First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Also, what charger is in the picture that Kevin 22 posted?
Sponsored

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Also, what charger is in the picture that Kevin 22 posted?
I am 99% sure the answer is no. They are not using the truck to power the house/powerwall. Kevin22 has the 48 amp ford connected charger. You can see it on ford's website. It is not capable of sending power back to the house. It only has a J1772 plug.

I think they have the chargers hooked to the powerwall so the truck can be charged off battery/solar when there is a power outage.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
OK, thanks for the info!!

Supposedly the powerwall 3 has bidirectional ability so I am trying to figure out if I can use that instead of the HIS from Ford/Sunrun and that would also give you a little extra back up power from the powerwall. Having this ability in basically one unit makes more sense.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I have solar and power wall, and on one hand sure, it'd be kinda nice to be able to supplement our house in an emergency, but really if there was an extended power outage, I'd probably just run an extension cord from the truck's outlets if I wanted to take some of its power so we would make it on the power wall to until the sun comes up.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
OK, thanks for the info!!

Supposedly the powerwall 3 has bidirectional ability so I am trying to figure out if I can use that instead of the HIS from Ford/Sunrun and that would also give you a little extra back up power from the powerwall. Having this ability in basically one unit makes more sense.

I haven't seen anything yet that lead me to believe Tesla's powerwall bidirectional stuff will work with anything but a Tesla. Just like ford's only works with fords, and GMC's will only work with GMC products. The communication between the vehicle and charger/inverters are proprietary at this point and I haven't seen where anyone has that part figured out.

Sponsored

Bigbuckhunter71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LIGHTNING Pro
Occupation
Electrician
It's the craziest thing.
People who post the installs and don't reply back,it's like they are not allowed to share the information after the tesla installs.
I will post all information when my install is final ,there won't be any guessing on how it will work.
I have a 8kw solar system ,
A 80amp ford charger
A 2023 Lighting
And I'm waiting for Tesla to install my PW3(it's in design phase)
Tesla is not thrilled for hooking up my existing 8kw solar system to PW3 but it can be done.
I'm hoping to have a whole home backup with my Lighting.
Tesla has said they will eventually be able to have other bi-directional vehicles use PW3 for whole home backup and V2G to take vehicle battery to the grid if the grid ask for it.
The future is here!
I keep you posted!

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
Actually it is the communication between the truck and the inverter which is proprietary to the HIS system. With out this communication the truck will not open up the dc contactor to supply current. The Tesla power wall does not have the ability to communicate with the truck and turn on the dc contactor
In my opinion this proprietary communication between the truck and the HIS is a major drawback to the whole F150L-to-house setup. Ford could increase the value of the truck as a battery backup if this communication used an open-source protocol.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In my opinion this proprietary communication between the truck and the HIS is a major drawback to the whole F150L-to-house setup. Ford could increase the value of the truck as a battery backup if this communication used an open-source protocol.
I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but I think it bears repeating. I think the reason for locking down the battery access goes back to the federally-mandated 8 year/ 100,000 mile battery warranty. Someone using V2G for power rate arbitrage could fully cycle the battery every day, causing it to no longer meet the warranty conditions in 3-5 years.

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but I think it bears repeating. I think the reason for locking down the battery access goes back to the federally-mandated 8 year/ 100,000 mile battery warranty. Someone using V2G for power rate arbitrage could fully cycle the battery every day, causing it to no longer meet the warranty conditions in 3-5 years.
I agree with this, but you can cause similar battery cycling by using the onboard inverters and Pro Power, although it would involve more manual steps.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I agree with this, but you can cause similar battery cycling by using the onboard inverters and Pro Power, although it would involve more manual steps.
You couldn’t do a full ER cycle in 24 hours at 7.2 KW. And it would be very difficult to load it to exactly 7.2 KW continuously.

But I agree, you could degrade the battery before end of warranty this way, if you tried hard enough. But not while doing anything useful or practical.
Sponsored