• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
Electric cars are becoming increasingly popular, but a common concern remains for many owners - what about the battery? Most batteries used in electric cars today come with one of two major chemistries: Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) or Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP). LFP batteries are rising in popularity as they're cheaper to manufacturer, and more sustainable since they use more common materials. Each chemistry has unique properties, and benefits from specific best practices, as it relates to making the battery last for a long time. This video will look at the latest research and discuss four major best practices for LFP batteries when it comes to capacity retention and longevity.

Sponsored

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
In short:
- Charge NMC frequently up to 80% (every day).
- Charge LFP up to 100% once you’ve gone through most of the battery (once a week).
This but also I'd like to add an important addendum that this advice is solely useful if your only goal is to maximize the battery's capacity over time.

Don't want to do this? Don't worry. Your battery will still outlast the car it's strapped to.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
As someone who lives in the northeast and frequently drives up to Maine, I am so thankful that we don't have LFP batteries in any of our EVs. Severe range hit below freezing and punitive cold weather DC charging rates would be a showstopper for me.

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Great video, as usual from this creator. I love a good technical deep dive, and he always brings the receipts. I think it was actually one of his videos several years ago that opened my up to the possibility of an EV as my daily driver. Now I have 4 in my household.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
- Charge NMC frequently up to 80% (every day).
Could you please show a reference where you got the everyday charging recommendation from? I cycle between 40%-60% SOC most of the year and 30%-50% in summer. That is charging once a week. That is as close as I can get it to storing the battery at 50% while using the truck in a way that is convenient for me. My 12V Battery SOC is always at a healthy level.

If what you mean is for someone that uses +20% SOC everyday, charging everyday is better than charging once every five days, that makes sense (lower DOD) but for someone like me that use only 20% the whole week, why would I want to charge every day?

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Could you please show a reference where you got the everyday charging recommendation from? I cycle between 40%-60% SOC most of the year and 30%-50% in summer. That is charging once a week. That is as close as I can get it to storing the battery at 50% while using the truck in a way that is convenient for me. My 12V Battery SOC is always at a healthy level.

If what you mean is for someone that uses +20% SOC everyday, charging everyday is better than charging once every five days, that makes sense (lower DOD) but for someone like me that use only 20% the whole week, why would I want to charge every day?
Note:
This video is for LFP batteries which the lightning does not have! for the NMC Batteries which we do have it is recommended to charge smaller charges more often.
As far as storing the batteries, I don’t think a week is what they are talking about they are talking about over extended amounts of time. You are probably just fine doing what you’re doing if that’s all you’re using the vehicle and depending on how hot it is where you live!

Although I have not seen anything definitive on the storage aspect.-ie. are they talking about a week, two weeks, a month, six months or a year?

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I do the same as Maxx. In 1.25 years, I've only put 3200 miles on my truck and only driven it several times a week for short distances except for a ~ once-a-month round trip to Austin of ~170 to ~180 miles. So, my truck is effectively in storage most of the time. I also have quite a few Li-ion battery-powered devices that have lasted a decade or more effectively stored at ~50% SOC (usually kept between ~40% to 60% SOC) that I only use occasionally. Where SOH measures are available, they're all in the 92% to 97% SOH range. Especially in a hot climate, keeping a Li-ion battery below 80% SOC on average is more conducive to retaining its capacity long-term. If you need the capacity, by all means, make the fullest use of your battery. I plan on keeping my truck for a LONG time and don't want the double whammy of usage and cold weather reduced capacity 10 or 15 years down the road. We've inherited the "fill'er-up" syndrome from ICE vehicles, where a trip to the gas station is time out of your day. With charging at home, you can always keep your vehicle at the level that works for you on a daily basis, no sweat.

Straight out of Lightning manual, page 197 of version 1.1, 2023 (emphasis added):
Storage State of Charge
You can increase the battery life by
maintaining your state of charge below
100%. When you park your vehicle for an
extended period of 30 days or more, we
recommend your battery be at an
approximately 50% state of charge.
Storing your vehicle's high voltage battery
at higher states of charge is less favorable
than storing at lower states of charge.
The only real difference between using and storing your vehicle is the need for a "full tank" on a daily basis and the impracticality of maneuvering to a 50% SOC, changing your charger settings, etc., if you're going to be driving the truck again in a day or two. But if you don't need a "full tank," keeping your truck "in storage" as much as possible is going to be better, as Ford describes in the truck's own manual...

Last edited:

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT SR, Max Tow, 23 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
As someone who lives in the northeast and frequently drives up to Maine, I am so thankful that we don't have LFP batteries in any of our EVs. Severe range hit below freezing and punitive cold weather DC charging rates would be a showstopper for me.
I agree. I am from Maine. Cold and LFP do not mix. I am anxious to see a Mach E LFP VS NMC comparison below freezing.....

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500

Two videos. Here’s the NMC one

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I agree. I am from Maine. Cold and LFP do not mix. I am anxious to see a Mach E LFP VS NMC comparison below freezing.....
Most Teslas up here in Canada are standard range LFP. We survive with them 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT SR, Max Tow, 23 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Most Teslas up here in Canada are standard range LFP. We survive with them 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yes I’ll have seen many reviews of the Tesla Winter range loss with the LFP as well as the Chicago US charging issues last Winter due to the LFPs not preheating as well accepting 1.2-1.4 kWh charging rates…

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Yes I’ll have seen many reviews of the Tesla Winter range loss with the LFP as well as the Chicago US charging issues last Winter due to the LFPs not preheating as well accepting 1.2-1.4 kWh charging rates…
Wasn’t the Chicago thing a mishmash of chargers being offline and rental cars where users didn’t know how to use preheating? Also weren’t most of the vehicles in that parking area model y’s? NMC

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Two videos. Here’s the NMC one
Thanks. I have seen both and they support everything I currently believe to be true. Did you mention it because you believe I need to change my mind about something?

The only thing I am not sure about is if changing my 20% DOD from 30-50 to 40-60 means my contribution to cracking is the same as someone that does 30-60 or it is the same as someone that does 40-60 all the time. If you have pointers to studies that can answer that question, it will be helpful.
Sponsored

Last edited: