• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Degenerated into Tesla fight club

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
We know it'll happen, and adapters will be made available. I'd be extremely leery of buying early products from third parties. They may work, but I doubt they'll have the quality and reliability of later options from Ford and others.

I was driven out of an EV6 that I really enjoyed because of how badly CCS chargers were. I'm back because of that NACS agreement, and adapters can't come soon enough. But I'm not gonna waste my time on adapters that aren't certified to work by both companies.

I also think much of the Tesla hate is misplaced. They have their issues, but my Lightning is near-braindead compared to the Model Y that I traded for it. That car and my 2019 Model 3 were rock-solid for over 70,000 miles between the two. You may not like their cars, but they have that market segment dialed in.

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, best to wait for the official Tesla one.
So now you think Tesla is your friend?! Having a common charging standard is good but I don’t believe Tesla has mine or your best interest at heart. It might end up being that the Tesla adapter is the one prone to failure or poor performance while these aftermarket companies have the best product.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
So now you think Tesla is your friend?! Having a common charging standard is good but I don’t believe Tesla has mine or your best interest at heart. It might end up being that the Tesla adapter is the one prone to failure or poor performance while these aftermarket companies have the best product.
Yeah Tesla isn't going to put their name on a garbage adapter not to mention they can and probably will restrict any use of third party adapters on their charging equipment. All of the major manufacturers paid to be part of this agreement "$" Tesla will sell adaptors "$" and everyone using their chargers "$"

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Anything is possible, but Tesla has a long history of providing some of the highest quality charging equipment on the market.

Don’t take my word for it, check out State of Charge on YouTube, Inside EVs, or any EVSE reviewer you trust. I’ve been using their hardware since 2019 and I’ve never been disappointed, but I can’t say the same about others I’ve tried.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
People complain about Tesla's fit and finish, but I've never seen anyone complain about their engineering. We are all aware that Tesla plans on making a lot of $$$ off us. That revenue is going to be from us using their charge network. So it is in their best interest to provide the best possible adaptor.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I’ve never understood the Tesla hate. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but they’ve done more to make EVs affordable and exciting than anyone else. I say this as a guy who lost a crap-ton of money on my Model Y after the price cuts.

Both my Teslas rode like crap and had mediocre fit and finish, but they were rock-solid underneath and never gave me any issues. Their software is a generation ahead of Ford, and their charging hardware is the best in the business.

I like my Lightning a lot better than my Model Y, but it was an outstanding car for what it was built for. I’m happy to be back in a Ford, but the competition from Tesla made our trucks what they are today.

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve never understood the Tesla hate.
I can sum it up in one phrase, “predatory business practices”. Here are some examples;

Instead of working other manufacturers over a decade ago, Tesla decided to develop their own charging standard that slowed EV adoption and hurt both Tesla and non-Tesla EV owners.

Tesla refused to let independent shops and owners work on Tesla causing harm to both independent shop owners and Tesla owners.

Tesla refused to support independent dealerships causing harm to independent dealers.

Tesla refused to allow unions into the factories causing harm to employees and unions.

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I can sum it up in one phrase, “predatory business practices”. Here are some examples;

Instead of working other manufacturers over a decade ago, Tesla decided to develop their own charging standard that slowed EV adoption and hurt both Tesla and non-Tesla EV owners.

Tesla refused to let independent shops and owners work on Tesla causing harm to both independent shop owners and Tesla owners.

Tesla refused to support independent dealerships causing harm to independent dealers.

Tesla refused to allow unions into the factories causing harm to employees and unions.
So yes, Tesla is just like Apple. As much as I don't like Apple products I must admit that they simply work. Simple solution, don't buy a Tesla.

Now back on topic, does anyone have insight into if @Ford Motor Company will supply the adapter for free to existing owners? My guess is that it wouldn't end up costing Ford very much per unit and would be a great customer service move.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

You really have to be kidding with these reasons right? Refusing to do things old school and with government protected entities is brilliant and has paid off well for Elon.

Over a decade ago every other EV manufacture (There were no serious ones then) could have adapted Tesla's standards. Their patents have been open for most for years. He built his own charging network because no one else wanted to do it. Why wait on the govt to do it - they need to stay out of it. Elon will laugh all the way to the bank and I'm happy to pay him my share to do so vs a crooked politician.

Tesla has caused no harm to any independent shop owner. That shop owner exists because he chooses to work on GM or Ford or other brands. His shop has no clue how many millions of other cars or big trucks or tractors or side by sides are driving by that he doesn't work on, why isn't he working on those? Are you saying that someone built a 3rd party Tesla repair dealership and then went out of business because they couldn't get parts? Nope - didn't happen.

Again - Tesla caused no harm to an independent dealerships, because dealerships aren't independent. There are books full of regulations and laws that govern those models. The dealerships pay a lot of money to the brand they carry for the privilege of screwing you as a customer. Simply read about the number of predatory sales men and services shops that belong to the big names to see how much of an insider very wealthy owner they can become. Most car dealership owners are very wealthy these days.

Again - no harm to a single union. Unions have lost their way and place these days. They simply allow the union management to typically become corrupt on the backs of their members and they negotiate pay and benefits beyond the skill or job being done. I've been surprised at the number of car factories we have here and even the foreign brands that build here, but with the economy and new big wage hikes, check back in 5 to 10 years and see if there are more or less of them here. I understand being able to make a living wage for skills, but there is no skill left on an assembly line. Now the UAW doesn't even want to work 40 hours for their hourly pay, they think 32 is enough. Just check back in a few years.

Sorry to still see how many people are pissed because Elon took risks. Risks that no one else was willing to do, yet everyone has now lined up knowing he is the only one that will save the day with his charging network.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

They worked with other manufacturers helping them with their own EVs to satisfy reduced carbon emissions government requirements. Nobody took Tesla serious and they gambled on themselves. Why pay someone else for their patents when you are capable of making a simplified easy to manufacture a piece of equipment that you own and manage

Reactions: GDN

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I was hoping to avoid some of the Tesla bickering on other forums, and I unwittingly participated in it. Whoops.

My big overarching point was that they make quality hardware. You may not like the people behind them, but that record speaks for itself, and it’s not just me saying that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.