• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Encourage Software Update?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Wait, what?!

Do we need cell signal to get updates?
Yes, visit civilization once and a while and you'll get the downloads
Sponsored

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Yes, visit civilization once and a while and you'll get the downloads
[sigh] I'm screwed...

Does the frigging thing need to be charging, lvb over 90%, battery tender running, hvb over 90%, and your first born in the backseat to download updates too?

Sorry, venting, I know most here have delt with this for a lot longer than I have. Just frustrated to be on 4.2 and not seeing any movement.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Wait, what?!

Do we need cell signal to get updates? Cell coverage at my home is MISERABLE with maybe one spot under the tree in the front yard being good enough to hold a phone call. This is obviously much much worse in my garage, which also happens to be 10' lower and surrounded by trees in the back yard.
If you have decent home internet, consider contacting your cell provider and asking for a cell booster. They hook into your home Internet and create a mini cell tower that will allow you to make phone calls, have 4gLTE data, etc.

Might help with your truck updates too, just know that the truck uses at&t towers to communicate.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Does the frigging thing need to be charging, lvb over 90%, battery tender running, hvb over 90%, and your first born in the backseat to download updates too?
That and you should consider taking the significant other to a nice Italian dinner in the big city one a month.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
If you have decent home internet, consider contacting your cell provider and asking for a cell booster. They hook into your home Internet and create a mini cell tower that will allow you to make phone calls, have 4gLTE data, etc.

Might help with your truck updates too, just know that the truck uses at&t towers to communicate.
Unfortunately I have one and it almost made the issues worse. With wifi I can do wifi calling and it works anywhere in my mesh network, when the booster is in place it defaults to cell and if you move anywhere the signal gets weak and drops calls all the time.

On top of the poor cell reception they built my house with concrete board so I had to install an elaborate wifi mesh system just to work. Which obviously is part of the problem with the booster.

Personally, I also think the local transformer is going bad and flooding the whole area with rf. Half a mile up the road and half a mile down everything works. My house? Compete deadzone

The booster is a good idea though, I can throw that in the far reaches of the garage and not mess with the rest of the house

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Unfortunately I have one and it almost made the issues worse. With wifi I can do wifi calling and it works anywhere in my mesh network, when the booster is in place it defaults to cell and if you move anywhere the signal gets weak and drops calls all the time.

On top of the poor cell reception they built my house with concrete board so I had to install an elaborate wifi mesh system just to work. Which obviously is part of the problem with the booster.

Personally, I also think the local transformer is going bad and flooding the whole area with rf. Half a mile up the road and half a mile down everything works. My house? Compete deadzone

The booster is a good idea though, I can throw that in the far reaches of the garage and not mess with the rest of the house
Having the truck connected to wifi or having good/bad cellular reception will not determine when an OTA will queue up for you on the server. When an OTA trigger is created for your truck, then and only then does it matter if you have a good connection. First, you vehicle must ping the server back to let it know it received the OTA trigger. This only happens when the truck is turned on; whether you drive it or not. Once that handshake happens, the OTA will go through it's motions to verify the files and manifest. If this part checks out, then and only then will your truck try and download the files from the mothership. This is the time where it is important to have good cellular data.

So, you can have your truck parked under a cell phone tower with the LVB charged to 100% and it will make zero difference in terms of when an update will be sent to you.
Sponsored