Sponsored

First Two Months Of Ownership Have Been A Nightmare

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I didn't know the app was needed for the adaptor, there is an EV focused help online as I recall with a number to call, they could maybe light a fire with dealership and adaptor.

The Ford messenger on this forum is not useful, mostly just marketing and social media. I assume everything else is fine with the truck.
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Sorry to hear of you troubles. Very frustrating. I share the view of others in the thread that, once you get past all of this, you'll love the truck.

For me, I've always (since 1992 that is) bought my Ford's from my local dealer, Bonnell Ford in Winchester, MA. Great support. Family owned dealer. I've moved away from Winchester but I still go there for all sales and service.

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
I assumed the FordPass app must be useful until I used it. I couldn't find anything it could do that I wanted. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shot.

I'm surprised to hear your report that any Ford dealer can refuse to continue to work on a problem they have decided they don't want to bother to solve, with a Ford that is under warranty. I would have called Ford to have them confirm that they don't care about this, i.e. that the Ford manufacturer's warranty is only useful if you can find a dealer willing to honor it. I would be studying my state's lemon law if Ford told me my warranty was basically worthless depending on where I live.

My general impression of my Lightning is that I'm delighted I was in a position that I could buy one of these, notwithstanding the issues associated with it. It is taking me longer than I thought to understand how to operate this vehicle, but the more familiar I become with it the more delighted I am to own it. This forum has been very valuable to me as I try to distinguish between problems that have easy workarounds and those that would require service.

EVs are evolving rapidly and we are fairly early adopters. I'm a bit surprised that Ford is having problems with software development. It seems their dealer technicians have been making too many errors when it comes to deciding a problem is software or hardware which has cost Ford so much they are requiring this lengthy approval process before allowing warranty work.

owl123

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, Model Y, Honda Odyssey
Completely understand your frustration. I'm hoping I don't run into any similar issues because I just recently purchased a truck from an out of state dealership.

That said, it sounds like everything you are dealing with has stemmed from a single issue. Doesn't make it any less frustrating, but I clicked on this thread expecting to see a story with multiple vehicle issues. Sounds like you are really getting subpar service from Ford rather than any tremendous issues with your truck.

And FWIW, as someone who also owns a Model Y, I've personally been pretty disappointed with the FordPass app. It can do a few things for me and I like PAAK, but nowhere near the Tesla experience. Ford is miles behind Tesla on many aspects that I really like about my Model Y and, frankly, I doubt they'll ever catch them. That said, without those expectations in place, I can really appreciate how awesome the truck is at the same time.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
here's where I find an annoyance about your situation: you are relying on a 'selling dealer' to somehow take care of all your questions and needs - you probably have a FORD dealer MUCH closer. ANY Ford Dealer can help you... your truck is under warranty. Driving 4 hours and LEAVING your truck is a problem that you, yourself, have contributed to.

Your Ford Pass App is also not required to drive the vehicle, although I'm sure you'd like the amenities it provides, for sure, but it's not REQUIRED to drive the vehicle.
I'm looking for some advice. I've owned probably 10 Ford vehicles and this has easily been the worst experience.

A) I bought from a dealership 4 hours away...
- I've bought several BRAND NEW vehicles, like you, one over 850 miles away, because they HAD the exact model and trim and options that I wanted.
But, the brand has a LOCAL dealer close by who has no issues with warranty issues, or service, etc.

B) ... trying to set up FordPass app. .. so I can locate EA chargers and get home 4 hours away,
- you don't need that to 'find' chargers. Google maps works perfectly, or the EA or Chargepoint or EVgo or any other brand charger's app, including now, Tesla, if you have an adapter. Any of these have navigation, if that's your concern.

C) So 6 weeks after buying truck I'm heading back to the dealership 4 hours away
- leaving a vehicle at a service center or Dealership is just asking for hardship - 'they' don't have the same urgency you do. 'they' have other customers who came before you. 'they' are at the mercy of parts deliveries. If they don't have the part, don't take your truck there, until they do.

D) In the meantime, I've spent money on a hotel, gas for the loaner vehicle, charging costs to get back to dealership...
- you didn't 'have' to drive 4 hours away, or 'spend the night' - that's really your choice. Gas comes with driving any vehicle, if you are willing to accept their 'gas loaner'.

