• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Dropping Ball by Not Rolling Out OTA Updates more often

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
AT LEAST let us "pull" whatever update is next. The push model is OK for vehicles that are current, but there's a ton of us who are on some super-relaxed schedule where it feels like it'll take months or years to get up to date.
There is a huge assumption of success on Ford's side with this. It's a good model where they vet that the update will work with your exact configuration before making it available. The problem is they assume success that the truck was properly marked as sold (minimal updates to cars on the lot), they assume success that your truck "finds" the update during the window it's available, and they assume success on the Ford side that it installs once downloaded, and they cut you off from getting it again until the next "sweep". I really wish they'd adopt the apple model of showing us updates that are vetted for our hardware, and then allowing us to request the update and which puts us in line to download it from the server.

What I don't understand is how the Mach-E gets updates months before we do. Good thing the actually hardware is better than the software.
There is a HUGE amount of testing that goes on with auto software. They test and vet each model and each configuration one at a time. It stands to reason that since the MME has been on the market longer, it would be first in line to be tested and passed for each update.
Sponsored

Last edited:

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I don't know. The truck has worked since Day 1. I'd rather have Ford fully test and incrementally rolling out updates than the alternative of feeling like I am driving a beta product.

The only one that I got really worked up about was the Tesla adapter update and then realized that it wasn't necessary to use a Supercharger anyway.

I would like to see a Blue Cruise update before my 3 year trial is up, but I've got like another 20 months before that's a thing.

Superchargers included in routing will be nice when it's ready, but again, willing to wait for something that doesn't suck.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I don't know. The truck has worked since Day 1. I'd rather have Ford fully test and incrementally rolling out updates than the alternative of feeling like I am driving a beta product.

The only one that I got really worked up about was the Tesla adapter update and then realized that it wasn't necessary to use a Supercharger anyway.

I would like to see a Blue Cruise update before my 3 year trial is up, but I've got like another 20 months before that's a thing.

Superchargers included in routing will be nice when it's ready, but again, willing to wait for something that doesn't suck.
I have a feeling the native routing is always going to suck. If you think Ford doesn't update enough now, the maps get even less updating. I'm not sure my maps have even updated once while I've had the truck. On my last one, it seems that there might be a manual one you had to buy every couple or few years. Even then, I set mine to avoid unpaved roads and what does it do no matter which choices I take...It will route me down that dirt road every time. Maybe they should partner with someone else for the native maps rather than leave it to HereWeGo.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
These recent updates are bricking trucks it looks like. It’s gonna be forever until they start again. :(

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
I would like to see a Blue Cruise update before my 3 year trial is up, but I've got like another 20 months before that's a thing
There is no way that I would renew my BC subscription unless Ford updates me to 1.4 (or something better).

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model S
I'm sort of glad they don't push them out a lot, because updates can and have in the past screw things up royally. It's better to be cautious and slow with the updates than just throw them out willy-nilly.
I would disagree. Tesla allows customers to request early updates or disable to be late in the updates. Your comfort with the tech updates is very different than mine. I personally am willing to be a guinea pig on updates (I did sign up for Early Access Program, although, all that does is get me surveys. Even those have stopped as of late).

There are certain customers willing to test these things. I for one have not received an update since we received map updates back in February with NACS. It is odd that we were promised so many things through OTA, yet many of us have not received them. When I go to my dealer, they tell me it is up to date.

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
What I don't understand is how the Mach-E gets updates months before we do. Good thing the actually hardware is better than the software.
Probably because the MachE doesn't tow.

Sponsored

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
They should change the statement to "Checking for OTA Updates"
Or checking to see if you’re a winner. “Sorry, please play again tomorrow.”

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
I'm sort of glad they don't push them out a lot, because updates can and have in the past screw things up royally. It's better to be cautious and slow with the updates than just throw them out willy-nilly.
that’s not really an excuse for not being able to retry an update that failed. If it failed, you should have access IMMEDIATELY

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
Due to the additional stressors and complexity of towing, updates to OTA items like Bluecruise maybe take a bit longer to update.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
Due to the additional stressors and complexity of towing, updates to OTA items like Bluecruise maybe take a bit longer to update.
you can’t tow with blue cruise on. And software isn’t affected by physical components. I don’t anticipate there is much of a link between the two in their release process.
Sponsored