• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Dropping Ball by Not Rolling Out OTA Updates more often

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
I have a mongoose and drop the $50 for a two-day license every few months to update everything. (I got into this when Ford took forever to roll out the original Bluecruise on my '21 Powerboost) There are so many little annoyances that get fixed in updates that it almost feels like a new truck every time I update. The two biggest examples recently:

1) BC 1.4: Better than I've ever seen at staying locked into lanes, but the biggest win that no one is talking about is the speed prediction going into curves (even in just ACC mode). I can set the speed at 55mph on the twistiest highway and it will slow to the appropriate speed before each curve almost every time (depends on the map data). Very nice!

2) Apple Map routing now displays the miles to the next stop in the IPC under the range number (just like the built-in navigation). This is really helpful especially since now Apple Maps displays the final SOC% at the destination instead of miles (which is extremely useful, too).

If Ford were more religious about pushing out these updates, I think most owners would be much happier.

My $0.02.
Sponsored

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue
I do think BC 1.4 is substantially better than the 1.0 that I upgraded from. But I wouldn't advertise the speed prediction as anything great. It's fine when I'm by myself and expecting it, but if you're going 70mph on a 65mph road with a turn ahead that you can easily/safely/unnoticeably navigate at the set speed, but the truck figures you'd should slow to 60mph or less, it's really annoying to have to watch out for cars behind you as you unnecessarily slow around a mild bend in the road. And even worse when you have passengers and are like "why the heck did you brake for this?"..

All that being said, I agree.. 1.4 is much better than 1.0, still much to improve though.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
How do you know which updates to do in Forscan or can you do them all?

OP
OP

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You have to use FDRS to update the modules. Forscan just lets you change variables to activate/deactivate things that are already there.

CyclopsThere

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
AT LEAST let us "pull" whatever update is next. The push model is OK for vehicles that are current, but there's a ton of us who are on some super-relaxed schedule where it feels like it'll take months or years to get up to date.

Sponsored

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
AT LEAST let us "pull" whatever update is next. The push model is OK for vehicles that are current, but there's a ton of us who are on some super-relaxed schedule where it feels like it'll take months or years to get up to date.
I agree. When you click the 'update' button and it says, "Checking for Updates", the truck should actually check for possible updates. I always assumed that's what was happening given that's how every other updateable electronic device works!

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Rivian bricked a few trucks with updates, but that hasn't slowed them down at all. From what I gather, they've nearly caught up with Tesla on the SW front. I suppose it's easier when the vehicle is built from the ground up as an EV vs a hodgepodge of modules that we have. Still, Ford has little excuse to at minimum get everyone up to par.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I agree. When you click the 'update' button and it says, "Checking for Updates", the truck should actually check for possible updates. I always assumed that's what was happening given that's how every other updateable electronic device works!
They should change the statement to "Checking for OTA Updates"

Sponsored

Kit2874

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
I have a mongoose and drop the $50 for a two-day license every few months to update everything. (I got into this when Ford took forever to roll out the original Bluecruise on my '21 Powerboost) There are so many little annoyances that get fixed in updates that it almost feels like a new truck every time I update. The two biggest examples recently:

1) BC 1.4: Better than I've ever seen at staying locked into lanes, but the biggest win that no one is talking about is the speed prediction going into curves (even in just ACC mode). I can set the speed at 55mph on the twistiest highway and it will slow to the appropriate speed before each curve almost every time (depends on the map data). Very nice!

2) Apple Map routing now displays the miles to the next stop in the IPC under the range number (just like the built-in navigation). This is really helpful especially since now Apple Maps displays the final SOC% at the destination instead of miles (which is extremely useful, too).

If Ford were more religious about pushing out these updates, I think most owners would be much happier.

My $0.02.
I'm sort of glad they don't push them out a lot, because updates can and have in the past screw things up royally. It's better to be cautious and slow with the updates than just throw them out willy-nilly.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

My $0.02.
Is BC really known as 1.4? or is it 1.3? I thought even on the Mach E the 1.4 had been scrapped and they were getting 1.3 now.

OP
OP

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Who knows what the actual number is, I've just updated everything and flipped the right bits in Forscan to get the options. Nowhere do they tell you what "point version" of BC is running. I think they just stick those numbers in the OTA update notes.

Reactions: GDN

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Is BC really known as 1.4? or is it 1.3? I thought even on the Mach E the 1.4 had been scrapped and they were getting 1.3 now.
There is currently a "house-divided" situation on the Mach E forum when it comes to this. Some people believe that the -ACJ version of the IPMA is BC 1.4 based on the fact that the few Mach E's that got the 7.0.0 OTA got that version of the IPMA and it was released in FDRS at the same time the 1.4 OTA was released. Others think it was not really 1.4 and nothing exists beyond 1.3.

Personally, I am not updating out of what I have now for the new IPMA version whenever it makes its way to our vehicles. That is my choice and not a recommendation. I do not have any inside info that the ACJ version is better or worse than the new one.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER

My $0.02.
Don't the 24's have charging stats in the display now? Where's that at for all of us that helped pave the way with early adoption and markups? @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored