• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DCFC Hacking

rockhead

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Flash
Occupation
Geek
Think about a card skimmer dude... Not hard to put a shim on there without you noticing
This is not a skimmer operation you would have to build an adapter that goes 'in the middle' of the high voltage high current connection
Sponsored

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
this very thing, and some similar by-products, came to mind the other day during the 'Crowdstrike/Microsoft' unfortunate 'update issue'...

A) we plug our vehicles into a machine, run by software, which knows our vehicle, and our billing, etc., and we 'wonder' if things can go wrong... uh oh.

B) we plug our vehicles into a charger machine, which requires lots of 'power' to power our vehicles, all the while never contemplating what will happen when that unit, or the area, or the whole REGION loses power, and for hours, or worse, DAYS... just as we arrive with almost no power to get anywhere else.
(This actually happened several months ago coming down to Florida... a storm had just knocked out power over the LakeCity area of I75 in North Florida, right where I was planning to 'stop' to charge, along the way. I had to do some creative searching and re-planning to make it work, stopping much shorter than planned, and hoping to get 'thru' the power outage area with enough to make to the next charger... that certainly causes some Charge Anxiety.)

C) we connect SO MUCH of our LIVES to software, apps, computers, and social media... you get the idea.

As far as "B" - how old are you? I remember (as a young child) during the summer of 1972 (maybe '73?) waiting in a line of cars stat stretched around the block, waiting to get a 5-gallon "ration" of fuel, only to discover the station ran empty before it was our turn. The papers reported fistfights would break out as people tried to jump the line (thankfully this was long before everyone was armed!)

ANY type of energy / fuel can be limited / interdicted / embargo'd.

Yes, we are more fossil-fuel self-sufficient now then we were back then, but only 5-6 years ago the price of gas went through the roof because a few refineries got knocked off-line in the Houston area. Just a few more and we would be back to the 70s....

rockhead

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Flash
Occupation
Geek
The article is about PLC Power Line Communications, unless you are taking the truck apart to get to the low voltage side or the charge station guts after the data has been removed from the power line, either way you are then not a mitm

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
This is not a skimmer operation you would have to build an adapter that goes 'in the middle' of the high voltage high current connection
Yes, I understand. I was merely drawing a comparison of the use of a skimmer being a "mitm".

rockhead

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Flash
Occupation
Geek
good luck with your installation

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I guess if no one had a generator this might be true.

Also, if the grid is down you can truck in gas. You can’t truck in electricity.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
You’re missing the point. One generator at a gas station can fuel hundreds of vehicles. The fuel trucked in can keep this up for weeks.

If the grid is down and we all have electric vehicles, we are screwed in a few days.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I have been through multiple hurricanes with the grid down. We are able to get gas because it is trucked in and the gas station has a rented generator running it. That is reality. Not sure what you are basing your experience on.

The common scenario is that the electrical crews get some power back in a few days. Then there are gas stations with grid power, and people can get gas. In that situation we are far better off being able to drive a few miles and fill up in 5 minutes. Not so simple if you are all electric. Imagine the line of EV’s waiting to plug into the only working station.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My nearby fuel station that I used to visit weekly to refuel my Powerstroke, but now only monthly for my wife's ICE car. Ground up construction about 5 years ago included a permanent emergency power plant to power full operation of the station.

Ford F-150 Lightning DCFC Hacking 1722094746262-gi