!

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
As others have written, charging begins at the start of your schedule window, not some time later.

If it did attempt to start at the time that would have it get to the target by the end of your window, you would be up you-know-what creek if something changed during the window. For instance, what if you used the "charge to 100%" button in the app when there was not enough time to get there? Also, if you have a smart EVSE and you dialled it to a lower level, the same result would occur. Not saying either of these are likely in the middle of the night, but having software that assumes things about the future is not very prudent.

What might be more likely is a short power outage in the middle of the night. At least with charging beginning at the start of the window, you stand a better chance of getting to your target than if it waited until it thought it had just enough time.

The one thing the Lightning will do that deviates from the schedule is that it may start early if it figures it won't reach the target within the window. I don't like this because our weekday window is midnight to 6 am to take advantage of our ultra-low overnight rate of 2.5 cents per kW. Since the rate starts at 11 pm, our EVSE is programmed with a schedule that blocks it's use until 11 pm in case the truck tries to charge early.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Good luck as the preffered charge and departure times are quite useful especially in the winter.
They certainly are, but I've been without both on my Focus Electric since March 2022 when it's modem was upgraded to 4G and there was a bug in the TCU software that killed these features. The bug was fixed in November 2022 but an OTA update wasn't pushed to my vehicle and the dealership wanted to charge me to do it. I would pay to get it back, but only if they could guarantee they would do the right thing (they first insisted I was up to date because Sync was - having to explain the difference between Sync and the TCU doesn't inspire confidence).

Why should this matter to Lightning (or MME) owners? It may not, but at some point the 4G modem in these vehicles will need upgrading to 5G. Can we be certain Ford won't repeat this?

Sponsored

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
I deleted my home charging location and now I can't add it back even after two charging sessions at home - now, no :(departure times or even location.
It seems -talking to the people via phone on the Ford Pass line- that they really do not have a handle on trouble shooting the app. And, although the tech that came via mobile service was very nice, he did not have a clue either!:cool:
Very disappointed :cautious:in the connectivity between the Lightning and the Ford pass app.
The truck is quite nice,:) but the connectivity is Krap!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I deleted my home charging location and now I can't add it back even after two charging sessions at home - now, no :(departure times or even location.
It seems -talking to the people via phone on the Ford Pass line- that they really do not have a handle on trouble shooting the app. And, although the tech that came via mobile service was very nice, he did not have a clue either!:cool:
Very disappointed :cautious:in the connectivity between the Lightning and the Ford pass app.
The truck is quite nice,:) but the connectivity is Krap!
Set it up in the truck, not the app.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Set it up in the truck, not the app.
No way to set up in truck without saved charging location - unable to save a location.

Hello FORD
Sponsored

Last edited: