• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I haven’t read through all the replies. My Lightning failed initially at a compatible Tesla site. I found that when using the Tesla APP I hadn’t set up the app letting it know I had an adapter. Once I clicked YES it charged fine.

I also couldn’t use Plug and Charge with the Ford app. I didn't have the Ford update installed. It was pushed to me a few days ago.

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1480

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1461
Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1463
Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1462
Sponsored

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I haven’t read through all the replies. My Lightning failed initially at a compatible Tesla site. I found that when using the Tesla APP I hadn’t set up the app letting it know I had an adapter. Once I clicked YES it charged fine.

I also couldn’t use Plug and Charge with the Ford app. I didn't have the Ford update installed. It was pushed to me a few days ago.

IMG_1480.png

IMG_1461.jpeg
IMG_1463.png
IMG_1462.png
I had done that and I also updated the app but will double check just in case something got "outta whack". Thanks for the info!

subseavet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Occupation
R&D Engineer
Yes, I had the same issue. The tolerances are pretty tight on this adapter and particularly with new Tesla stations or ones that don’t get much usage, it’s very hard to get the adapter to insert properly and fully lock. I actually filed the corners off locking pin a little bit so that it would engage a little better.
The first time I used it, I almost gave up because I couldn’t get the lock to engage. It was a solid ten minutes of fiddling with it before I could get it to work.
The very same thing happened to me. Once I finally got it to engage the lock, it worked like a dream. And boy howdy, the truck charged faster than ever! Stick with it!

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
Not the official way to use one of these, but I always just plug the adapter into the truck, and the push the Tesla cable into it. I get the immediate feedback from the charging ring this way.

Sponsored

JIMINGA

First Name
JIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 LIGHTNING FLASH
Occupation
SOCIAL WORKER
I’ve learned there is a very specific sequence of actions you need to do for this to work. At least in my own experience:
1. Truck off
2. Open tesla app and find the charger location and select it to begin the charging session (I don’t have plug and charge so I can’t do that yet)
3. Take the tesla charger handle off the hook and then put the A2Z adapter on nice and snug.
4. Slide the lock into place on the adapter. Again nice a snug.
5. plug the adapter into the truck and make sure the top hook clicks in fully.
charging should then start.

JIMINGA

First Name
JIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 LIGHTNING FLASH
Occupation
SOCIAL WORKER
This sequence of actions is EXTREMELY USEFUL, HELPFUL, and thank you MountainAlive for sharing what worked for you! I take possession of my 24' Lightning Flash tomorrow afternoon. Educating myself on charging since that's the biggest challenge!

marac243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2023
Aw man, I'm really hoping that the group here can help me out, I'm really frustrated. Pulled the trigger on a Typhoon Pro, waited an extra two weeks from original date to actually get it, and drove my sweet truck to a compatible Tesla charger. DID NOT WORK. Sadly went away for Labor Day in my ICE vehicle. Came back, tried again using MountainAlives suggestions, DID NOT WORK. Examined the adaptor and noticed that one of the small Tesla connector pins was shorter than the other. Weird. Notified A2Z and to their credit, they overnighted me another one. This adaptor had pins the same size. "Great!", I thought, now I know why the first didn't work and I'm back in business! Went to same station and...DID NOT WORK.

I’m able to plug in just fine, the problem is that Tesla app times out and tells me “Could not make connection” once I select the charger and select “start charging”. Same with the Ford app except nothing happens once I select the charger in the app. Here's my troubleshooting so far:

• Audible clicks and secure connections to Tesla charger and to truck
  • Continuous blue light when connected
  • Tesla charger is listed as compatible both on Tesla and Ford app
  • Software up to date
  • Tried 3 different chargers in the same station
  • Have tried every order combination I have found on this forum and Rivian’s forum’s (just in case) and made up some new ones.
I'm not sure where to go from here other than trying another Tesla station. Any ideas?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Aw man, I'm really hoping that the group here can help me out, I'm really frustrated. Pulled the trigger on a Typhoon Pro, waited an extra two weeks from original date to actually get it, and drove my sweet truck to a compatible Tesla charger. DID NOT WORK. Sadly went away for Labor Day in my ICE vehicle. Came back, tried again using MountainAlives suggestions, DID NOT WORK. Examined the adaptor and noticed that one of the small Tesla connector pins was shorter than the other. Weird. Notified A2Z and to their credit, they overnighted me another one. This adaptor had pins the same size. "Great!", I thought, now I know why the first didn't work and I'm back in business! Went to same station and...DID NOT WORK.

I’m able to plug in just fine, the problem is that Tesla app times out and tells me “Could not make connection” once I select the charger and select “start charging”. Same with the Ford app except nothing happens once I select the charger in the app. Here's my troubleshooting so far:

• Software up to date
  • Have tried every order combination I have found on this forum and Rivian’s forum’s (just in case) and made up some new ones.
I'm not sure where to go from here other than trying another Tesla station. Any ideas?
🤔. You might get A2Z on the phone while there and see if they might talk you through it and see what happens.

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER (Sept ‘23 build)
Not the official way to use one of these, but I always just plug the adapter into the truck, and the push the Tesla cable into it. I get the immediate feedback from the charging ring this way.
Believe that is part of the new instructions for the typhoon pro…

Sponsored

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER (Sept ‘23 build)

• Software up to date
Did you look in the Tesla app to see if there are any outages? It’ll tell you if there are chargers that are offline…. Happened to me in Houston and took me about 4 different chargers before I got one that worked.

marac243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2023
Did you look in the Tesla app to see if there are any outages? It’ll tell you if there are chargers that are offline…. Happened to me in Houston and took me about 4 different chargers before I got one that worked.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. There were Tesla's using the chargers I was testing, both before I tried them and afterwards, so I don't think there was a power outage.

I contacted Ford support as I'm getting a notice on my truck that the Blue Oval network is not activated, even though I activated it a year ago and it shows active on the Ford app. I didn't think this was much of an issue as I've been charging at Electrify America just fine, but I'm covering all possibilities.

If that doesn't fix the problem I'm going to try a different Tesla station and get A2Z on the phone, as The Weatherman suggested...

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
I contacted Ford support as I'm getting a notice on my truck that the Blue Oval network is not activated, even though I activated it a year ago and it shows active on the Ford app. I didn't think this was much of an issue as I've been charging at Electrify America just fine, but I'm covering all possibilities.
It doesn't sound like this is the root of your problem, but you might try deactivating Blue Oval (in your Ford accout) and then re-enabling it (all your settings are saved). I had to do that to get Plug & Charge working, but I was always able to charge using the A2Z and the Tesla app.
Sponsored