FitCamX Wifi conflict

grange

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford Lightning
Just installed the fitcamx - simple installation!
However, the wifi integration when using my android phone presented me a problem. Whenever i attempted to connect to the FitcamX wifi - my truck would immediately switch back to my auto-android wifi connection thus not allowing my phone to connect to the FitCamx. Luckily i also carry an iphone for work and decided to make the iphone my primary phone to connect with the auto-play feature and that solved my problem. But for people who do not carry two phones and/or for the pure simpicity - is there a work around so I do not have to switch phones when connecting to the Fitcamx?
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I’m not an Android user, but I would think, much the iPhone, you should be able to go into your WiFi settings and select the FitCamX from a list of available WiFi locations. At least I do that on my iPhone when I want to see the video on my FitCamx.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
My husband's Android will connect to our Fitcam immediately. To do it with mine, I need to turn off bluetooth and then turn it back on. I had read putting it in and out of airplane mode will also do it. Regardless of my phone being connected, it is still recording the data. Unless you need to check for an incident, or to make sure it is overwriting the old recordings once the SD card is full, you shouldn't need to access Fitcam all the time.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
You have to make sure auto reconnect is off on your phones WIFI connection to the camera, and when you do connect to the camera there will be a pop-up that says there's no Internet with this connection choose what to do click stay connected.

EDIT WIFI NOT BT

Last edited:
Reactions: OFP

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Just installed the fitcamx - simple installation!
my truck would immediately switch back to my auto-android wifi connection thus not allowing my phone to connect to the FitCamx.
I'm a little confused by your wording here. Are you saying the Android Auto would reconnect and thus take over your phone's wifi radio? Or are you saying your phone is switching to your trucks connected hotspot?

If it's the first, you are going to need to disable wireless Android Auto to connect to the cam. If it's the second, you'll need to figure out how to stop your phone from automatically finding "better" wifi, you can temporarily delete the truck hotspot from your phone's known wifi connections to do so as well.

Honestly, either solution is frustrating, but it's the nature of the game with 3rd party accessories like dash cams. I hate the fact that there are so many cameras on this truck and I have to buy 2 more (front and rear) because Ford can't/won't let them act as dashcams.

When it comes to software, Ford had all the notes from Tesla, and still didn't bother to study for the test. I don't expect Tesla level software, but at least understand what customers are looking for these days.

Sponsored
OP
OP

grange

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford Lightning
I'm a little confused by your wording here. Are you saying the Android Auto would reconnect and thus take over your phone's wifi radio? Or are you saying your phone is switching to your trucks connected hotspot?

If it's the first, you are going to need to disable wireless Android Auto to connect to the cam. If it's the second, you'll need to figure out how to stop your phone from automatically finding "better" wifi, you can temporarily delete the truck hotspot from your phone's known wifi connections to do so as well.

Honestly, either solution is frustrating, but it's the nature of the game with 3rd party accessories like dash cams. I hate the fact that there are so many cameras on this truck and I have to buy 2 more (front and rear) because Ford can't/won't let them act as dashcams.

When it comes to software, Ford had all the notes from Tesla, and still didn't bother to study for the test. I don't expect Tesla level software, but at least understand what customers are looking for these days.
@invertedspear - i am fairly tech savvy on this stuff. When i turn on the car my android wifi automatically connects to Ford's "android auto wifi" that allows my phone to communicate via the built in android auto feature. I See my dashcam wifi and select it. It connects for a mili-second and then reconnects to the android auto. Andoid auto will not let me disconnect. I literally went into the truck settings to disable the android auto feature and then it worked fine. But i do not want to do that everytime i need to check my dashcam.

I may just need to reset and try again - as it sounds like everyone else is able to retain Android Auto and select the dash wifi when needed?

thanks.

OP
OP

grange

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford Lightning
straight from FitCamX support:
Hello,

The phone cannot be connected to CarPlay/Android Auto and the camera WIFI at the same time because they are both connected via WIFI. But the camera records automatically, you don't need to be connected to the camera all the time. So when you drive, just connect CarPlay/Android Auto and the camera will works as well.

If you want to connect the camera, just turn off the Bluetooth of your phone , then connect the camera WIFI.

If you want to connect the CarPlay/Android Auto, just forget the dash cam’s WIFI password, then connect your CarPlay normally. In this way, the phone will not be connected to the camera and affect CarPlay/Android Auto.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
If your goal is to connect to the camera, you might try wired AA (or CarPlay - they both seem to do the same thing). AA will then work over the wired connection and leave Wifi available for the camera. Will have to test that out. I've used wired CarPlay several times, I just don't know if indeed they leave Wifi disconnected when cabled.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
For me on iOS, I just disconnect CarPlay from the Lightning’s “phone list” in the settings. It stops it from trying to auto reconnect.

Reactions: GDN

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
My FitcamX does not automatically start recording, I think if it has not been connected to its App for some? time. Frustrating .
Maybe I will try the second phone or do the wired Android Auto.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
My FitcamX does not automatically start recording, I think if it has not been connected to its App for some? time. Frustrating .
Maybe I will try the second phone or do the wired Android Auto.
Yep that sucks sometimes. The recent ios app seems to finally work better with that for me. When I want to see it on my phone screen while using CarPlay I just have the app switch to the FitcamX wifi and it automatically turns off my CarPlay and connects to the camera. They really-really-really over at FitcamX need to update there app and make it CarPlay compatible like the great folks over at Car Scanner did for there OBD-2 app. The car scanner app now is a CarPlay icon on the trucks main screen. Night and day difference once they do that if they ever do it at FitcamX for our dash cams.
Sponsored