E)... and I missed out on the NACS adapter deadline since I can't access my FordPass.
- as an owner, you have access to your Ford BlueOval account, where all your vehicle information, connectivity, and payment/ordering options lie. You have access to that regardless of the Ford Pass App. That's where you 'order' any items, or the adapter, etc.
Any advice?
1) you've put yourself in aggravating places with your choices. Driving 4 hours to buy a vehicle is not a problem, in itself, but expected to have to drive back to that same dealer for warranty or service or technical issues is the problem. You don't have to.
2) don't ever leave a vehicle at a dealer who simply 'says' they will take care of you. MAKE SURE they give you a SPECIFIC timeframe, or guarantee, that your truck will be READY, when you are. Ford doesn't pay for your 'inconvenience' of driving to a dealer, or your time, or trouble, whether it's simply across town, or 8 hours away, or in a different state, or during the winter months, etc. Your 'problems' are technical problems, not MECHANICAL ones - none of that is keeping you from driving your truck. Annoying? Yes. But not prohibitive.
3) the App, whether Tesla, or Ford, is not the end-all to enjoying or driving your LIGHTNING. This is an AMAZING machine. Don't let these short-term personal issues keep you from the end goal. Ford will, eventually, get it straightened out, or help you to find the connectivity you need. Ford's NAVIGATION is not going to be the 'only' source to get you where you want to go - use your phone. Ford's on-screen Charge App is also not going to be the only way to 'find' charging options - use your phone.

We just returned from Panama City Beach - towing our camper. Not a single issue. Charged only at Tesla Superchargers - not a single issue. It's all good.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lcsmall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
you probably have a FORD dealer MUCH closer. ANY Ford Dealer can help you...
You must have missed the part where I did go to a local Ford dealer and they were only willing to do a basic reset of systems and not a full diagnostic check.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
You must have missed the part where I did go to a local Ford dealer and they were only willing to do a basic reset of systems and not a full diagnostic check.
PM me the VIN. I'll poke around and see if I see anything helpful.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
@Ford Motor Company needs a Rapid Response Team to address issues like this. Ford's reputation is taking a beating on minor to moderate problems which do not get addressed for a disproportionately excessive amount of time ... which creates havoc in the life of the owners for a disproportionately excessive amount of time. And, this forum and social media allow the owners to shine a bright light on the incompetency and lack of customer service. Our trucks have FORD displayed in several highly visible locations. Ford owns this whether they realize it or not.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Done. Thanks.
Got your message and yes, I did look up your issue before. I looked up our previous convo (impossible for me to remember every case). However, I am still in the same situation as back then where I can't see any codes since your truck is not reporting anything to the cloud. The country code in your TCU is correct, so that's not it. See if you can find your FORScan adapter and pull the codes your truck is reporting. That would be a big help.

If you have not done it yet, disconnect the negative cable from your battery and let it sit like that for 15 minutes or so and plug it back in. If the TCU and/or GWM is in some funky state, this will cause a hard reboot of the modules. You'd be surprised how many things rebooting those modules have been known to fix. With FORScan, you can reboot them without disconnecting anything or pulling any fuses.

OP
OP

lcsmall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Got your message and yes, I did look up your issue before. I looked up our previous convo (impossible for me to remember every case). However, I am still in the same situation as back then where I can't see any codes since your truck is not reporting anything to the cloud. The country code in your TCU is correct, so that's not it. See if you can find your FORScan adapter and pull the codes your truck is reporting. That would be a big help.

If you have not done it yet, disconnect the negative cable from your battery and let it sit like that for 15 minutes or so and plug it back in. If the TCU and/or GWM is in some funky state, this will cause a hard reboot of the modules. You'd be surprised how many things rebooting those modules have been known to fix. With FORScan, you can reboot them without disconnecting anything or pulling any fuses.
Thanks for looking it up. I can't do anything with the truck right now since it's 4 hours away at the selling dealership. FWIW, I did try disconnecting the negative battery cable and it didn't solve the issue. I appreciate the help.
Sponsored